Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-19, 16:38

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%
Default Why does eating salt nearly immediately relieve leg cramps?

I get serious leg cramps. I've found that eating salt relieves them almost immediately. Why? It's not like the salt is absorbed that quickly by the body. Or is it?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-19, 21:12

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Salt gets absorbed by the intestines and if you are having just salt with a water chaser it will go straight through the stomach and be absorbed faster than if you add it to food.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-19, 21:49

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Thanks. No water chaser. Just salt. :-)
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-19, 22:41

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Pickle juice will work too!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-19, 23:28
Registered Member

Plan: Keto
Stats: 250/215/180 Male 68
BF:
Progress: 50%

Pickle juice. I rent furnished houses by the week to refinery contractors. Whenever they move out (2-10 weeks) there are always bottles of pickles sitting around all over the house and fridge, mostly empty. Sometimes it's pickles jalapenos.

These guys drink the juice religiously. Welders, pipefitters, boilermakers...scary looking guys with neck tats.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-19, 23:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/143/125 Female 63
BF:33.2/28.7%/24%
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Salt gets absorbed by the intestines and if you are having just salt with a water chaser it will go straight through the stomach and be absorbed faster than if you add it to food.

How much salt? Then just drink a glass of water??
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-19, 23:34
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Maybe the sodium-potassium pump, more sodium facilitates more potassium getting into the cell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6_NCdV7YO8
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-19, 11:25

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

1/8th to 1/4th of a tsp of table salt (or 50:50 sodium/potassium salt is my preference) in the palm of my hand works for me, which I follow with 4-8 oz of water. You can take more later if you need it. It also works with plantar fasciitis (cramps in foot arches), which I sometimes get in the middle of the night, typically after a day where I hiked a lot or let myself get dehydrated. The body seems to be screaming for both salt and water, and magnesium, which I take in pill form before bed.

Last edited by deirdra : Sat, Jan-26-19 at 11:32.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-19, 11:46

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Prevention is my motto, now that I know salt is the cause.

I do keep a bottle of lite salt near my bed at night as the early morning seems to be when the legs cramps strike. ANd oddly, the cramps have actually become worse over the years. That is WHEN the cramps strike, it isnt just in a foot or a calf like it used to be, it is along the inner thigh too. ANd instead of just the left leg, it is the left AND the right, though the right is less so than the left.

I am no longer afraid to EAT MY SALT. All meals are well salted now!!

1/4 tsp of lite salt at a time; potassium causes effects to the heart rhythm and eyes sight if too much is consumed at once, like 1/2-3/4 tsp of lite salt.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-19, 13:54
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I've always wondered this, too. It's almost always relieved within minutes of me taking the salt water. My concoction is salt + NoSalt in a shot glass of hot tap water, then a swig of pickle juice and/or apple cider vinegar... then a chaser of cold water, 'cause all that other stuff is gross. The pickle juice and vinegar may be folk remedies, but when your toes are curling themselves into shapes they shouldn't be able to at 2:00 am and you just want to get back to sleep, you'll try anything.

I think Nawchem is correct; especially when you're talking about middle-of-the-night cramps and your stomach is already empty. Anything you ingest will be absorbed pretty quickly. Imagine (or remember) consuming alcohol on an empty stomach. It might only take minutes to hit you.

I've thought of keeping some salt at the bedside, but I think getting up and walking off those cramps helps, too. Maybe because you're stimulating your circulation? My other rare last-ditch effort when the aforementioned doesn't work is to stand in the bath tub and run piping-hot water on my feet.

As for prevention, I try to be liberal with the salt and NoSalt, even though I'm not a big fan of salty foods. I also take calcium/magnesium with dinner. I was just taking magnesium, but I had a long spell during which I was still having night cramps, and it wasn't until I ran out of the Mg and started taking the Ca/Mg which I had bought by mistake that they went away. Calcium is an important electrolyte, too.

Just to add to Gypsybird's question, I also wonder why whichever muscles cramp. Why not all of them? Why only one or two, and why not the same ones all the time? I swear, I've never had the exact same combination of weird foot muscle cramps.

Last edited by Kristine : Sat, Jan-26-19 at 14:00.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-19, 09:53

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

If I eat too many carbs, I immediately get hand cramps\
a couple of 99 mg Potassium stops it quickly.
Sometimes add Magnesium
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-19, 12:03

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

lol, ya, that happens to me too.
Major swings based on huge shifts in carb consumption. Either decrease or INCREASE.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-20, 16:53

Plan: Custom 22/2 Clean Fast
Stats: 290/258/210 Male 72.5
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in KS
Pickle juice. I rent furnished houses by the week to refinery contractors. Whenever they move out (2-10 weeks) there are always bottles of pickles sitting around all over the house and fridge, mostly empty. Sometimes it's pickles jalapenos.

These guys drink the juice religiously. Welders, pipefitters, boilermakers...scary looking guys with neck tats.

I want to know more, cause I drink pickle juice twice a week now. even when I fast, I have like 6oz of pickle juice.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-20, 10:09

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I eat a lot of pickles and a lot of meat; and there's plenty for all my electrolytes, seemingly
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-20, 11:38

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Pickles are one of my favorite foods, and the juice never goes to waste. I, too, eat a combination of sodium chloride and potassium chloride (Nu-Salt) followed by a large glass of water before workouts, and it helps. In the warmer weather, I make an electrolyte drink by adding Calm magnesium (original flavor), sodium chloride, potassium chloride to water, mix and drink. Really a great way to maintain hydration, prevent muscle cramps, and avoid the marketed crap drinks with lots of sugars like Gatorade.