Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-08, 09:04

Plan:
Stats: 290/191/170 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%
Thumbs up Delicious hamburger soup/stew

So I absolutely love stews and soups and I always have.

Here's a new one that I have made, designed after a high carb hamburger soup that my mom used to make every once in a while.

So start off with putting however much hamburger you want in a big pot(I like mine meaty so I use quite a bit).
Then get that cooking and when it's mostly cooked I like to throw in a couple spices. Not very much but a couple dashes. I use Oregano(don't use too much!), Basil, Parsley(lots), white pepper, black pepper(lots), and sage.
Then I throw in chopped up onions. Empty in a whole can of tomatoes(diced, whole, whatever). Next goes in a couple diced up carrots and usually a whole turnip that is cut up into chunks. Then fill it up with water over the vegetables and let it cook. Add salt and more pepper to taste. When the veggies are cooked, it's done. I made this on Wednesday and when it was done I decided to add a bit of low carb thickener and it thickened it to like a tomatoey gravy. Man was that delicious!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-08, 10:18
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

This sounds interesting -- I might try that. I was wondering what kind of stew-like thing I could make using hamburger meat (which is cheapest meat for me) just yesterday. I was thinking, "I have cans of rotel diced tomatoes and peppers, basic spices and herbs, and some matchstick carrots..." sounds like it'd work perfect! Thanks!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-08, 11:29
Every moment is NOW.

I made this yesterday. I thought the result was a bit dull, like it needed some strong 'binding' flavor. We tried a few mix variants and ended up adding a few spoons of italian red sauce to a big bowl and mixing it up, and I felt that improved it. Even then, I wasn't 100% crazy about the taste, but I must not have disliked it too much since I sucked down a surprising amount of the stuff in a short time. Mine had matchstick carrots and red and black beans in it as well as the other ingredients. I think I might make it again in the future, but I'll probably either add some tomato puree and more spices/herbs, or chili/cumin, or something like that.

In any case, it was a great use for 4# of burger I needed to use immediately, and with the little sauce addition the kid loved it, so thanks for posting it!!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-08, 13:41

Plan: Custom low-carb
Stats: 240/188/140 Female 168 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

I used to make something similar in my pre-LC days It remains to this day one of the tastiest things I ever cooked

Mine went:

Plenty of hamburger meat
one can tomatoes
lots of chopped onion
lots of garlic
whatever veggies I had on hand (when I had any, I like it better without teh veggies)
a cube of chicken broth.
salt, pepper and...

here's my secret, take note, Mixed Spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, mace and I forget what else). It's a sweet spice so about a tsp. will do it.

How-to:
cook the onions in the saucepan in a bit of oil, until soft. Toss in the garlic and meat and brown lightly.
toss in everything else, mix, cover and let it cook until the meat is done.

It is soooooo good. The sweet spices give it a little oriental kick without being overwhelming. Also, it works really well in a dorm room and student budget :P
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-08, 21:59
Every moment is NOW.

Today I made a variant of the previous recipe attempt. I actually made so much I had to use two (5.5qt and huge 8.5qt) crockpots, LOL. It's GREAT -- I mean I *love* this one.

This is more in the low-to-moderate carb range. I'm not in induction.

Ground burger
Ground sausage
Big can Rotel tomatoes-peppers
potassium salt, big-grind black pepper.
Dump it in crock and cook for a few hours on high.
Then chunk it up with wooden spoon.
Use beaters to make the burger more like chili than chunky.

Add a tiny can tomato puree, package of taco seasoning (I get the lower-sodium one which is also lower carb), and in one of the pots today I added some chili seasoning too. Stir.

Presoak your favorite dry beans overnight, then rinse. They have diff carb counts. This is optional and can be left out, but adds a lot.

I then added chopped carrots, chopped celery, frozen chopped spinach, chopped onion, chopped red bell pepper, chopped garlic (a whole head of cloves), the soaked beans, a variety of italian herbs and red pepper flakes, and cooked on high another 3-4 hours.

It's truly awesome. Because it's so much protein it's not like one is going to eat a ton of the stuff at a single sitting, so a few extra carbs are not a big deal for me in this. I might never get spinach and celery down my throat otherwise but it cooked into the seasoning so well it's one of the better parts of the stew.

PJ
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-08, 22:38

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Sounds good, I can't wait to try this soup. Taking the ground beef out tonight. Never made soup out of ground beef...
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-08, 10:39

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

This sounds like the recipe that came in the Presto Pressure Cooker recipe book many years ago - it was called Hamburg Chowder. I've been making it for years, pretty much as the original was written, except leaving out the potatoes and pot barley, and adding a large handful of basil and lots of garlic and dried chile flakes. Never thought of adding beans, but that would be a good addition - I'll try that next time.

I usually serve it as a stew poured over mashed cauli.

Glenda
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-08, 10:41

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/181.5/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

I make something similar to this but I add a huge amount of cabbage and let it cook down. very good.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-08, 19:28
Every moment is NOW.

Cabbage! Doh! Why didn't I think of that?? One of those bags of grated slaw cabbage at the store would be cheap and fast and add a little bulk to the stew. Well my version doesn't need that, I had to *add* water before it was over, it's super thick -- but to any stew, cabbage would probably work great.

(Though I'm wondering if a 'beans and cabbage' stew might have other, less desireable consequences . . . LOL)
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-08, 21:27

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/181.5/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

I don't use beans at all so I don't have that combo effect

My soup was excellent. Glad I made it today.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-08, 18:40
Registered Member

Plan: all meat low starchy veg
Stats: 130/125/120 Male 178 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

carrot n beans are high carb!!nonono!!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-08, 19:09
AntiSAD

Plan: finding my happy place
Stats: 245/231.4/200 Female 67 inches.
BF:
Progress: 30%

I make mine with cauli and just before serving I throw some grated cheese in.

I like to use a knorr onion soup mix to punch it up a bit too.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-08, 20:18
revcharlie

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kekeland

depends on what plan you're on!!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-08, 23:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/187/158 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

i make hamburger soup- now i did use for mine tomatoe juice but if your low carbing tomatoe juice would have lots of carbs- i use a can of diced tomatoes, onions, cabbage,celery, green beans, water for soup, i add a low carb coney sauce in my soup to give a more meaty taste then i do not use the tomatoe juice when i add that . i add bay leaves, italian seasoning, orgegano to my soup. i use my dutch cast iron oven and cook for a couple of hours or just when it is done to your liking. i also add hamburger to it or use ground turkey to it. both come out great. sue

Last edited by missymagoo : Tue, Oct-14-08 at 23:02. Reason: forgot to add ingredent
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-08, 12:05

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kekeland

Quote:
Originally Posted by revcharlie
depends on what plan you're on!!

And what level of the plan! Carrots pack a powerful flavour punch with a small amount and a few black beans add some needed texture. A few extra nutrient-dense carbs divided over 6 or more servings isn't too worrisome if you're on the right rung. Savoury flax muffins make a nice go-with for this whether you serve it as a soup or a stew.