Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 04:25

Plan: MINE
Stats: 143/112.4/119 Female 162cms (63+inches)
BF:35/?/20
Progress: 127%
Question Are any maintainers going by body fat % or how you look now instead of the scale

Hi, Are any maintainers now going by body fat percentage, tape measurements or just on how you look or feel in clothes rather than the scale weight now?

I am finding that the longer I am in maintenance the less the scale interest me. Tape measurements especially waist and navel for me are more appropriate along with my general body fat percentages.

I am more into building muscle and tone now than losing lots of fat!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 06:09

Plan: ex-atkins
Stats: 175/105/115 Female 5 ft 0
BF:
Progress: 117%

Yeah, I don't get this idea of having a weight 'buffer zone' etc: My buffer zone is fitting in my new wadrobe well. If you are aware of your body, and able to be hoest with yourself, you know when you've put on a bit of weight. Even taking tape measurements or bf is a bit to involved for me. I think that is something that dieters do. Healthy people just realise their size, realise how there eating, and know there level of fitness... I don't want to be 'watching my weight' anymore.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 14:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/185/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:21%/11%/10%
Progress: 100%

Yeah, I decided yesterday that being about done with my weight loss journey, it's time now to focus on muscle building and toning. I'm not looking to get huge or anything just want to increase my strength a little more and tone things up a little. So starting next week (I'm going out of town Thurs-Sun) no more checking the scale and time to increase the training. I wouldn't mind staying at 185 but if I go up or down from there as long as I'm not adding any fat I could care less.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 17:25

Hi Mb99,

I can relate to what you are saying. I imagine that the BF% and tape measurements are simply just a process on my journey to getting where you are describing.

I have been getting quite bored with a lot of posts on this low carb forum and I think it is because of the constant focus on weight loss. I am more concerned with exercise and fitness now but even those sites talk so much about weight loss and diet.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 17:28

Good on yer hornbrau - that it is what I am going to do as well.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 22:02

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Yes I pretty much go by my clothes, but I still do weight myself, everyday, don't know why. lol
Maybe part of it is I still sometimes think this is all too good to be true...............

Kathy
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-04, 08:14

Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hi Kathy, I feel just like you. I'm much more interested in my size, at this point weight is nearly meaningless (for instance one of my friends on this forum is the same height as me, has the same measurements, wears the same dress size but weighs 10 pounds more than I do!). Yet, I still can't stop weighing myself every day. I'm taking measurements once a week and I'd like to throw the scale away, but I guess I got too used to the daily feedback.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 14:32

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I never did weigh myself much during my loss process. But I'm now very alert to how my pants fit. Isn't it funny how much info I have in my head? Which ones shrink (jeans) and by how much, which ones have the tighter waistbands, etc.

That's where I'm going to get my first warning signs. Though the past two weeks I've been sick and have to make myself eat, so I'm not worrying.

As the weather is getting better I plan to get out and walk more, and while I eat wraps sometimes, and beans occasionally, I haven't changed my eating habits that much. It's kind of funny...I remember scheming to fit in all the carbs I THOUGHT I wanted, and now I don't want them!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 09:18
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

I'm MUCH less focused on the scale now that I've surpassed my goal weight. I am going by how I look and how my clothes feel.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 18:26

Hey Kristy you have done so well with your weight loss!

I have got right back into regular cardio (walking), Weights (free weights) and lots of stretching (YOGA). I am already feeling like my body is tightening up tone wise but relaxing more tension wise. My energy levels are higher and I feel much better.

Doing low carb on a regular basis is such a breeze now I hardly need to think about it. I rarely get tempted by high carb food anymore and the very, very rare occasion that I have something it is small and then I am straight back on track.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-18-04, 10:03
Leeloo Wannabe

Plan: Maint./Low GI (good carb)
Stats: 143/135/135 Female 5'8"
BF:25.6%/21.9%/>20%
Progress: 100%

Definitely. Unlike when I first started LCing, I am not freaked out by scale fluctuations. Now I know that water retention, bloating, TOM all affect the number on the scale and it doesn't take much to tweak the numbers a bit. The more important grade system is BF% and the way you feel inside and in your own skin (and clothes).

Lily