Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-10, 13:25

Plan: atkins
Stats: 252/210/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Supplement Question

i have been doing this lc thing for about 4 months now and have lost 34lbs as of this morning. i have been getting a little concerned tho because i dont think i am getting all my vitamins and nutrients. I input all my food intake on Fitday and use their nutrition graphs to see what i am getting from my food. daily i noticed that i am coming in under the 100% value on a number of areas. I am low in Vit C,D,E, Calcium, Copper, Iron, Magnes,Manga. Most of these i know but i dont know anything about Magnes or Manga. I recently bought a supplement to start taking but i didnt know how this would affect the diet if at all. also the supplement says it is 300% of your daily value of most of the vitamint/minerals. this may be a dumb question but what happens if i get to much?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-10, 15:04
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhghatesyo
I am low in Vit C,D,E, Calcium, Copper, Iron, Magnes,Manga.

Vitamin C is water soluble, It's half life once absorbed is roughly 3O minutes It follows that within a couple of hours most of the vitamin C from a standard supplement is down the loo. The only way you can benefit from supplemental vitamin c is if you take a small amount every hour through the day and night OR use a timed release or sustained release formulation. That way, by releasing the vitamin C over 2~8 hrs with one tablet every 8 hrs you can raise plasma vitamin c levels throughout 24hrs.

Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin. If you take a supplement today it will maximise your 25(OH)D level in 15 days and it's half life is measured in weeks rather than minutes. Naturally human skin generates 10,000~20,000iu given the chance of 20minutes full body prone midday sun exposure. Anyone who suggests a tenth of the amount your DNA naturally (or less) creates is totally adequate is out of touch with reality. In practice 6000iu/daily gets most people around 60ng/ml, the level human breast milk is vitamin D replete and the human body has a stored reserve of D3 to deal with inflammation. Getting 25(OH)D tested| shows you if you've achieved the 60ng/ml threshold. 1000iu/daily extra generally raises status 10ng/ml but celiacs, diabetics, obese people may require 2000iu to get the same benefit.

Magnesium is best sourced from well-absorbed forms such as magnesium glycinate (400 mg twice per day) or magnesium malate (1200 mg twice per day). Because they are well-absorbed, they are least likely to lead to diarrhea (as magnesium oxide commonly does). Only 4% of magnesium oxide is absorbed which is why, being hygroscopic so attracting water, it makes such a good laxative.
If you object to throwing good money down the loo use a better absorbed form of magnesium.
If you consume dairy I'm not sure why you think you are short of calcium. Most hard water has some calcium carbonate. If your 25(OH)D vitamin D level is above 40ng/ml 100nmol/l as it should be there shouldn't be any reason why you are short of calcium. Calcium Calculator
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-10, 07:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 252/210/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Thank you so much thats helpful. i think i may split the supplement and take it twice a day. i dont east much dairy, only a little cheese now and then. i have just started to look into these supplements so i appreciate any input i can get!