Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-21-05, 19:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/231/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Talking fibro cfs etc

Has anyone heard of this? I've been surfing and came accross this site
http://www.watercure.com/. It sounds easy enough to add a little salt to the water I drink. At that amount (1/4 tsp per quart) you would not even taste it.

Along with my weight I have Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue. This is supposed to help all 3 problems..

any comments
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-05, 12:46

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Hi, Karrier....

Yeah, I have a comment, I think it's BS.

Seriously. I understand what he's saying and it's probably true that a lot of people are dehydrated a little, but...

Speaking for myself, there is defnitely a connection between eating grains and fibro. When I low carb my aches and pains completely disappear and I'm sure its the lack of grains. Researchers have always suggested that fibro may in fact be just a food sensitivity. And for some of us, I believe it to be 100% true. One of my sisters had to give up grains...one of my brothers did also. So, I think for some of us, it's the solution.

Don't think I need more water. And by the way, I did try it before I knocked it (about five years ago maybe). It's not a magic bullet by any means and didn't affect the fibro at all. Just made me pee a lot!!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-05, 23:43

Plan: gluten free lc
Stats: 200/130/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 175%

I've been putting a little sea salt in my water to help with leg cramps, and I was concerned about my low blood pressure. Turns out I now am hypothyroid, which explains the year long stall. Anyway, drinking plenty water hasn't cured me of anything, but I feel it's important to keep hydrated.
Hey, Quietone, long time, no see. You've really gotten close to your goal weight--good for you! Hope you're feeling better. ~Gail
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-13-05, 11:50
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

This site connects grains to fibro as well, but does not elliminate root vegetables.
http://www.ctds.info/fibromyalgia-diet.html
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-05, 08:07

Hiya, Gail!

Yes, I feel much better! I've been lurking around now and then.

Life's been hectic lately (new home, new job etc). But it's so nice to be able to cope with all of that now! I even helped move the stuff with no issues. It's amazing when your body is healthy how much it affects your mind!

Yeah, I'm wondering if I should change my goal weight because my body seems perfectly happy right around where it is.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-05, 09:44
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I notice every time I eat higher carb, my aches get worse. Its either the sugar or the wheat, not sure which. I hope it is the sugar because I can easily replace that!

When you all say grains, do you mean wheat? I always thought people could have a gluten sensitivity which is just in wheat, right?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-05, 10:46

BF:

I avoid all grains right now. I don't know if it's just wheat or all the gluten grains that cause my muscle aches & joint pains, but I'm not in any hurry to find out. One of these days, when I can brace myself to be hurting for a few days, I'm going to try oatmeal, which does have the gluten. I think just about all true grains have gluten, which does NOT include rice, quinoa, buckwheat, amaranth and tapioca. I found some rice pasta (high carb) which is pretty good. I think sugar may be giving me stiffness. You know, after sitting awhile, it builds up and then lessens after moving around.
Quietone, I'd like to hear what you do to feel as good as you do...don't want to hijack this thread too much (unless it's ok with Karrier, original poster) but you can spell it out in my journal if you care too. Thanks, Gail
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-05, 16:10

I removed all grain...that includes the malted, liquid kind!

I sure don't understand our nature much...it seems to take some of us so long to get real and take care of ourselves. It seems so minor to just remove grain, but it is a huge issue for me. And I feel so much better, than it's not even worth finding out if I can eat a little of that or a little of this every now and again. It just isn't worth it and for me it is very addictive.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-05, 16:24

BF:

Quietone, Are you saying that all you had to do was avoid grains and that's it for you? Are you still low carb and working with SAD strategies? Are you avoiding shampoos and makeup that have gluten, or just working with your diet? I'm wondering how strict to get with this...I'm still having fatigue. I wonder if there's an inbetween ground, with not being gluten intolerant or allergic to wheat (which I'm not) but just not digesting it well...what's your take?
So glad you found something to work for you. Gail
(Does vodka do ok for you? It's usually from potatoes)
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-05, 16:36

Hi, Gail.

Yes, I'm still on the modified low carb plan. Modified at this point means I eat no more than 25 grams of carbs per meal.

I'm not real strict on the gluten stuff (as in everyday products). I just am doing it with diet. And actually, I think I probably could eat a little bit of it now if I just did it once a week or so, but i'm not willing to try it out. Not just because of the problems, but I'm afraid if I start I'll slowly get hooked again.

Even with adding carbs back in I still don't have the stomach problems I had with eating grains. I usually eat one small apple a day, and either a small baked potato or rice with a meal. I can eat potatoes just fine, but I ususally don't drink them. Haven't had vodka in 20 years or so...tequila has always been my drink of choice, but I just don't feel the urge to drink much anymore. It's like once I got rid of the grains when I initially started Atkins, a lot of other issues fell into place. It seems now looking back that alcohol was just another part of my carb/grain addiction.

I think intolerance builds up with time...whereas allergic is immediate reaction. I certainly was not bothered by anything when I was younger. Before I found out the problem for myself, I had been to two gastroenterologist becuase of the digestive issues. And they were baffled. They thought my symptoms were of a pancreatic issue, but when they tested everything seems fine. So I never did get answers from them either.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-05, 16:50

BF:

I've been putting aloe vera juice in my morning smoothies for healing. I had GERD and my esophogus is damaged. Now that I control the carbs, I don't have the reflux but know that cells changing in response to the irritation won't heal quickly.
I also am not as strict with the carbs because I feel better if I stay out of ketosis--maybe because of being hypothyroid. Most days I eat either a little rice, potato skins or quinoa, and I do eat fruit every day. The more veggies and salads I eat, the better I feel.
Well, maybe I need to give it a little time and I'll be feeling as good as you do now...I do have some good days.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Oct-09-05, 18:08
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

I've been using aloe vera juice twice a day. And taking enzymes with my meals. It's really healping and my stomach no longer burns when I eat wheat.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-05, 08:49

That's interesting about the aloe. But I'm allergic to it, so I wouldn't try it.

My stomach problems were strictly related to the way I was eating. all my intestinal and stomach distress completely disappeared, as well as the muscles achesand fogginess.

I do have arthritis now and it doesn't seem to help that at all, but I can deal with those little occasional pains. To me the fibro/muscle pain is much more dibilitating that the pain of the arthritis (at least so far!). And actually, I wonder if the reaction to the grains isn't what created some of the arthritis.
Because before I went back on low carb and got rid of the grains, it was progressing so rapidly that I was wondering if I would be able to move by the time I was 50. Now, it just seems to have stopped right where it was and getting no worse. No better...but no worse. I guess the damage was already done. But I don't ever recall right off the top of my head of hearing about a connection between grain sensitivities and arthritis. Is there one? Anbyody know?
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-05, 09:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

There's definitely a connection between celiac disease (gluten allergy) and lots of things, including arthritis. A lot of people report less muscle/joint pain after getting completely off gluten. You might want to check out Celiac disease and try to totally get gluten out of your diet and see if it helps. Getting off gluten doesn't just mean not eating wheat, its in things like vitamins, even deli meats! You have to read labels like mad.

I'm on the celiac diet myself. My intestines are performing amazingly well, I'm waiting to see if it helps my muscle/joint aches. I figure it would probably take a long time to see if that helps. I don't think I'm a true celiac, but I believe I am gluten intolerant judging from how much better I am doing intestinally.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-05, 16:03

BF:

I just got back from an appt with my ND and am now avoiding corn products, which are just as ubiquitous as wheat and as problematic. In fact, she suggested I go back to strict low carb (meat, veggies, heathy oils and fruits) and then start adding things back slowly. (I wonder what the natural flavors in the Da Vinci syrups consists of?) It looks like all of the symptoms I attribute to wheat can also be caused by corn. I felt so good the first year I was on Atkins, it makes sense to go back to that. Only I will be keeping my carbs higher-50 a day minimum.
Also, I'm now on Black Cohosh and natural progesterone and getting my thyroid levels checked again with a view toward upping the dose...Oh, I'm definitely feeling optimitstic.