Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 06:11

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Success or failure? What makes the difference?

What makes the difference between a lc success story and someone like me who stumbles around the board chatting with everyone and putting on weight as she goes???

I could go back to my journal and count, but I would guess I've tried to start this 50 times. Sometimes CAD, sometimes Atkins. I've had my greatest success on CAD, but that was before I had my second son, who is now 4 1/2. I am 2 pounds away from 250. I have never seen that number before in my life - even when I was pregnant with 9 lb. baby boys. Help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 06:22
Arizona 215 lb Loser

Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 327/315/190 Male 5 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Hi Cori,

Perhaps you should list what you typically eat and amount of exercise you do each day/week. I think we simply need to keep watching what we're doing and keep making adjustments to see that weight finally leave us. I did real good yesterday, but still didn't lose anything, and I think it was because I didn't do any exercise at all. I just sat around all day. So, knowing that, I am going to make myself walk today AND maybe cut back somewhere on my eating.

Ultimately, we have to figure out what works for us and what we need to do to lose weight. But no matter what you do, you have to be consistent at it and keep doing it!

Keep trying Cori!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 06:39

Plan: LC Lifestyles Plan
Stats: 333/240/190 Male 6'0"
BF:31.5%/26.95%/8%
Progress: 65%

Cori,

Asking a question like this is going to help you in this, and will probably help many others that are wondering the same thing.

Your question is one that we sometimes ask about all types of different things - we have all asked this type of question before, only on different subjects. It might be, "What makes the difference between someone that makes a lot of money and me that lives paycheck to paycheck" - or any question along these lines.

I have read a lot of different books on success and failure, and one of the most powerful books is "Think and Grow Rich" by Napolean Hill. In this book Mr. Hill studied highly successful people to see what they all had in common. People like Andrew Carnegie, The Rockefellers, etc. What he found was this:

These people had re-programmed their thought processes to make themselves think like rich people.

In other words, they didn't limit themselves with words like "try", "can't", etc. They realized early on that you attract what you think about - and if you spend all your time thinking about debt, or thinking about what you lack - then you are going to attract more debt and you are going to lack more. If you can re-program your way of thinking to expect abundance in your life, and believe it like it has already happened - then you will have abundance in your life. This is the only difference between these men and everyone else in that day.

So - how does this apply to your question? Many times we limit ourselves without even realizing that we are doing that. It may be some programming that was put in place by our parents about being heavy, it might be some programming that we picked up along the way about our self esteem, or one of many different things. These may not be things on the surface, but they work in the background, subconsciously, to keep us from doing what we know we need to.

The good news is you can change that. I have had to reprogram my way of thinking to start thinking like a skinny person. I find that if I focus on how much I have to lose, or how much I weigh, that I attract more weight. Here is how you can reprogram those thoughts - Start by sitting down and wriiting out the reasons that you both need to and want to lose weight. It doesn't matter if you have 2 reasons or 20 - write them down. Then, take them and turn them into positives in the present tense. Your subconscious mind doesn't work in the past, or the future - but in the now. Here is an example:

I want to lose weight so that I can play with my kids and not run out of energy

A present tense positive of that would be:

I am so happy that I have as much energy as my kids

Notice that it doesn't say that it is going to happen in the future, or that it has already happened - but that I currently have this. Another example might be:

I want to lose weight so that I look good

The present tense positive might be:

I am thrilled that my husband can't keep his eyes and hands off my new body

After you make a list of these types of statements, and turn them into positives - then make a cassette tape of yourself saying these things. Say each one multiple times, 3 or 4, with feeling. Don't just read them - believe them. Repeat the whole list multiple times, and the ones that are most important to you 15 or 20 times. Then take that tape and a set of headphones if you have to and listen to it just as you are falling asleep. This is when your subconscious mind is the most open to suggestion. Let the tape play through while you are asleep. Listen to it again in the morning when you get up, or in the car on the way to work. Keep this information running through your head and you will reprogram your way of thinking.

I think that you will be surprised at the results you get, and how easy it will be to start this and keep at it. Don't try it - do it.

I hope this helps

Last edited by kenkobiz : Tue, Feb-24-04 at 06:45.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 07:05

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Wow

I think Jim makes some excellent points and his suggestions are something I might try for other areas of my life.

I think that for me, when I felt the amazing freedom from cravings that CAD gave me, for the first time in my adult life I really believed that I can lose weight and keep it off. Before, no matter what diet I was trying, in the back of my mind I *knew* that I would cave in to the cravings, sometimes sooner, sometimes later. I didn't believe I could do it, because I couldn't really imagine being strong enough to fight the drive to binge on carbs, on a permanent basis. The difference is, with CAD that drive is gone. I don't have to fight anymore. It is truly like someone switched a lightswitch off inside my head. And now I just believe that I will get to where I want to be by sticking to CAD. I still have little struggles about balancing my reward meal and I still have stalls, but the basic feeling is there that I have found my way and nothing will make me stray.

I don't know if that is at all helpful, it is just my experience.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 07:11
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

I think it's a matter of persevering and learning your own unique body chemistry as you go. You have to listen to and learn from your body. No one diet works for everyone. And a diet as written works for very few. In fact the diet as written only works for those whose chemistry that diet suits to a tee. That lucky bunch has it easy. To them it's a miracle and so easy that they feel that if they can do it, anyone else should be able to by following the same plan. But it's not that easy for everyone!!! Very few of us actually. Thus the rest of us have to take the tenents of that diet and might, in fact, have to take bits and pieces of many diets to cobble together the plan that works for the individual dieter. That's HARD!!! And what's harder is listening to your body to find out what parts of which diets work for you and which do not. Discovering your sensitivities and triggers and eliminating or controlling them. Creating and tailoring your OWN diet that works for YOU. That is a huge and daunting undertaking for a lot of people. The people for which a diet as written doesn't work.

I've been fat all my life. I've known I was a carbohydrate addict just about all my life. Way before the term was coined, understood. or even recognized. So if I've known that, why aren't I thin now? Ahhh, now comes my unique body chemistry and the knowledge of that chemistry that I've learned over the years.

I used a program like CAD (before CAD) to lose the weight and maintain it for years. Then came pregnancy. Until the Hellers, I didn't know that pregnancy can trigger carbohydrate addiction and even make it stronger for those who already have it. Well I had to get stricter and started losing again. Then SAD hit. Well, I'd always had SAD but as I got older, SAD got stronger. Lo and behold SAD is another facet that causes carbohydrate addiction. That's not bad enough, but for me it also caused a winter gain of 30-50 pounds each and every year. The most I could do was try to diet that off each summer. That became a losing proposition as I literally starved myself and became an exercise freak during the summer trying to get the winter weight off. There was a time I had damaged my metabolism so badly I would gain weight on 800 calories a day!! Then came healing and mending and weight gain but maintenance within a 40 pound range for years, winter/summer weight. But the years moved on, SAD got stronger and the weight started creeping back up. Things got so bad that I actually relocated to alleviate SAD systems.

So here I am. Still fat. But not as fat as I was. Still learning. And what have I learned. I've learned that I'm such a "lucky" CAD addict. NOT!!!! I'm sensitive to AS, wheat flour, sweet tasting veggies, and NOW even cooked veggies and soups (they concentrate the sweetness of even CAD legal veggies, lol!!!). I've learned that my body does better on heavier proteins and animal fats than vegetable ones. I've even learned to put the scale away during winter and just stay on program. I accept that SAD weight will come and there's nothing I can do about it (believe me I've tried everything and the weight still comes!!). My goal is to wind up lighter every year and this past year I did not do that. Does that make me feel like a failure? Sometimes yes, mostly no. I've learned again.

So what have I learned? What weapons have I gathered in this battle to both understand my body and to lose the weight? I think the last bits of knowledge I need to succeed have come just this last year. And I'm almost 50!!! It's been and still will be a long battle. I've learned that I need drugs to handle my feelings of SAD in the winter and that drug use willl need to be extended/intermittent according to the light intensity of summer. I might have to remain on a low dose except for the months of June-August. I know that the SAD weight will still come but hopefully in the coming years, because of medication, the gain in winter will be less and the loss in summer will be more. I know that CAD/CALP works for me but I have learned to stay away from AS and cooked veggies except at RM. I know I need heavier carbier RMs in winter to be satisfied whereas in summer I'm satisfied with lighter ones. I think this summer I will see positive progress.

Now why did I tell you all this? I wanted you to see that not everyone has an easy time of it. You will probably get many positive messages that will tell you how easy it is if you just stay determined and keep your eye on your goal. That it's just a matter of choice and you make that choice each day. Just stuff your face with fat when you have cravings and the plan will work. Well, it's not that easy!!! We both know that!!! There are many other factors at work that we have to contend with that others don't. It's those factors we have to learn and combat if we wish to be successful. There is no easy fix for us!!!

My advice? Go back to CAD. Or go to any program that seems to suit you. But this time, GIVE IT TIME!!! Time to work. Time to correct imbalances. Time to LEARN!!! Time to learn YOUR body, YOUR chemistry, YOUR sensitivities, YOUR reactions. What foods make YOU feel GOOD!!! What foods don't. And tailor that program to YOUR NEEDS!!! Have patience with yourself. Take the time YOU need.

I wish you success!!!

I
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 08:48

Plan: Atkins/induction
Stats: 329/293.5/200 Female 5 feet 2.5inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

Zuleika says"And I'm almost 50!!! "

Like this is the end of the world. You could be almost 60 I had to say that sorry. I turned 57 on the first day of January and feel that my life is still getting better. Oh sure I have my struggles but they are just hills to climb. Some are steeper than others and some take a little more effort but I just have to find out what is on the other side. I have only been on this WOL since last May and Yet I have to come to view it as the way I live now. MY DD gets upset with me because I speak low carb so much and to anyone who I can. TO me it is like learning a new language if you want to be good at it you have to think in the language you learn. I think low carb. I guess you might tallk me zealous like yesterday I had stopped for gas and at the Subway there I ordered a turkey wrap the gentelman in front of me had also ordered one so I ask " How long you been on Atkins?" " I'm not. " he comes back "I just like the wraps. Are you on it?" " Since May." I reply. " how are you doing?" He inquires. "I have lost about 70 pounds" He gets this supprised look on his face and comments how well I have been doing. Now I won't lie the compliment feeds my ego which inturn reinforces my will. I think that despite the medical set backs I have to deal with what keeps me going is: A. I feel so much better B. I do not want to fail at this C. I have let others know what I am doing so I have to face them as well as myself D. I have goals I am working towards how ever long it takes me to get there. E. Being older I relize I don't have all the time left in the world to acomplish this. F. MY health depends on eatting this way. G. I am a stubborn old lady and I refuse to give up. I'm sure I get on peoples nerves with it and they don't want to hear it but." Out of the heart's abundance the mouth speaks forth." My heart is filled with the success this way of life has given me andI look to the future how ever long it may be to accomplish my goals in this as well as other things I hope to accomplish .

Last edited by memaw O5 : Tue, Feb-24-04 at 09:14.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 09:21

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

This is a very interesting topic! I truly believe that it has to be a mind set that you are in. I talked with my neighbour extensively about this very thing. She lost 160 pounds on WW over the last 18 months. But what she relayed to me over and over again was that she had gotten to the point of being so low that there was no place further to fall. She said she remembered sitting on her floor and crying one day and realizing that she couldn't live like that any longer. On that day, she made a decision to change her life and never waivered after that. She was committed to losing weight and joined WW. She started mall walking. At first she said she could only walk for about 15 minutes and now she's up to power walking for an hour and a half every day! It will be interesting to hear from people on both sides here, those who have successfully lost and those who are struggling. ( I'm a struggler BTW)
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 10:46
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

What has worked for me is viewing and approaching weight loss like any other medical condition. My husband had cancer four years ago. He went through some miserable treatments and there were days where the last thing he felt like doing was subjecting his body to more. However, he never said, "I can't do this -- I'm not going today," because he knew that he was battling for his life and he wanted to live. Once I realized that what I had was a medical condition (hyperinsulinemia), I took the same approach. I am low carbing because I want to live and I honestly think it is a matter of life and death for me (and many of us in the TDC). Anytime I think about eating starch or sugar, I tell myself that I have a medical condition with my blood sugar and eating off plan is simply unnacceptable. If I had some other medical condition, I would follow the best medical advice I could find. Hyperinsulinemia is no different and eating lowcarb is a hell of a lot easier and more pleasant than going through cancer treatments or having open heart surgery.

FYI, if you are having problems understanding why you cannot stick to lowcarb, I strongly recommend Dr. Phil's book. You don't need to follow his eating plan (and I wouldn't), but he has some good insights into psychological issues that prevent people from losing weight.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 10:58
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

If I had the answer to that, I'd be a zillionaire! Or at least a more self aware person.

I think the first ingredient of success is figuring out the physical limitations you are dealing with. For me, that was discovering low-carb. I think I could have all the determination in the world, but with my body fighting against me, I don't think I'd ever succeed in the long run. As evidenced by the fact that so far I hadn't ever succeeded in the long run.

Then, if that part is taken care of, you have found the physiological solution to the problem, then it's the whole determination, motivation arguement. How to flip that switch, turn on the light, whatever so that you are a person who is committed versus being a person who knows the answer but can't act on it.

I wish I knew how I flipped the switch this time. I worry about not knowing the answer because if I lose it, I don't know what to do to turn it back on. But for me, all the psychological manipulations don't work. I can't get there with affirmations. I can't get there with reframing my thoughts or beliefs. I can't get there by forcing it in any way. I just hasn't worked for me. It's like it is magic that I can't control. I know this is a very negative way of viewing it, not very self-empowering and maybe sets myself up for failure if I do lose "it", but at 39 years old, with 29 of those years focused on trying to get to a normal weight, that is my experience.

The only thing I can do when I not there, not able to stick with it for whatever reason, is to try to stay close. To keep trying. If it's not the right time, at least I'm in the right place so that when the time comes, I'm there.

I don't mean to be negative, I don't get it either, it really scares me sometimes.

Valerie
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 13:21

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

When you are reallly truly ready...you will just do it. Thats my strong, firm believe. I am not sure what it will take becuase its a different string of events for each person. As you know it is a lifestyle change....you have to believe it and be willing to make it permanently.... maybe you dont really WANT to lose the weight??? something is holding you back and I will be your friend while you figure it out! (((HUGS)))
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 14:24
Arizona 215 lb Loser

Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 327/315/190 Male 5 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by liz175
Once I realized that what I had was a medical condition (hyperinsulinemia), I took the same approach. I am low carbing because I want to live and I honestly think it is a matter of life and death for me (and many of us in the TDC). Anytime I think about eating starch or sugar, I tell myself that I have a medical condition with my blood sugar and eating off plan is simply unnacceptable.

I loved this answer Liz! I guess because it's kind of how I got so serious about it too. I figured I had to get an operation... or else!! When I looked into the operation, I knew it was crazy not to really try to change the way I eat instead, and every time I get a little tempted to cheat, I know that failure will end me up on that operating room table!! Yikes!! That sure helps you NOT cheat!!!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 07:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 260/250/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Cori, I hear your pain and discouragement. I think success breeds success. When I first started Atkins after watching people at work lose weight over the course of about a year, I didn't commit to do this forever. My goal was to do it for Lent (those 40 days prior to Easter). I usually would give up sweets in a vain attempt to try and lose weight. It wasn't easy but I took one day at a time and then when Easter came I had lost almost 20 pounds and decided to keep doing it because it wasn't that hard and the SUCCESS felt so good. Right now I am in the beginning of an 'upward' spiral. The sugar free chocolate has taken over my life and the scale is beginning to move up. I'm hoping to find the strength again this Lent to get back on track. Its scary to think I could lose all this progress. Why not try it for a day, a week, whatever you think you can handle and see what happens. good luck.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 09:50
living kaizen

Stats: 510/406/195 Male 6 feet baby...
BF:
Progress: 33%

I've gone back and looked at when I've been successful with weight loss and when I haven't and I think I've finally found the key.

For me, I'm successful when I elevate the importance of my eating plan to the importance of my marriage or my job. When I do the following things, I continually lose weight:

1) Hold myself accountable. I have people here and in my real life who know how important this is to me and encourage me.

2) Keep a journal of my food. This makes me accountable to me.

3) MOVE! Probably more than anythign else, when I find myself in an extended semi-vegetative state, I know I'm in trouble.

4) Be concious of my plan. This one is probably the most important thing of all. When I actively plan, and am proactive, not reactive I exhibit much better control. I have to make constant active choices about what and how I eat.

I have gotten so frustrated by my weight gains in the past, but I am 100% accountable for them. And yes, it's a medical condition, like Liz says. We can't put sugar and flour in our bodies and expect no consequences. I can't eat out of vending machines, I can't live off of drive-throughs, I can't eat in my car. Those are all bad triggers for me.

So that's it for me. Journaling and positive self-talk help me a lot as well, but putting in the hours to make this WOE successful is what matters. Kind of like my marriage, it's hard work. No matter how much I love my wife, having a good marriage is hard work. No matter how much I love my job, it's still hard work. If it's a priority every single day, then it will work for me.

-H-
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 10:34
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

I truly believe it is a mindset and being willing to commit 110% to it and not look back. I have tried every imaginable diet out there and have lost a lot of weight, but gained it all back because the mindset wasn't there to begin with. That makes all the difference...you have to ask yourself if you are really ready to commit to it 110%.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 06:06
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

Hi Cori,

I've been watching this thread for the past few days, wondering what I could add since I truly don't know what makes the difference between success and failure.

I think the biggest thing for me has to be the single-minded determination that I am not going to be fat any more. I didn't start in June 2003 with that determination but it has grown and built up over the past months until I am as much a WOE zealot as I am a reformed smoker.

Everyone has so many complex psychological things going on in their own lives that I don't think there is a magic key that we can all turn and somehow make it happen.

Maybe one suggestion is to look at something else in your life where you are successful and/or dedicated and try to extrapolate that committment into this issue (like marriage, religion, work, a hobby or volunteer work). If we could all put into ourselves what we put into our hobbies, we would all be smashing successes!

Good luck and I hope your struggling opens up into a bright sunny day for you.

Louise