Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-20, 11:34

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

I just watched a video on youtube that patients with low total cholesterol in China were more likely to die from the COVID-19 than people with higher cholesterol. More proof against trying to get a low cholesterol.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-20, 12:46

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I was just reading the transcript on

https://thefatemperor.com/ep68-dr-p...s-crucial-info/

which mentions that cholesterol drops when one's immune system is fighting off viruses etc., which I'd never heard before. No wonder cholesterol levels vary! Since the brain and immune system need cholesterol to work properly, lowering it can be deadly.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-20, 17:06

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
I was just reading the transcript on

https://thefatemperor.com/ep68-dr-p...s-crucial-info/

which mentions that cholesterol drops when one's immune system is fighting off viruses etc., which I'd never heard before. No wonder cholesterol levels vary! Since the brain and immune system need cholesterol to work properly, lowering it can be deadly.

Yes, and just think if you already have very low cholesterol when you get a devastating disease... you haven't got a chance. The whole low cholesterol, low fat movement was a lie, and profits for big pharma.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-20, 12:26

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

I have decided (with the input of my doctor) that I have and always have had familial hypercholesterolemia. No matter what I eat or do, my cholesterol looks high from traditional, and I think totally wrong assumptions. I have always had really high HDL (good!!) until my last test last year. My HDL was 56 then, but for years it has been 80, 85, 90 or so. My triglycerides are reasonable and generally low, but the LDL is always horrendous. Just the LDL along last summer was 290 or some such. HOWEVER....I am able to get the VAP cholesterol test and that analyzes your LDL particle type. Mine are type A fluffy, which are ideal since this type doesn't clog arteries. I've just gone back on Atkins to lose 30 lbs, so I expect my odd test from last June to go back to what it usually is.

There is an interesting article somewhere about President Eisenhower, who had many heart attacks. His doctors believed in the old cholesterol theory that high cholesterol meant heart attacks and strokes, and they fed him an unbelievably restrictive diet that brough his cholesterol numbers down to an extremely low level. It didn't protect him, rather, he had a heart attack that killed him. So much for the old cholesterol theory. I don't buy into it and I don't worry about my situation because of the particle type I have. My doctor had originally tried to goad me into taking statins, but I refused. After the VAP test, my doctor reversed her position and said that since there wasn't heart disease in my family, not to worry, keep eating well to keep the particle size fluffy. For me, I do best eating Atkins....and no sugar, really really low carbs. I'm fairly certain my test last June was caused by how I had been eating....high carbs and lots of sugar. Duh....
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-20, 13:21

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCM
I have decided (with the input of my doctor) that I have and always have had familial hypercholesterolemia. No matter what I eat or do, my cholesterol looks high from traditional, and I think totally wrong assumptions. I have always had really high HDL (good!!) until my last test last year. My HDL was 56 then, but for years it has been 80, 85, 90 or so. My triglycerides are reasonable and generally low, but the LDL is always horrendous. Just the LDL along last summer was 290 or some such. HOWEVER....I am able to get the VAP cholesterol test and that analyzes your LDL particle type. Mine are type A fluffy, which are ideal since this type doesn't clog arteries. I've just gone back on Atkins to lose 30 lbs, so I expect my odd test from last June to go back to what it usually is.

There is an interesting article somewhere about President Eisenhower, who had many heart attacks. His doctors believed in the old cholesterol theory that high cholesterol meant heart attacks and strokes, and they fed him an unbelievably restrictive diet that brough his cholesterol numbers down to an extremely low level. It didn't protect him, rather, he had a heart attack that killed him. So much for the old cholesterol theory. I don't buy into it and I don't worry about my situation because of the particle type I have. My doctor had originally tried to goad me into taking statins, but I refused. After the VAP test, my doctor reversed her position and said that since there wasn't heart disease in my family, not to worry, keep eating well to keep the particle size fluffy. For me, I do best eating Atkins....and no sugar, really really low carbs. I'm fairly certain my test last June was caused by how I had been eating....high carbs and lots of sugar. Duh....

Good post, and I relate directly to the comments about lipid tests. I have had higher LDL since going very low carb, but my LDL particle type was large/fluffy and small particles so few they were not measurable, my TGs very low (40s), HDL high, and my TG:HDL ratios under 1.00. I no longer sweat the blood cholesterol conundrum, as the "experts" have adopted a flawed belief system that I don't need to follow.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, May-01-20, 06:34

Plan: Atkins DANDR/ Candida
Stats: 300/195.2/172 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 82%

Thanks CMCM - great post. My numbers echo what you all have said. My LDL spiked with my last visit but I had been off plan for quite some time and had only been back on a couple months when I was tested. I had also been sidelined with knee issues and hadnt been doing much cardio and my HDL was down. I have noticed when I am regularly breaking a sweat my HDL rises pretty quickly. My Tirglycerides were around 60 and LDL high normal as was the total chol. I thought I would have to fight to stay off the statins but the doc said lets see what happens over the next six months. If it comes to that I will fight for the VAP testing. As I have gotten older, I have to watch calories as well as carbs, but I have found my magic combo... unprocessed low carb (under 40 gr with 90%+ from veggies) very limited dairy and under an average of 1600 calories and daily exercise. Totally agree with you, Rob on the flawed system, but I do think docs are slowly coming around. I used to have to battle every one of them and now I am finding them less certain of one way to do things and more apt to support you if what you are doing is working.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, May-03-20, 13:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzgirl
Thanks CMCM - great post. My numbers echo what you all have said. My LDL spiked with my last visit but I had been off plan for quite some time and had only been back on a couple months when I was tested. I had also been sidelined with knee issues and hadnt been doing much cardio and my HDL was down. I have noticed when I am regularly breaking a sweat my HDL rises pretty quickly. My Tirglycerides were around 60 and LDL high normal as was the total chol. I thought I would have to fight to stay off the statins but the doc said lets see what happens over the next six months. If it comes to that I will fight for the VAP testing. As I have gotten older, I have to watch calories as well as carbs, but I have found my magic combo... unprocessed low carb (under 40 gr with 90%+ from veggies) very limited dairy and under an average of 1600 calories and daily exercise. Totally agree with you, Rob on the flawed system, but I do think docs are slowly coming around. I used to have to battle every one of them and now I am finding them less certain of one way to do things and more apt to support you if what you are doing is working.

If no other way, you can pay for your own VAP test....I believe it's around $100 or so. It's worth doing at least once to get a reading on your particle type.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, May-03-20, 13:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflowers
I just watched a video on youtube that patients with low total cholesterol in China were more likely to die from the COVID-19 than people with higher cholesterol. More proof against trying to get a low cholesterol.

I heard that too. Also...I've heard lately that for older women (men too??), higher cholesterol is desirable because it's protective. I've read so much about how your own body produces cholesterol because your body and brain NEED cholesterol. If you eat a low cholesterol diet your body compensates by producing more as needed by the body. If you eat higher in cholesterol (as we tend to do on Atkins type diets), your body doesn't have to produce as much. The point seems to be that your body requires a certain amount of cholesterol to function property, and it gets it one way or the other. I just haven't seen any conclusive proof that eating foods with high cholesterol leads to high cholesterol. The basic cholesterol test is OLD as the hills, old science I think, and the assumptions about it are very out of date.