Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 07:19

Plan: Fat Flush Plan (Zone)
Stats: 249/133/115
BF:
Progress: 87%

6 months smoke-free for me after 23 years of 2packs/day. most days I do not even notice, but when it comes to creative writing, the urge is almost unbearable. I keep a pack of cigarettes in my desk drawer and see it everyday. it helps me to get used to be around cigarettes and not smoke.

mila
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-02, 14:08

Plan: adkins
Stats: 131/131/120
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking

What an accomplishment for all!!! I am now going on my 6th week after smoking for 37 years. I am around smokers at work, so I have become use to being around the smoke. I opened my desk draw yesterday, and guess what I found lurking in the back of my drawer. yes a cig. boy did the temptations run wild. But, I thought of all I had been through the past 6 weeks, and did not want to start all over again.
Cindy
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 11:14

Plan: PPLP (Intervention) Dilettante
Stats: //
BF:
Talking Adding my stats...

I have been smoke-free (but not nicotine-free, thanks to the wonderful, lovely, delicious, fantastic, stupendous patch) for 32 days.

That means $112.00 not spent on cigarettes and 320 cigarettes not smoked.

Of course, with the cost of the patch, I have actually spent about 5 more so far than I would have buying smokes. But that will all change in a matter of weeks now. After I no longer use the patch, I will be saving $28.00/week, or $112.00/month or $1,344.00/year.

That's enough to take a cruise with. Oh my!

ALOHA!!!
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 11:55

Plan: adkins
Stats: 131/131/120
BF:

dizzyd hello

you are doing great, i am still smoke free, am off the Zyban but still use the gum We are going to make it.
miss cindy
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 12:30

BF:
Talking Hey Cindy

Good for you! I've been tempted to try the gum, but I know myself too well and know that I would just be addicted that instead.

And hey, look at your stats! You're almost done you lucky thing! I am so happy for you. When you look back at this year you will be so proud of your accomplishments. What a good feeling that is!

I hope you are proud, because you certainly should be!
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-02, 10:23
Registered Member

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 257/241/165
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default kicked my 33 year habit 10 months ago

I still want a smoke now and then, mostly from habit, though. The nicotine has long left me but 33 years is a lot of habit to divert. I gained a lot of weight, maybe 40 or 50 pounds but I'm on the way down now. I've been overweight most of my adult life and a smoker all the way through until last summer. (I'm 47 now). I wish I could tell you how many decades I wasted wishing that I could lose weight and get off the smokes. Well, I am off the smokes and I am losing weight. This has been quite a journey. I know now that I can do anything.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-02, 10:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default day 28!

Well u wont believe this....Because our cigs went up here tremendously [ at least 8.50 a pack] I figured out I have saved at least $225. Wow thats a lot of money in less than a month. LOL ok so I have soent it on other things already.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, May-02-02, 13:27
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 186/147/135 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default Still Soke Free

I am so happy with myself....I smoked almost my entire life (23 years). I quit smoking in January...DH quit at the same time. I gained almost 15lbs just afterwards. I didn't eat anymore than normal and figured this was the first step. My low-carb WOE was the 2nd. Congrats to all.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, May-03-02, 08:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default hi Jenner

Glad to hear U R doing well! I reached my goal weight several months B 4 I quit smoking [6 weeks ago] I am on the patch and it has been a big help. I think that low-carbing may be also helping my cig cravings and keeping my weight gain to a minimum. Altho my scale says Im up 6 pounds....I have been working out with weights so some could be muscle. All I know is that my clothes are fitting about the same as I did B 4 and thats a good thing!! U wont have a problem at all losing with a low-carb way of life. Keep in mind 2 things tho. 1st because U dont have much to lose your weight loss witll be slower. Also it might take a while longer for your metabolism to speed up. Good luck and keep up the great work!
  #25   ^
Old Fri, May-03-02, 12:26

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

I started smoking, mildly, in 1966 as a teenager. By the time I'd graduated from college (1970), I was up to a pack a day. By 1979s, in a high stress job with a higher stress moonlighting job (writing daily reviews: 500 words in 45 minutes) I was up to 3 packs a day.

Quit in 1984. Never looked back. I can't imagine how much money I've saved, because a pack of cigarettes here costs more than a carton did when I quit! So lots and lots and lots. Hmmm. The cost alone would have driven me to quit!

Congratulations to all of you who have decided to quit. It is worth it. Your mouth feels better, you can breathe easier, people don't shun you in restaurants -- not to mention the breath! And the health benefits, of course, are obvious.

Bravo to all!
  #26   ^
Old Sat, May-04-02, 10:04

BF:
Default Jeanner

I quit in February and gained 15 pounds too, also not by eating too much, just by not smoking. It hardly seems fair, and I was pretty upset about it but I guess one thing first, then the other. I plan on sticking with Atkins because I know that it will work eventually.

Congratulations on quitting!
  #27   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 17:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/141/130
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default newly smoke free

It's been 8 days. That's $9.75 I've saved so far. Plus my lungs, which are kind of important to me.

henbane
  #28   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 17:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/141/130
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default what?

You mean you can gain weight from quitting smoking even if you DON'T replace the cigarettes with food? Woah, this is really bad news. I was hoping Atkins would prevent the weight gain. How come one still gains? Anyone know?

henbane
  #29   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 18:05

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 168/168/155 Female 68"
BF:

After smoking for 19 years and two packs a day (near the end) I quit on Feb 5, 1990. What a miracle that day was! I have not found it necessary to pick up a cigarette since. God bless all of you who have found the courage to quit. I think it's the hardest addiction to give up and I spent a lot of time on my knees asking for willingness and for the obsession to be removed. Today I ask for another day of healthy living and I am grateful for each one that I am given.
Take care, Maureen
  #30   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 18:35

BF:
Unhappy Sad but true...

Yup, you can gain weight even if you don't replace the cigarettes with food. I believe that not smoking sends your metabolism for a loop and your body needs to some time to recover. I was talking to someone whose husband had quit smoking and he was one of those people who could eat anything and not gain any weight, and when he quit he gained weight, and it took him a year to be able to lose it again.

Not the best news I ever heard, but I have decided that not smoking better than being a little overweight. We have to honour our bodies needs and wants and give it the time that it neesd to heal. A lot easier said than done, I know...

Hang in there, it has to get better!