Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-24-10, 14:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167/159.6/140 Female 66
BF:
Progress:
Default Should I stop dieting? (long)

Recently had my throid functions measured - all normal except reverse T3 is out of normal range (390 with normal 90-350pg.ml). As I understand it, that means that I am producing the hormones that I need but the reverse T3 is stopping them from working. Also tested as in Zone 7 for Cortisol-DHEA correlation spectrum.
I have read that dieting can lead to an elevated reverse T3. Would it be reasonable for me to up calories and work up the rung (Atkins) fast so that I can change this response and then start dieting slowly again?
Initially in Induction I was having a hard time getting my calories up so I moved to phase 2 and have been at 1300 - 1800 calories/day. I stopped recording about 10 days ago because I found that obsessing on the recording and not getting any reward on the scale was messing with my motivation.

I have eliminated soft drinks through this program and since I am now going totally sweetener free for Lent, and I have to gag down my green tea without sweetener, I am esentially eliminating caffeine also,
When I started I was trying to exercise 6 times/week between body pump/aerobics and yoga.
Now I am exercising 3-4 times/week.My Sunday workout is body pump and power yoga - that kicks me.
My net carbs were about 95% correct regardless of the calorie count. (Occasionally 1-2 net carbs over or under)
Typically eat a veggie omlette for breakfast (spinach and onion, mixed pepper) - or a MIM with cream cheese before lent started.
I am doing the fruits and nuts rung and am adding yogurt (greek. or full fat organic) with berries added for natural sweetness.
Snack is usually nuts or raw veggies with ranch or blue cheese dressing
Lunch is usually a salad with Romaine and Red leaf lettuce, whatever veggies I have in the fridge, some sort of meat (steak, chicken with skin, etc) maybe some cheese, if I have some

Afternoon snack of cheese or avocado or fruit or nuts or olives(depending on what I had earlier in the day
Dinner is usually meat and veggies

Since I have been on the diet(early Jan start) I have had 5 glasses of wine (3 on Sat night) I had been drinking about 5 glasses/week.
So to me, I am eating a lot better - eliminated processed foods as much as possible (i.e. cheese and yogurt might be considered "processed")
I am perimenopausal, my hormones are whacked, my cortisol measured a 6 in the AM and hovered at 3 the rest of the day,.
As of last week I am on a liquid vitamin D supplement, and something called Adapt by InterPlexus (Vit B6 25mg or 1,250%; biotin 1,000 mcg or 330%;Pantothenic Acid 250 mg or 2,500%; Zinc 5 mg or 33%; copper 500mcg or 25% and a proprietary blend of Rosemary, Ashwagandha, hesperidin methyl chalcone)
I cheated this week and had 2 grapefruits and a star fruit and my weight is esentially the same - despite the 3 glasses of wine.
Supposed to start bioidentical hormones when they come in the mail.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-07-10, 21:32

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Freckle, avoid raw vegetables especially cruciferous such as cabbage and brussel sprouts. Grapefruit tends to also have a negative affect on meds and supplements. How much vitamin D are you taking?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-10, 11:43
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think pumping out RT3 is the bodies way of dealing with fat loss. Our body was programmed over the millenium to try to slow down fat loss so we don't starve to death too quickly.

You're kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't. If you don't diet you won't lose fat and you won't produce lots of RT3. If you do diet, you lose fat and your body will try to compensate.

The only way I think one can deal with it is to take T3.

At least, I haven't heard any other possibilities.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-10, 06:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167/159.6/140 Female 66
BF:
Progress:

Thanks, y'all for replying.
Why should I avoid raw veggies. I am eating a ton following Atkins.
I am taking about 6,000 IU/day - liquid form. This is until the vitamin D levels are up to normal. I assume I will decreas that soon.

I had decided to move up the rungs to see if I can kick start my metabolism. As long as I am not gaining I am moving on up.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-10, 10:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

There are goitrogens in some raw veggies, cruciferous vegetables for the most part. Just cook 'em. That'll kill some/most of the goitrogens.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-10, 12:49

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I think pumping out RT3 is the bodies way of dealing with fat loss...

Yes your body converts more T4 to RT3 instead of T3 when it wants to slow down in response to a caloric deficit.

I do myself take T3 (Cytomel) to counteract that effect.

Patrick
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-10, 13:33

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor
Yes your body converts more T4 to RT3 instead of T3 when it wants to slow down in response to a caloric deficit.

I do myself take T3 (Cytomel) to counteract that effect.

Patrick

How long? How is it working for you??
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-09-10, 13:52

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Since October 2009 (on and off). It's working beautifully, I can now lose weight without freezing feet and hands.

Patrick