Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-22, 18:46
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 200/186/135 Female 61in
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Cleaner teeth??

I know this seems weird, but maybe it's not. I swear my teeth feel cleaner since I restarted. I have been very careful this time around because I have health issues that I am working on. I have noticed that my teeth feel cleaner even after I eat. I also don't wake up with that horrible dragon breath (well at least not as bad) and "cotton" mouth. Is that a low-carb thing or is it probably something else?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-22, 18:52

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Yup. My teeth are usually sqeeky clean. If not, then it's a tell tail that a food had food for the bacteria. Cheese is such.

If you are interested....

https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=480733
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-22, 01:23
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Same. I'm a dentist chicken and I procrastinated on going for a checkup for well over a decade. I finally went about 6 or 7 years after being LC, and he said my teeth were in great shape. I had to get a filling, but that cavity had been there for over 10 years - I knew about it, but it never bothered me.

I had an epiphany and decided to get braces. I have a congenitally-missing tooth, declined the implant or braces as a teen, and by age 27, my teeth shifted a lot and were getting really crooked. My orthodontist and the staff always complimented me on how clean my teeth were. They probably think I worked my butt off to clean them every day, but... not really. 😏
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-22, 08:33

BF:

I brush with baking soda.

Kristine, what do you brush with, if you brush...
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-22, 15:12

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I go to the dentist every year and get teeth cleanings twice a year, which my insurance pays for. The hygenist always marvels at how little tartar I accumulate because many patients need more than two cleanings per year (not covered by insurance). A colleague who eats low calorie carbs all day has to go every 2 months and would rather pay out of pocket than give up sugary & starchy carbs. I remember furry teeth from my pretzels, Snackwells, and 6 minimeals per day days. No thanks!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-28-22, 17:20
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 200/186/135 Female 61in
BF:
Progress: 22%

That was an interesting thread!

I always told my husband that there was more to cavity prevention than brushing and flossing. We do that everyday and yet we still went through a period when we had to get several cavities filled.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Oct-29-22, 02:15
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
I brush with baking soda.

Kristine, what do you brush with, if you brush...

Whatever freebie sample toothpaste my DH brings home from the dentist. He actually goes, he's not bothered by it. Needs it more than I do, though, as a high-carb guy.

Actually, I haven't bought toothpaste in years. For the last year or two, we had Colgate Total or something. There's a dental hygenist program at the school where I work and an actual clinic, right across the hall from us. The instructors gave us a case of nearly-expired full-sized tubes of whichever high-end $4 toothpaste it was. I said, "are you trying to tell us something? " LOL.

(The irony isn't lost on me that the dental clinic is directly across from the Tim Hortons.)

I also use a minty antiseptic mouthwash, whatever generic knockoff brand of Listerine is on sale. I hate toothpaste grit and like the minty burn. If I skip brushing, I still like to use that.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Oct-29-22, 08:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlieW
That was an interesting thread!

I always told my husband that there was more to cavity prevention than brushing and flossing. We do that everyday and yet we still went through a period when we had to get several cavities filled.

Years ago I was introduced to a simple study of native people's on Alaskan islands who had their teeth examined island by island for cavities. Back in 1920's. The people who ate subi dized diets had far more cavities than those eating only a traditional diet.

Having a truly good hygienist matters. Son had an active cavity covered by a sealant.......grrrrrr. She didn't clean tooth correctly . Hard to trust hygienists now.