Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 15:36

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 140/122/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hi Legwarmers!

Thanks for the tips. I will definately try those ab exercises... I looked em up (http://www.steelfitness.com/BETA/tr...inglegraise.htm) and they look quite difficult. Would the captain's chair (http://www.acefitness.org/images/captainschair.jpg) provide similar results?
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 15:41

Plan: NHE
Stats: 135/133/140 Female 64"
BF:15%
Progress: -40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyMuffin
Hi Legwarmers!

Thanks for the tips. I will definately try those ab exercises... I looked em up (http://www.steelfitness.com/BETA/tr...inglegraise.htm) and they look quite difficult. Would the captain's chair (http://www.acefitness.org/images/captainschair.jpg) provide similar results?

try the hanging leg raises but if you find you can't do them yet, use the chair til you can.
  #123   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 15:43
Registered Member

Plan: New Varient NHE
Stats: 176/132/120 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 79%

I can't hang for long enough to do the hanging leg raises so I do the chair ones. I did them for the first time in ages yesterday and today my abs really hurt so I think they work just fine.
  #124   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 15:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormouse
I can't hang for long enough to do the hanging leg raises so I do the chair ones. I did them for the first time in ages yesterday and today my abs really hurt so I think they work just fine.

i wish we had the arm straps at my gym... i'm always alternating my grip for each set when i do them.

ps - have i ever told you how great your arms are?
  #125   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 15:48
Registered Member

BF:

Did I ever tell you how much I love you?

BTW your legs look really cute in that little skirt in your photo.
  #126   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 15:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dormouse
Did I ever tell you how much I love you?

BTW your legs look really cute in that little skirt in your photo.

no... wanna make out? lol

thank you! i took that on a lark before i went out last friday.
  #127   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 15:57

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

My, is it getting warm in here or is it me? You NHE folks have really been heating up the pic boards, too. I want me summa dat! The biceps, I mean... really...

Cheers,

Friday
  #128   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 15:59
Registered Member

BF:

<smooch>

It looks really sweet. I'm thinking I might get a skirt this summer. My legs are nearly ready for it.
  #129   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 15:59
Registered Member

BF:

<smooches> for Friday too.
  #130   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 16:01

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

*Friday swoons!*
  #131   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 17:07
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtyMuffin
OMG. Built, you are truly an inspirational GODDESS!! I had no idea that my cardio is why I can't lose that little bit of belly fat, etc. I thought my 30-40 mins of cardio 4x a week was the key to losing those last few lingering pounds before any sort of toned muscle can be seen.

My boyfriend has been trying to get me to lift heavier weights, and I haven't been keeping up with it because my arms get very big (well, to me anyways) after and it freaks me out. (No Arnie arms for me!!) After seeing your incredible physique though, I'm starting to think that that is perhaps not the right way for me to be thinking. My goal is to be thin with toned, lean sexy muscles. First steps are to switch cardio to after I lift weights. I'm now an addict to the darn activity... can't stop it now. Will I still be able to get nice muscles?

I'm just starting to get back into the low carb thing again, I'm hypoglycemic so I am trying to figure out which program is the best for me...

I have a couple questions for you, if you have the time to answer...

I bought Lean Whey, which has only 4.5g of carb per serving and will be consumed directly after working out. Since I had no idea what I was doing in the Newfound Health store, I let the lady tell me which was best... Did I make a wise decision on it? I can supposedly make pancakes and cookies with it too.

Also, what are some good exercises to try to get killer abs? I can't seem to kick the flub off. It starts about half an inch deep at the top, and progresses to 2 inches on the bottom...

And finally... where can I find some trustworthy info on good workout plans? Different ones to try, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help... please accept my apologies for my chatter above... I am a newbie and all

Why THANK you!

Now, don't KILL yourself on the abs - you CANNOT spot reduce. Make 'em strong, and as the fat drops, you will see them.
I buy whatever lowcarb whey is on sale, so I'm sure yours will be fine.
Workout plans: Dunno. I just troll around and ask people, and read bodybuilding websites and ask friends. Here's a good site for exercises with movies: http://www.exrx.net/Exercise.html (click "Exercise & Muscle Directory" on the left side to look for the little exercise movies)

And don't be afraid to lift as heavy as you can, as you build up to it. You will THINK you are getting HUGE at first, but then, it stops. You just continue to get leaner.

#132   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 22:20

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 225/200/130 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Wink Built Is A Goddess!!!!

Yep, you definitely are the bb goddess here Built... All hail to Goddess Built. We're going to build a huge training center with your name on it in big shiny letters I get a smooch now ?

~ Cori ~
  #133   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 22:22

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 225/200/130 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default My poor little abs

I'm not necessarily trying to spot reduce but tone and define my abs. Weak unworked ab muscles are going to push forward instead of laying flat like they should when they're healthy and strong. That's my problem. I call it the SAS - smooshy ab syndrome. I've had 3 pregnancies in 4 years and noooo exercise what so ever. Yeah, my poor little abs!!! Now they're gunna get beat up some more, but this time it's for a good cause What the heck are chair leg lifts? Is that where you're sittin' on a chair with a two year old on your ankles giving them rides up and down? If so I've got that one nailed! Any other ab work outs that incorporate a 2 yr old? I've got a 40lb 4 yr old. Sometimes I pick her up just to realize how much weight I've lost in the past 4 months. They love sitting on the couch while I do sit ups... I poke their toes each time I come up. I'm not sure who giggles more Kids are the best workout I think!!! I don't need to go to the gym, I've got a 2 yr old. Speaking of which, I'm off to bed...those little guys will be up early!

~ Cori ~
  #134   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 22:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianin
I'm not necessarily trying to spot reduce but tone and define my abs. Weak unworked ab muscles are going to push forward instead of laying flat like they should when they're healthy and strong.

definition occurs when you drop the fat off to reveal the muscle underneath... hence diet is the key
  #135   ^
Old Wed, May-12-04, 22:37
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

at Cori.

bbgoddess! Y'all are gonna give me a big head!

I like it

I hear you on the abs. I don't mean you shouldn't work them - you should, and regularly. But you don't need to do billions of crunches. Do ab work that you can really feel for a few minutes every workout. That's what I do - and I do 'em first, while I still have the juice to really concentrate on them.

As the fat loss continues, they will be ready to look good when you can see 'em.