Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1126   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-19, 07:25

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I tried monthly 4-5 day IFs and came to the same conclusion. If I'm already in fat burning mode (ketosis), which I am, I don't need to IF other than for periodic natural cleansing purposes to induce autophagy. That's how I approach it now, and do my multi-day IFs much less frequently. I strongly believe periodic entrances into the state that causes autophagy is very healthy. Staying in continual or daily fat burning mode is what makes me feel best and maintains my weight, energy, and desire to be active.
Sponsored Links
  #1127   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-19, 07:37

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
I tried monthly 4-5 day IFs and came to the same conclusion. If I'm already in fat burning mode (ketosis), which I am, I don't need to IF other than for periodic natural cleansing purposes to induce autophagy. That's how I approach it now, and do my multi-day IFs much less frequently. I strongly believe periodic entrances into the state that causes autophagy is very healthy. Staying in continual or daily fat burning mode is what makes me feel best and maintains my weight, energy, and desire to be active.

I love that, it makes so much sense to me. I started my Keto plan with a 3 day fast that was surprisingly easy, and ran across the suggestion that such a stretch is needed no more than four times a year.
  #1128   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-19, 09:17

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

That's about where my frequency is, quarterly multi-day IFs. As research becomes more specific, we'll be able to confirm the optimum frequency, but the variable for those who are fat burners may have an influence on the ideal frequency as well. I'm relying on people like Ben Bikman, Mark Mattson, Jason Fung, Dom D'Agostino, Attia, and others who have a history of recommending IF as a companion to a healthy WOE to optimize vitality and longevity.
  #1129   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-19, 09:34

BF:

And I would imagine, just as long fasts are an emergency when people are very sick, being in ketosis is like a maintenance mode where fasting is needed, less.
  #1130   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-19, 11:56

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I have mixed feelings about skipping meals. When I weighed the most is when I skipped breakfast. When I began eating breakfast of eggs and all meat sausage or bacon is when the weight was just falling off left and right. I literally lost 30 lbs in 6 weeks.

Yeah, so far the weight loss results aren't as good as eating three meals -- and I've only done one 23-hour fast. But my data is still very limited.

My biggest concern is that I'm not eating enough. I don't want to do anything to encourage my metabolism to slow down. I've read/seen Dr. Fung's blogs and speeches about this and understand that extended fasting doesn't cause the same BMR slow-down as calorie restriction. But I'm not sure how this translates to TRE or a 24 hour fast.
  #1131   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-19, 12:25

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

One thing that eating meals on a regular basis does in my mind is to help stabilize BS. Getting rid of the carbs to me stops the up and down syndrome so then I had real fuel to function. I wasn't testing BS but for me staying under 20g and many times only 5-6g in the beginning would cause me to literally feel like I was going down if I didn't eat on a regular basis.
Then, I had very bad dizziness that was happening for several hours so then I began supplementing with Magnesium and then Potassium plus getting plenty of salt.
I think I had lost a lot of electrolytes loosing weight that fast.
  #1132   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-19, 04:18

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

New article on breakfast in Vox, so I started a thread in Research and Media forum. https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=481970
Interesting to hear what other non-fasting members think about it, I believe the New Atkins book said never go longer than 6 hours without eating??

Eating breakfast is not a good weight loss strategy, scientists confirm.
Cereal companies created a myth about the first meal of the day. Researchers keep debunking it.

https://www.vox.com/2019/2/1/182068...iet-weight-loss

Of course, Dr Fung has had two posts about breakfast, over three years ago. https://idmprogram.com/tyranny-breakfast-lose-weight-v/. And https://idmprogram.com/breakfast-break-fast-idm-1/

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Feb-02-19 at 08:26.
  #1133   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-19, 09:01

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

So I’m currently rethinking my IF schedule. I started out doing 16/8 quite a while ago (when the Obesity Code came out), but was drinking Diet Coke. On September 6, I gave up Diet Coke and picked up another bad habit, low fat lattes. I had no idea it was triggering such an inflammatory response, with cystic acne for the first time in my life and the chronic joint pain that I’ve always had increased exponentially. So, back a couple of months ago, I cut out the lattes and started doing 20/4 IF. That morphed into OMAD on the weekdays and 16/8 on the weekends, when I’m with my family.

I had great results through the fall and went from 230+ down to 206~208. And according to my Happy Scale app, my overall trend is going down, but I haven’t hit a new low since December 6. I had expected to be under 200 by mid February and it’s not looking like that’s a possibility. I lost 3 pounds from January 1, when I was swollen and puffy from a bit of alcohol, to 208 today. So...I basically lost my holiday bloat. I would be thrilled with that, if I hadn’t been so diligent with my fasting...and cutting out my lattes.

So, maybe it’s time to shake things up? I’m afraid that I’ll fall into that group of people who think more is better, constantly increasing the IF schedule and lowering the carbs and food in general, chasing faster results. I honestly don’t know what approach is best for me, but I enjoy how I feel fasted and it’s broken a lot of addictive food behaviors for me. It’s been the key that has shifted my 5 year stall. I’d get down to 225 and get stuck and then discouraged. I’d get up to the 250’s again and freak out. Then I’d get back into the 220’s, where I’d get stuck again. This went on for years! I love IF!!

Anyway, should I stick with what I’m doing and be patient, or is there a danger in doing OMAD 5-6 days a week? Maybe I should start incorporating 36 hour fasts, but doing that 2-3 times a week couldn’t be better for insulin reduction than say, eating in a 2 hour window most days, could it?

On a different note, I find it upsetting to see that my two favorite doctors, Phinney and Fung are so irritated with each other. Dr. Phinney especially shows his irritation in his most recent YouTube presentations. It’s sad. Shouldn’t they be on the same team? And who’s right?

Last edited by FREE2BEME : Sun, Feb-03-19 at 07:56.
  #1134   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-19, 12:17

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE2BEME
So, maybe it’s time to shake things up? I’m afraid that I’ll fall into that group of people who think more is better, constantly increasing the IF schedule and lowering the carbs and food in general, chasing faster results.
Well, I'm far from an expert, but I believe I've heard Dr. Fung and Megan Ramos suggest that it's a better idea to mix things up than do the same thing day-in and day-out. On the Obesity Code Facebook page they host group fasts every week and every week the schedules are different. This week the "beginners" have 18:6s alternating with 42 hours (total fast day flowing into the next 18:6). Last week it had 16:8s, some 24s and a 36. So, consider changing things up first.

Also, you've lost a great amount of weight so far. That's hard work, so congratulations! But since there's less of you to sustain, your BMR has probably dropped. If you're eating the same as you were when you were 50 lbs. heavier, you might be eating a bit too much. I think IF probably controls a lot of that, but if you're really, really stalled, it's worth checking out. Do you track what you eat?
  #1135   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-19, 06:15

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Brandy,
Seems you are doing much better and your body taking a pause. But those hard to break-through numbers are very frustrating, so close to Onederland and your body fights back.
My first thought was the same as CityGirl. Join the Obesity Code FB, read all their suggestions to "shake things up" in Files, links to helpful IFM posts, and if you need more personal advice, just ask. Great moderators, members who are very experienced with fasting protocols, it is a large and helpful group.
  #1136   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-19, 21:20

Plan: Atkins & IF
Stats: 260/213/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Thank you, CityGirl and JEY. I think you’re both right. I’ve had great success after a long drought. I’m just getting impatient. And I do need to track and will start that again today. I’ve gotten sloppy with carbs because I’ve given up so much already, I guess, though I don’t feel deprived. I sort of subconsciously figure that with the fasting, I should be able to get away with some breading on my meat or sauces. But apparently I can’t, if I want to make progress. I know my calories are under 1000 a day during the week because I was only eating one meal a day. The weekends were more like 1600-1800. This about the same as what I was eating before the fasting, but it was spread throughout the day, so I wasn’t receiving the hormonal benefits from fasting.

I gave up my Facebook account but reactivated it last night to check out that fasting group and realized I was already a member. 😆 The beginner casts seem kind of long to me! 😆 I think I will do their challenges but modify it a bit for my family. We always eat dinner together and are super traditional in that way. But because of schedules and activities, sometimes three of us will eat together and then two will eat later. That’s most Thursday’s and Saturday’s, so those might be good times to do the 36-48 hour fasts. Otherwise, I’m going to do alternate 24 and 16/8 fasts. That should mix things up more than just doing 2 hour windows of eating most days of the week. And I’ll do a better job of tracking what I eat. I suspect my protein is still too low, even by Dr. Fung’s standards.

Thanks for all the help!!

Last edited by FREE2BEME : Sun, Feb-03-19 at 21:57.
  #1137   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-19, 16:46

Plan: DDF, Fung
Stats: 247/209/199 Female 66.5"
BF:kickin it
Progress: 79%

I have some questions about OMAD.
I'm getting conflicting info about whether this is sustainable.
How can fasting be healthy, but OMAD be unhealthy?
Is it just because you shouldn't do it long-term? why not?
  #1138   ^
Old Fri, Feb-08-19, 17:59

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

IMO OMAD has many faces. I did try it about 9 months ago with great sucess. Generally fasting is not supported on this forum. Hence the suggestion to visit the FB group by JEY.

I LIKED the 37 days of OMAD. Dropped the pounds fast, broke up the log jam. Allowed 2 days a week of two meals just to be flexible given family life. But only planning the one meal a day was freeing--- just one meal to work out not 2 not 3, no planning snacks other than broiled beef fat or similar.

I suspect that how long one does OMAD is based on the amount of weight to drop. Though the utubers that I checked out also use it for maintenance. And Much depends on what foods are used for the OMAD meal. Personally, I included higher carb foods like sweet potato or a huge salad. Rarely a sweet treat of SAD type. Overall, I gorged for one hour then didnt eat for the next 23. 37 days of that was enough, for me. Though I would do it again ..... maybe just 30 days or a couple weeks.
  #1139   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-19, 02:12

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojolissa
I have some questions about OMAD.
I'm getting conflicting info about whether this is sustainable.
How can fasting be healthy, but OMAD be unhealthy?
Is it just because you shouldn't do it long-term? why not?

Just my n=1. I started Fast-5 in December 2013 and have never stopped. Last few years it is more like 23/1. That is. I eat once a day. I don't like the term OMAD because of all the "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" discussions on Facebook around "What is a meal? Do you eat a meal, or a meal and a snack?" about which I care not a jot.
  #1140   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-19, 02:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE2BEME
I sort of subconsciously figure that with the fasting, I should be able to get away with some breading on my meat or sauces. But apparently I can’t, if I want to make progress. I know my calories are under 1000 a day during the week because I was only eating one meal a day. The weekends were more like 1600-1800. This about the same as what I was eating before the fasting, but it was spread throughout the day, so I wasn’t receiving the hormonal benefits from fasting.

Lots of people responding to this thread:

the case against snacking

About meal timing, and how many carbs, too.