Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-24, 01:57

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Dr Georgia Ede: Change Your Diet, Change Your Mind

With the release of her new book Change Your Diet, Change Your Mind , Dr Georgia Ede is hosting a livestream Q&A.

Change Your Diet, Change Your Mind: A Powerful Plan to Improve Mood, Overcome Anxiety, and Protect Memory for a Lifetime of Optimal Mental Health

Quote:
Livestream Launch Day Q&A and Giveaway!

Please join me on Tuesday January 30th at 5 pm ET for a livestream launch day Q&A gathering on Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook to celebrate the release of my new book Change Your Diet, Change Your Mind.

I will spend a few minutes telling you more about how this book can help you or someone you love, what makes it different from all other books about brain food, and showing you what’s inside, but then I’ll open it up for your questions. Feel free to ask me anything, whether it’s about the book or not; from clinical tips to nutrition science to what I named my first childhood pet—it’s all fair game.

Everyone who joins live can enter a drawing to win one of three copies of Change Your Diet, Change Your Mind that I will personally sign and send to you wherever you live. Please RSVP to the Eventbrite here.

It’s about connecting in real time as a community of people passionate about better nutrition and better mental health. It’s also about thanking all of you for your interest in the dietary root causes of our mental health crisis. Thank you for joining my mailing list, sharing my articles and presentations, and engaging with me here, on social media, and at conferences around the world. It is your enthusiasm and support for this work that have helped me grow the platform I need to share this hopeful information with a larger audience in the form of this book. The science emerging from the fields of nutritional and metabolic psychiatry represents an exciting and long overdue paradigm shift in mental health care, and everyone interested in improving and protecting their mental health deserves to know about it.

CYDCYM and Healing Humanity Join Forces to Inspire Hope!

At 8pm ET, we’ll continue the festivities on YouTube live with the wonderful Kerry Mann Jr, Dr. Tony Hampton, and Dr. Anthony Chaffee. Kerry is working on a groundbreaking documentary called Healing Humanity that features inspiring stories of people who have put mental illness into remission with a carnivore diet.

The first hour of this three-hour event will focus on nutrition and mental health: educational strategies, dietary interventions, advancements in nutritional psychiatry, transformative stories, and overcoming challenges. In hour 2 (at 9pm ET) we’ll hear testimonials from some of the people in Healing Humanity. In hour 3, (at 10pm ET) we’ll turn the mic over to you, creating an open forum for you to ask questions of Dr. Hampton, Dr. Chaffee, and me.

To learn more about the Healing Humanity project, please view the trailer here and watch Kerry’s interview with me on January 6th.

I wrote Change Your Diet, Change Your Mind to help people with mental health problems (and the clinicians who care for them) understand and apply the cutting-edge science of nutritional and metabolic psychiatry to their lives to see what it can do for them.

Please come join me to celebrate and help me spread the word about the book, and don’t forget to bring your burning brain food questions!

Please share these announcements with others who may be interested.

Last edited by Demi : Tue, Jan-30-24 at 02:02.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-07-24, 05:15

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dr Georgia Ede’s gets an excerpt article on CNBC.

Harvard-trained nutrition expert: If I could only prioritize one food in my diet, it’d be this Spoiler, it's MEAT.

Between .6 to 1 gram per pound of ideal Body Weight!*

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/02/06/har...e-this-one.html

*From my diving into protein research, and over 3 years experience, if you are a senior and want to reach and maintain your ideal body weight, 1 gram per pound is a good goal.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-24, 10:22

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

I don’t post much here, but read the forum voraciously, as well as many books on the subject of health and low carbing.
I have to say that Dr Eades new book is the most comprehensive and clearcut explanation of how and why ketogenic diets work to our benefit that I have ever come across, and I am only 1/2 way done!
Yes, it is quite scientific in places (where Dr. Eades even mentions that it is alright to skip over), but my understanding of how insulin resistance develops and affects so many systems in our bodies has increased 10-fold.
Highly, highly recommend!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-24, 20:08

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Thanks for the review, Ci!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-24, 11:41

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshepard
I don’t post much here, but read the forum voraciously, as well as many books on the subject of health and low carbing.
I have to say that Dr Eades new book is the most comprehensive and clearcut explanation of how and why ketogenic diets work to our benefit that I have ever come across, and I am only 1/2 way done!
Yes, it is quite scientific in places (where Dr. Eades even mentions that it is alright to skip over), but my understanding of how insulin resistance develops and affects so many systems in our bodies has increased 10-fold.
Highly, highly recommend!

I think you might be confusing names. Dr. Georgia Ede is the author of the new book. Dr. Michael Eades and his wife, Dr. Mary Dan Eades, are the authors of quite a few low-carb books, like Protein Power.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-24, 08:27

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
I think you might be confusing names. Dr. Georgia Ede is the author of the new book. Dr. Michael Eades and his wife, Dr. Mary Dan Eades, are the authors of quite a few low-carb books, like Protein Power.

Not confusing the people, just the spelling! Thanks : )
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-24, 09:15

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Happens to me all the time!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-24, 12:47

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

For those who are interested, Dr Georgia Ede recently joined Dr Zoe Harcombe on her podcast:

Quote:
Zoë chats with Dr Georgia Ede about diets

For an hour, in this wonderful meeting of minds, Georgia and I talk about why the dietary guidelines are just about the opposite of what we should be advised to eat.

We discuss how we both got into the world of diet and health and why we now think as we do. Georgia shares when and how she personally realised that many plants were ‘not her friends’ and how she resolved this.

We cover animal foods vs plant foods, nutrients, anti-nutrients and what we need to base meals on.

We talk about Georgia’s forthcoming book Change your diet, change your mind and the three different diet plans within. We also talk about the challenges of writing the book, not least capturing the individual way in which Georgia works and applying this to general principles that can help more people.

Georgia explains how her psychiatry practice changed from meds and therapy to food and nutrition and the results that can be achieved.

We also cover – not only are plants ‘not all that’, but they defend themselves against being eaten and some can be quite problematic for different people. Georgia explains the signs that might indicate that some plants are causing us problems, which ones particularly and what we can do about it.

You may never think of broccoli in the same way again!

https://www.zoeharcombe.com/2024/01...de-about-diets/

#9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-22-24, 04:14

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Georgia explains how her psychiatry practice changed from meds and therapy to food and nutrition and the results that can be achieved.

And right on time, a counter-study:

Quote:
Eating too much protein is bad for your arteries, and this amino acid is to blame
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...40219130901.htm

But the "protein" they used is Boost. More sugar than protein!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-22-24, 09:44

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
And right on time, a counter-study:

But the "protein" they used is Boost. More sugar than protein!
The study was done on mice.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-24, 04:16

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

We sure know how mice should take care of themselves
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-24, 07:34

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Apparently I've missed something in that article (despite reading it multiple times) - I'm not seeing where they mention Boost as the source of the protein. Can you quote the part where Boost is mentioned? The ads keep jumping around and I suspect the ads are blocking parts of the text.

I don't doubt that's what they used though since they mentioned "protein enriched meals" and the reference to hospital settings where protein enriched meals are used to help prevent muscle loss = because Boost is what they use in hospitals and nursing homes for that purpose - they figure sick people will drink a milkshake more readily than they'll eat a plate of food, especially if their illness ruins their appetite, or the drugs they're on interferes with their sense of taste.

In nursing homes, they know that the taste buds of the elderly tend to pick up sweet flavors much more readily than savory flavors, so they'll actually drink those things even if they won't eat anything. Not to mention that a lot of elderly nursing home residents can't chew very well, so even if they're eating, they only eat soft foods, which really limits the types of protein they can eat.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-24, 11:49

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Same study Dr Stu Phillips is shredding on Twitter: https://www.nature.com/articles/s42255-024-00984-2
They used Boost Plus, ingredients are water, glucose syrup, sugar, vegetable oil, milk and soy protein for 14g protein, 45 g carbs.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Feb-23-24 at 12:09.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-24, 13:04

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Boost.

My mother had difficulty getting her failing husband to eat. The doctor suggested Boost. He lingered for 5 years subsisting on mostly Boost.

It was along slow decline.

------

Dr Ede has been featured on may YT channels ,to promote her new book. She deserves the traffic. Our brains control our quality of life and physical function.

She is a gem, and a voice Ive followed for years.

( She authored a terrific article on what supplements are beneficial for a vegan. She carefully described like 18 nutrients!! Meaning our brains need meats, and plenty.,)
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-23-24, 13:59

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Boost.

My mother had difficulty getting her failing husband to eat. The doctor suggested Boost. He lingered for 5 years subsisting on mostly Boost.

It was along slow decline.

Several years before my MIL was admitted to a nursing home, she was drinking Boost daily. Not in place of all other food, but for solid food, she was mostly eating cookies, pastries, cake, and other junk food by that point. For a few years prior to that she was eating some little frozen diet meals, but not only was her sense of taste almost totally gone (except for the ability to taste sweet), she had also declared that she just didn't like vegetables any more, so she stopped eating those.

At one point during those years she told DH and me that we should drink Boost too, because "it's really good for you!" I'm sure she was just going by what her DR told her to convince her to drink those since her appetite was so low and she couldn't taste anything that wasn't sweet.

Of course I seriously doubt she'd ever given a thought in her life to nutrition as such. (southern cook - plenty of meats of all kinds, eggs, butter, and bacon. Not a lot of fruit, but plenty of veggies from the garden and of course biscuits and cornbread - a relatively balanced diet for the south during her lifetime)

I have no idea what she was eating when she went into the nursing home - I suspect she was mostly just drinking boost by that point, although she might have also eaten whatever dessert they brought with her meals.