Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-02-07, 06:09
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 142/134/125 Female 5' 4"
BF:Staying Positive
Progress: 47%
Default Magnesium and Anxiety

Has anyone heard or experienced the benefits of Magnesium on anxiety? Recently I have been stricken with intense painful anxiety attacks that apparently come out of know where and for no apparent reason.

I read that can help with anxiety. Has anyone heard this? Experienced its benefits? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-02-07, 06:46

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Can't hurt (within reason)

First, how's the rest of your diet and supplement program? Do you think you're eating well and covering most of the vitamin and mineral needs you know about? If you know you're probably off base somewhere, that's the first place to look. However, if you're pretty solid, then yes, maybe magnesium can make a difference.

Try taking a bath with epsom salts--2 cups per bathfull. See how you feel the next day (I'm a night-time bather.) I'm currently testing the longevity of the effect on BP; it's gone within a week, FWIW. You can absorb magnesium fairly readily through your skin.

There are also supplements; I just started the one from Vitacost. Opinions differ about the bio-availability of the different forms and this one supplement had several.

But again--if this is your only supplement, I would suggest making sure you're covering a lot of the other bases at the same time.

Good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-02-07, 13:44

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

Good answers Cs..

Magensium does have a calming effect..I like to take it before bed.

I still feel Theanine from Green Tea is excellent for anxiety.

Jarrow has a great one.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-02-07, 19:19
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%

Magnesium is good

Fish oil is good

I would also take a high quality "mega" multi-vitamin to make sure there are not any deficiencies.

http://www.lef.org/protocols/emotio.../anxiety_01.htm
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-12-07, 10:52

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

Hi -

having struggled with anxiety most of my life and trying just about everything out there, these are the things that help the most:

Yes, magnesium - I like magnesium malate and glycinate. I take a lot, and balance it with calcium in around 1:1 ratio or even higher for magnesium.

Low dose B complex (high dose increases anxiety oddly enough for me anyway). I'm talking 10-20mg of each B plus inositol taken a few times a day. B-50 pills increase anxiety for me. Magnesium will ensure you can use the B vitamins properly.

Extra vitamin B-1 (thiamine). If you drink tea and coffee and/or alcohol, you can drastically reduce your levels of B-1. Rich low carb sources are pork, hazelnuts and macadamia nuts . If you look up thiamine on google you will find a lot of addiction clinics use Mg + B1 for anxiety - not that you have addiction problems but still for anxiety I have really found B1 helps.

Extra Zinc. Try to not go over 30mg a day, and look for chelated zinc, as this prevents negative interactions with other minerals (too much ionic zinc can reduce copper, iron and magnesium).

Vitamin C. I don't like mega doses of this as I am worried about it lowering copper (also zinc) levels. Unless you eat a lot of nuts, drink a lot of coffee or eat a lot of cow liver, the typical low carb diet is quite low in copper anyway. However, for me lower doses of C work quite well (no more than 500mg at a time, and usually more like 200mg - but again that is just me - some people find 2g at a time very calming).

That's it - those are the basics. And yes, I would say magnesium is THE most important one out of those.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-12-07, 11:40

Plan: None
Stats: -/-/- Male 190 cm
BF:
Progress:

Yes, magnesium is good for anxiety because it's an NMDA antagonist but you don't need to balance with calcium because calcium acts as an NMDA agonist which can make you more anxious.

That's why some people are just anxious because they eat too much calcium in their diet.

Furthermore it has been shown that a high magnesium intake reduces calcium excretion. So, there's no need to add more calcium.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-12-07, 11:42
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low
Progress: 100%

Vitamin C is good for anxiety and stress

Vitamin C: Stress Buster

It's already everybody's favorite nutritional supplement, linked, however controversially, to preventing the common cold and fighting cancer. But vitamin C recently added a new notch on its belt. The vitamin helps reduce both the physical and psychological effects of stress on people.

People who have high levels of vitamin C do not show the expected mental and physical signs of stress when subjected to acute psychological challenges. What's more, they bounce back from stressful situations faster than people with low levels of vitamin C in their blood.

In one study German researchers subjected 120 people to a sure-fire stressor—a public speaking task combined with math problems. Half of those studied were given 1,000 mg of vitamin C. Such signs of stress as elevated levels of the stress hormone cortisol and high blood pressure were significantly greater in those who did not get the vitamin supplement. Those who got vitamin C reported that they felt less stressed when they got the vitamin.

The researchers believe that vitamin C should be considered an essential part of stress management.

Earlier studies showed that vitamin C abolished secretion of cortisol in animals that had been subjected to repeated stress. Cortisol is a hormone released by the adrenal glands in response to stress. Once it gets into the bloodstream, it is responsible for relaying the news of stress to all parts of the body and mind.

Cortisol is the hormone, for example, that triggers the "fight or flight" response to stress. That allows us to spring into action when we sense danger. But like many emergency-alert systems, the stress response comes at a considerable cost. Among other effects, frequent exposure to high levels of stress hormones exhausts the body's physical resources, impairs learning and memory, and makes people susceptible to depression.

In the animal studies, vitamin C fed to rats undergoing stress not only prevented the expected increase in cortisol levels, it prevented the animals from exhibiting the known signs of physical and emotional stress, including loss of body weight. Animals that did not receive vitamin C had three times the level of stress hormones.

The present RDA for vitamin C for adults is 60 milligrams—a far cry from the 1,000 mg found helpful in the stress study. But there's a growing belief that the RDA for vitamin C is vastly outdated. The current RDA was set decades ago and is based on the amount of the vitamin needed to ward off scurvy.

Current thinking looks at vitamin C from the opposite direction: The amount needed to promote health under varying environmental conditions. That appears to be a lot greater than the amount needed to prevent deficiencies.

There's also evidence suggesting that prehistoric humans consumed large amounts of vitamin C in a tropical diet rich in fresh fruits. If so, the physiological constitution we have inherited may require far larger daily doses of vitamin C than the current RDA, perhaps as high as 1,000 mg.

Vitamin C is present in fresh, uncooked fruits and vegetables, especially citrus fruits and red and green peppers. One eight-ounce glass of fresh orange juice provides 97 milligrams of the vitamin.

It's also found in papayas, cantaloupes, strawberries, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, tomatoes, asparagus and parsley. There's no vitamin C in animal food, and a small amount in raw fish.

An unstable substance, vitamin C is destroyed by cooking and exposure to light.

The most commonly consumed nutrient supplement, vitamin C comes in many formulations, but the best may be a time-released preparation that works over the course of a day, as the vitamin works rapidly and is short-acting. Alternatively, vitamin C supplements can be taken at intervals throughout the day.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-12-07, 16:25

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 74/76/67 Female 5ft 6.5 inches
BF:29/31/25
Progress: -29%

Kaspof that all depends. Personally I HAVE taken too much magnesium and not enough calcium which resulted in irregular heartbeat. I eat cheese so I do get calcium. I find the ratio to feel best at varies from 2:1 Mg:Ca up to 1:1. I was taking around 500mg Mg only.

However recently I have been fine with just Mg, as long as I take vitamin B1 strangely enough.

Sorry I don't mean to hijack this thread but it should be mentioned that some people DO need a little extra calcium if they are going to take Mg in any meaningful quantities.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-12-07, 16:33

Plan: No bad carbs
Stats: 228/159/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 74%

I got a lot of good advice from these experts on the same question, hope it helps someone else too.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=329908