Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1156   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-19, 08:27

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I have decided to try 2 24 hour fasts per week with the first one starting today. I ate breakfast and I do not plan to eat until breakfast tomorrow. I was already only eating 2 meals a day and not eating between 12 and 16 hours each day so this should be doable. I have experienced some weight gain and I want to get back down to where I was before. I am using an app called "Zero" to track my fasts. I figure it will work like Fitbit has done as a motivator that keeps me honest.
Sponsored Links
  #1157   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-19, 13:40

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

That app looks neat, Jean. Good luck!
  #1158   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-19, 12:36

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I am using an app called "Zero" to track my fasts. I figure it will work like Fitbit has done as a motivator that keeps me honest.
For the paranoid among us: I've heard a lot of complaints about the recent Zero update that required people to register using an email and now has what appears to be tracking and targeted advertising. Otherwise, people seem to like the interface. Other people seem to like Fastient, particularly those that like to join groups. I use Fast Habit. The basic version of that is free, but if you want to track more than 10 days or track your weight against your fasting time, you'll need to upgrade for $2.99. No registration is required and there is no advertising even in the free version.
  #1159   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-19, 12:48

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl8
For the paranoid among us: I've heard a lot of complaints about the recent Zero update that required people to register using an email and now has what appears to be tracking and targeted advertising. Otherwise, people seem to like the interface. Other people seem to like Fastient, particularly those that like to join groups. I use Fast Habit. The basic version of that is free, but if you want to track more than 10 days or track your weight against your fasting time, you'll need to upgrade for $2.99. No registration is required and there is no advertising even in the free version.

I am liking Zero. I'm not aware of any advertising coming my way and giving them my email address didn't bother me. Should it? Lots of internet sites have my email. What about me are they tracking that should have me concerned? I saw all those reviews not liking the update also but decided to try it anyway. Once you start using the internet all kinds of invasions of privacy are no doubt happening and I've been using the internet for a very long time. I guess I just don't have the level of paranoia that some people do. It's hard to know what to be worried about and what not to.
  #1160   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-19, 13:05

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Short article about Low Carb and IF by Johnny Bowden, mentioning Dr. Fung and Dr. Eades.
https://wholefoodsmagazine.com/colu...asting-so-much/
  #1161   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-19, 14:35

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Very sound article and summary by Bowden. Thank you, Janet. I can relate to the diseases he lists as being caused by insulin resistance, as I've eliminated several of these and no longer have any symptoms of IR.
  #1162   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-19, 15:53

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Excellent article by Dr. Bowden! Thank you for posting.

#1163   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-19, 18:26

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Enjoying the reading! My life has been in a funk since my house fire and death of my son last August but I’ve decided it’s time to take my life back. Since I have only limited cooking facilities in my temporary housing (a microwave and a small toaster oven) my eating has not been the best-lots of take-out and fast foods! I had to see the doctor last week for a strained Achilles’ tendon, and was surprised to find my weight was only up five pounds after about seven months of lots of junk, so now trying to get back to the good side. Since I was fasting at the time I saw the doctor she decided to do a blood test as well. I’ve asked for a copy of the results which I haven’t gotten yet but they had an administrative clerk call me to just say the doctor wanted me to lose weight (of course, no surprise), go on a low-fat plant-based diet (never gonna happen!) and would I consider going on a statin? (Never in this lifetime I told her). But it did prompt me to re-read a bunch of Fung. I lent my copies of The Obesity Code and The Complete Guide to Fasting to my son a few months before he died and he never got them back to me, and my DiL is not sure where they are. So I re-read The Diabetes Code which doesn’t have as much fastin info as I would like. But I did like the eating charts incorporating 30 or 36 hour fasts several days a week. The one time in the past when I did lose significant weight was a time when I didn’t fast (that was really on no ones radar in 1985) but did constantly shake up my caloric intake, eating 800 calories one day and 2100 the next, and maybe 1500 the third day, etc. I had no scientific reason why. I just had this gut feel that changing up the numbers would keep my body guessing and possibly prevent starvation mode. Unfortunately, being it was 1985, I also ate very low fat, and was so miserable all the time that despite my great success I eventually decided I’d rather weigh 300 pounds than eat like that for one more day!

So anyway I do have access to a scale now. I fasted all day Friday and then ate three large Keto meals on Saturday, and today the scale was down three pounds. Still a couple more just to get back to where I was in August but hey, it’s a start.
  #1164   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-19, 19:03

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Debbie, I am so sorry to hear about the house fire and death of your son. That is a lot to deal with, but you seem to be on the right track with your "health" providers and recommitment to LCHF. Do you have a small fridge? When I travel and have only a fridge and microwave, I bring my 2 cup pyrex measuring cup and use it to mix, nuke & eat out of. Melt some butter, add dried chives and some eggs, mix, nuke & eat breakfast. Rotisserie chicken with vegs, etc. Best wishes!
  #1165   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-19, 20:39

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I do have a fridge. I’ve been trying now to make myself cook more despite the facilities. My local Fresh Market had their rotisserie chickens on sale for $5 the other day and I bought the butter and garlic version. Yum. Plus steamed some fresh baby asparagus tips in the microwave. Good meal. Last night I made “chicken nuggets” from the leftover chicken-cut into bite sized chunks, then coated in a mixture of melted butter and duck fat, then rolled in a mixture of dried Parmesan cheese powder mixed with garlic and parsley powder-and then baked in the toaster oven. That with broccoli steamed in the microwave. Not my fave veggie but my granddaughter was over and it’s one of the few veggies she’ll eat. I topped mine with some Sir Kensington avocado oil mayo mixed with a bit of Dijon mustard. Sir Kensington is pricey but so far I’ve found it my fave as far as taste, texture and mouth feel. The Primal Kitchen Mayo was so awful I tossed it into the trash after one use. And the Costco avocado oil mayo is cheaper but I’m pretty meh about the taste.

I’ve been buying some of the pre-cooked bacon 🥓 which you can just nuke for a few seconds for it to taste good, and I’ve been getting better about nuking scrambled eggs.

And of course you don’t need any sort of kitchen facilities at all if you are fasting. 🤪

And hopefully it will only be a few weeks before ilmback in my own home again. I miss “real” cooking.
  #1166   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-19, 04:27

Debbie, After all you have been through, it seems that you are doing well under the circumstances. Hope you are back in your home soon.

If you want "Eating charts" same as the book, highly recommend the Obesity Code FB Page. The moderators lead, encourage and support a beginning and advanced fast most every week. Previous ones are kept in the amazing OCN Files section. By now every possible eating chart is probably there. Recently there has been a focus on a 36-42 hour fast 3x week for weight loss, same as in the book. The original has that "keep body guessing" baked in. Simple...Don’t eat M-W-F, delay eating the following day as per your hunger, but do eat dinner.
  #1167   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-19, 06:37

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Watched a movie last night: "The Science of Fasting"

It's very well done including practices from Russia, Germany, UK, France, and USA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1b08X-GvRs

Longo and his team make an appearance. There could have been many other researchers included; yet, it was balanced and informative.
  #1168   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-19, 07:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Watched a movie last night: "The Science of Fasting"

It's very well done including practices from Russia, Germany, UK, France, and USA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1b08X-GvRs

Longo and his team make an appearance. There could have been many other researchers included; yet, it was balanced and informative.

Looks good..I need one of those spas in the middle of nowhere. Like their electronic record system This was published in 2015, thanks for finding it. Seen part, Will finish the film later.
  #1169   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-19, 11:44

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

I watched this a couple of weeks ago and thought it was a good overview. Some of those fasting retreats seemed pretty tempting.
  #1170   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-19, 12:39

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

^ Good video.

Last edited by s93uv3h : Tue, Mar-12-19 at 12:55.