Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 14:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/162.5/140 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:no clue
Progress: 63%

I made it also for Thanksgiving, I looved the texture, perfect. It was a little tart but otherwise tasted great.

Piano
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 18:59

Stats: 231/172/175 Male 70 inches
BF:30%/19%/17%
Progress: 105%

Just finished a nice big piece of this! Great stuff. I might try a regular butter crust next time, but this was really good. My diabetic father really liked it!

brobin
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-03, 06:47

Stats: 150/146/130 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Help! Cheesecake Newbie

I've never made a cheesecake before, but I opened my big, fat, mouth told my family I was bringing this to our Christmas dinner tonight! I even bought my first springform pan yesterday so I could make it, but the jitters are setting in. Can someone help me?

I couldn't find "roasted" almonds or hazelnuts. How do I roast them and is this important? Could I use unroasted nuts instead?

Should I bring the cream cheese to room temperature first so that it mixes easier?

When do I remove the springform pan? Before or after the chilling process?
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Dec-25-03, 23:06

Probably too late.. but here are some answers...

1. Just put the nuts on a sheet pan and place in an oven at 350 until they are fragrant. It took me about 8 minutes the other day, but times vary. Watch closely so they don't burn. When done, let cool, then process into flour. Oh, and you can skip this step and just buy the nuts ground if you like. Small difference really.

2. Yes, bring all ingredients to room temperature, including eggs before making. Makes big difference in texture.

3. Remove after chilling. Just run a knife around the cheesecake after baking to release it, then let it cool. Once it has chilled, you can remove the pan and move to a serving dish (or in my case, eat it ).

Hope this helps (if too late, maybe for next time).

brobin
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Dec-27-03, 08:41

Stats: 150/146/130 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 20%

Thanks, brobin. I already made it and I toasted the nuts about that long and I did bring the cream cheese to room temperature. That part all went well, but when I removed the cake from the oven it looked as if the San Adreas fault ran right through it! What causes this cracking? It tasted good...I think I'd add a bit more Splenda next time. All in all it turned out pretty good for a rookie, and it garnered only minimal teasing from my brother!
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 22:37

Personally, I would bake this in a water bath, longer and slower. When it is just a bit jiggly in the center, turn off the oven, crack the door, and leave it there for at least another 30 minutes. This allows the cheesecake to cool slowly and helps prevent cracks.

Now all this may still not work. I noticed that my cake cracked a bit as well since the eggs souffle quite a bit, causing the cracks while rising! Perhaps the water bath and slower cooking will allow it to rise without cracking.

I for one am willing to continue experimenting on this recipe.

brobin
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 06:34

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 137/135/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Drool...... :)

Karen,

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

This was the BEST low carb dessert ever! My slim sugar guzzling boyfriend also loved it and couldn't taste any difference from regular cheesecake. He wants me to make it again already! Ha ha, maybe in a few weeks as I don't want to overindulge. I'm bringing the last few pieces to a friend's birthday get together tomorrow so that I can also have dessert when they have their birthday cake. It'll taste way better than their last minute grocery store cake and ice cream so it will be the first time I will be losing weight while eating BETTER tasting dessert than my companions! I'm also going to make it for my diabetic uncle sometime as he rarely gets to eat desert anymore. Mmmmm..... It was creamy and delicious, thanks again Maybe I CAN handle low carbing long term if I can just have desserts like this once in a while.

brobin,

Thanks very much for the tips. I toasted the nuts and brought everything to room temperature beforehand. I tried my first water bath and then cooled the cake with the door partially open as you suggested. It turned out wonderfully and was very smooth and creamy in texture. I'll use these methods in future cheesecakes. (I am a beginner at cooking, but loving it)
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 22:00

Glad it worked out! I just made it again yesterday, but I was in a rush so didn't bother with the water bath. It cracked, but it was darn good. I served it to my friend as a reward for him completing induction. His wife mocked us all night about our diet, then gobbled down the cheesecake.

I had way too much, but didn't gain any weight.

brobin
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 16:12
Registered Member

Stats: 158/148/129 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Wow, made this cheesecake yesterday and can't even tell it's LC! My b/f absolutely loves it. We'll be taking half this cake to his sister's house tomorrow as she is LC'ing too.

Thank you for posting this recipe!

Pam
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Dec-06-04, 13:09

Plan: diabetic
Stats: 295/285/150 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress:
Talking Pfruitlupe the Home Ec Teacher

Hey I tried this cheesecake. Wow what a wonderful treat. Married to a diabetic and pcos myself. Loving this! Inlaws are "real" new yorkers... not just from the state like myself, they loved it!!! penny
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Nov-21-05, 14:40

Plan: To Stay Sane
Stats: 275/239.4/224 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 70%

OK wow. I made this this past weekend to see if I would make it again for Thanksgiving. WOWOOWOWOWOW. It's friggin cheesecake to a T. Next time, I think I'd add more splenda, but NOBODY would guess that it's sugar free -- and the crust!!!!!!!! PERFECTO!
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Nov-21-05, 15:06
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

The cracking can be prevented by cooking it in a water bath. At least, that is what Alton Brown says. However, if you do a water bath, you probably shouldn't use a spring form pan.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Nov-21-05, 15:26

Plan: To Stay Sane
Stats: 275/239.4/224 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 70%

actually I was watching a cooking show the other day and what you should do is wrap the spring form pan in double alum foil and then put it in a water bath... the foil should elimnate water from seeping in