Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-18, 11:28

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
tweet : My experience in losing 98lbs and putting type 2 diabetes in remission has given me a new mission to help others. Today I'm announcing Labour's commitment to halt the alarming rise in diabetes within one term of govt.

Tom Watson's video about Reversing Diabetes.
https://mobile.twitter.com/tom_wats...0327809/video/1

What an inspirational message!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-18, 12:35

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I hope politicization doesn't polarize people on this issue. One reason why I'm happy with the no politics rule on this forum, although like a lot of people here, sometimes I can't help myself and somebody has to remind me. This is too important to be just for people of this or that political persuasion, there's plenty of people on the forum with political views far from my own, in various different directions. who I'm quite fond of and glad have found a low carb approach that helps them.

Which is exactly why I've met with both political sides locally to discuss the issue here, not just one.

I don't really care who recognises and acts upon the issue, I just care that the issue is someday recognised and acted upon.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-18, 17:01

BF:

Seems like a bipartisan issue---if I used that word right--first time. Might bring parties together.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-18, 02:12

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
The male diet boom: why men are tackling their midlife obesity crisis

A third of men in England aged 45-54 are obese. Labour’s Tom Watson was one of them until he shed the pounds and reversed his diabetes – and he’s not alone

https://www.theguardian.com/society...etes-tom-watson
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-18, 06:31

BF:

Quote:
Last week, by speaking out about his weight loss and its dramatic effect on his health and wellbeing, Labour’s deputy leader became an unlikely poster boy for a generation of new dieters: middle-aged men.

Getting the men on board is a good thing.

Interesting to note that this article had no subtle dis for the diets. Usually there is an undercurrent of distain.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-18, 01:46

BF:

Quote:
Government healthy eating advice is useless - and Tom Watson's weight loss proves it

Joanna Blythman

What more graphic challenge could there be to government healthy eating advice than Tom Watson? Only a year ago the deputy Labour leader was seriously obese. He looked like a larger-than-life cartoon character next to lean Jeremy Corbyn. Now Watson is a new man. He has shed seven stones, and his type 2 diabetes is in remission; he no longer needs medication.

Watson’s slim-lining boils down to him ignoring government diet guidelines. They tell us to fill our plates with starchy foods, and avoid saturated fat.

Instead, Watson has embraced the principles of the Pioppi diet, which is not a fixed-term diet as such, more a way to eat for life.

Pioppi, brainchild of campaigning cardiologist Dr Aseem Malhotra, is simple. Abandon calorie counting. Fat isn’t the foe. Just cut out sugar, starchy carbs, and processed food. Of course, Pioppi doesn’t have a patent on these ideas; it simply encapsulates international, new-wave thinking about what constitutes a healthy diet. It’s an approach, which, as Watson has found, could be highly effective in ridding Britain of the scourge of obesity and related diseases.

We have so obviously come to the end of the road with the status quo ‘Eatwell plate’. It was designed by self-interested food processors, and the government’s so-called expert scientific advisors went along with it. This guidance patently doesn’t work. Thirty per cent of Britons are obese; a third of our children leave primary school overweight.

Yet year after year, all we hear from the agencies charged with dispensing nutrition advice is that despite their best efforts, this deadly state of affairs is getting worse. Cue another patronising, kindergarten pep talk on why we lazy citizens must try harder to eat as we are told.

But as Watson says, we must stop blaming individuals; the answer is not in their hands alone. Labour has pledged to halt the rise of diabetes and has called on experts, charities, patients and, tellingly, independent thinkers to inform its strategy. And I believe this bold new plan could work, as embodied by the new-look Tom Watson. Why? Labour appears to be prepared to shred the failed healthy eating orthodoxies that got us into this mess in the first place. That’s a brilliant, and very necessary, starting point.

https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/buying-.../571680.article
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-18, 08:04

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I hope politicization doesn't polarize people on this issue. One reason why I'm happy with the no politics rule on this forum, although like a lot of people here, sometimes I can't help myself and somebody has to remind me. This is too important to be just for people of this or that political persuasion, there's plenty of people on the forum with political views far from my own, in various different directions. who I'm quite fond of and glad have found a low carb approach that helps them.

Excellent point. It's a gross understatement to say that truthfulness and facts are not to be found in the list of the top 100 objectives of ANY political party.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-18, 09:24

BF:

#24   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-18, 09:55

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Actually, even by the misleading measure used by government, only one in five children were ‘obese’ when they left primary school in 2016/17.

From the article Demi just posted... I remember from personal experience sitting in classrooms where there was maybe one overweight kid. Once in a while two. This in classrooms with 25, maybe 30 kids. Twenty percent of kids leaving primary school obese is still a big increase. That's a high percentage for a general population, never mind just the kids.

I just started working at a Wendy's restaurant a few months ago. Also worked at a Wendy's in the late 80s/early 90s. People are just fatter.

Quote:
Instead, he thinks that ‘one of the key culprits for this enormous rise in obesity and diabetes is sugar and the sugar industry’. Yet it is not at all clear that we’re eating more sugar than in the past, so why are we fat now when we weren’t then?

Government is exaggerating how fat we've gotten. How fat we have gotten, since "sugar" intake hasn't gone up, is evidence that sugar didn't make us fat...

Of course this is nonsense. We are eating more "sugar" than in the 70s--as long as you use an honest definition of the word. The author is using "sugar" to mean sucrose. I'm using it to mean sugar, high fructose corn syrup, honey, agave syrup, maple syrup, "milk solids," etc. It's quite clear that we're (going beyond this forum) eating more sugar, lying liars who lie and the people who believe them say otherwise.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-18, 10:03

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 214/169/150 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 70%

My mother-in-law is an 84 year old retired RN and she doesn't use the term Type 2. She calls it diet-controlled diabetes as she always has. We should go back to that instead of making it sound like a medical diagnosis.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-18, 10:09

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:

Spiked online, as a general rule, takes a stance against the "nanny state". In so doing, at least in this article, they are making a mistake similar to the mistake made by vegans, conflating a moral/political/philosophical stance with a scientific stance. It is entirely possible to be against the nanny state, that is against the government telling us what to eat and what not to eat, and still adhere to scientific evidence that demonstrates the efficacy of low carb diets in reversing diabetes and reducing obesity. We should be able to choose what we eat and what we don't eat but it is always best to have the truth about the possible consequences of our choices before we make our decisions.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-18, 01:08

BF:

Tom Watson weight loss: Cut OUT refined sugar AND 'starchy carbs' for weight loss, MP says

TOM WATSON has released a video statement on World Obesity Day talking about how Britons can kick-start a healthy diet and it’s about more than just counting calories - we should be noting sugars and protein levels in food too.

https://www.express.co.uk/life-styl...son-weight-loss
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-18, 01:35

BF:

Quote:
Tom Watson MP on losing weight and lifting weights

A slimmer Tom Watson appears in Parliament and on TV screens after shedding more than seven stone (46kg), and has managed to reverse his Type-2 diabetes.

The Labour Party deputy leader and West Bromwich MP told Politics Live reporter Elizabeth Glinka why, and how, he lost the weight, and is encouraging others to do the same.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-po...lifting-weights
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-18, 04:21

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Good message on BBC, his sympathy for those who are overweight and don’t know where to start, his simple first steps, so might have been better to not film in a gym but he is such a good role model for low carb approach.
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-18, 07:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Good message on BBC, his sympathy for those who are overweight and don’t know where to start, his simple first steps, so might have been better to not film in a gym but he is such a good role model for low carb approach.

I found my perspectives changed when I discovered DANDR. My sympathy developed for others , Because I let go of the shame heaped on me for so many years.