Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Fri, Sep-11-15, 23:38

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Sorry, I really don't understand, how can anyone HATE cauliflower? It is totally innocuous. White in color, bland in flavor ... what is there to hate? Personally, I like it ... not because I like cauliflower, but because I like the bland background that cauliflower is. The Brits make somethig they call Cauliflower Cheese, which always sounded disgusting to me, until I realized it was just cauliflower with a cheese sauce. No substitute, IMO, for mac and chese, but really ... macaroni is a bland substrate for cheese sauce; cauliflower is a bland substrate for cheese sauce. The two substrates have their differances, but they serve the same purpose. Maybe my thoughts are skewed; I rather like the idea of cheese sauce ... pretty much over ANYTHING ... but DH isn't fond of cheese - that is to say, he hates it with a passion - so I don't get to follow my druthers very often. Making a lot of cheese sauce just to cover my serving of "whatever" doesn't usually seem like a good idea. Although I think that even under better circumstances I would still like Cauliflower Cheese.
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-15, 02:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/175/147 Female 5ft 5ins
BF:
Progress: 0%

Good call Nicekitty on the doughnuts!
Cauliflower to me does have quite a distinctive flavour and smell, particularly when cooking! I love it. Make a delicious easy soup with cauliflower, broccoli both frozen, some celery, an onion a bit of potato (I like some carbs) and a stock cube. Whizz it all together and then grate or cube some cheese on top.
  #153   ^
Old Sat, Sep-12-15, 21:49

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by esw
Cauliflower to me does have quite a distinctive flavour and smell, particularly when cooking! I love it. Make a delicious easy soup with cauliflower, broccoli both frozen, some celery, an onion a bit of potato (I like some carbs) and a stock cube. Whizz it all together and then grate or cube some cheese on top.

That sounds pretty good--I could eat cauliflower that way.

Motivated primarily by Nancy LC's avocado fast, I decided to make LC nachos today for lunch. Avocados were 4 for $5 at the store and perfect softness. The guacamole turned out great, though husband wanted more salt.

But my attempt to make LC tortilla chips turned out dreadful!! I bought a brand of LC tortillas (whole wheat) that I've used a lot and like. Pulled out three, buttered both sides, cut them into wedges with a pizza cutter and baked them on a pan. Really awful, texture and taste of cardboard! I could not eat them, too hard to chew. So I ended up digging out a bag of corn tortilla chips out of the pantry and used a few of those.

Back to the drawing board for LC chips...
  #154   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-15, 09:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

I like the idea (but haven't yet tried it) of putting piles of shredded cheese on a cookie sheet, and letting melt into puddles. Let the puddles melt, and you have carb free crisps.

May or may not hold the guac. But last winter, in MX, I just ate pure guac while Husband ate the chips. Went into guacamole withdrawal when we got home--there were avocados, in some form or another, at every meal.
  #155   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-15, 11:01
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by esw

Nice idea for and easy soup.

I make a yummy cauliflower/leek soup.
I roast the veggies first which I thinks brings up the flavors. Added to them are smashed garlic cloves, sea salt and evoo with Garam masala sprinkled on top. While its roasting, set up the stock pot with water and broth, 1 quart each and 1/2 cup grated parmesan. After roasting, all goes into stock pot and simmer for about 1 hour. Then it gets whizzed and is
  #156   ^
Old Mon, Sep-14-15, 07:20

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

I love cauliflower and eat it often, but I don't really like it with cheese sauce on it, so I don't know how I would like the Cauliflower Mac and Cheese. Maybe since it contains so many other ingredients I would like it better. I know DH wouldn't eat it. He wants his Mac and Cheese to contain Mac. LOL

I'm weird about cheese. I don't like cheese sauce on things, I don't like cheese on a sandwich except a grilled cheese. I can easily eat cheese by itself, like cubes of cheese put out as an appetizer at a party. It seems as though cheese sauce takes away from the taste of what I'm eating it on.

I also have never made cauliflower soup from scratch. One time I made it with a packet I bought in the produce department, that you just added cauliflower and water. It probably also contained some things I don't want to be eating now.

NiceKitty, I love avacados, but burn out on them quickly. I find if I buy one every 3 or 4 days I'm good. I buy them hard, then when each one gets soft enough to eat I buy another one.

Here's an idea I tried. Cut the avacado in half and remove the pit. Leaving the skin on, cut it in slices from the larger center part of the avacado. Brown it in a frying pan with a bit of butter. Turn it over, then quickly break an egg into the hole. The whites will run over the avacado, but the yolk stays in the middle. Cook it til the egg is cooked to your preference. This is delicious! I put a lid on mine to get the egg to cook firmer.

Last edited by PaCarolSue : Mon, Sep-14-15 at 08:34.
  #157   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 01:03

BF:

Not that used to Avocados here. Buy one occasionally but I don't enjoy it enough to make it a regular occurrence.

Because I'm not very low carb I'm thinking about trying some more new recipes and being a bit more adventorous for family meals. Biggest problem with that is finding a combination of ingredients I enjoy without making it too moreish!!!! In fact you could almost change the name moreish to "carby" because now that I think about everything that seems moreish to me, it is actually carby ! Those dreaded food combinations that try to control us!! You know how you have a gut feeling when you think about a food (salivating, perspiring etc) well if the thought of it produces those responses then I know I should avoid it. Mmmmh writing something down can be a revelation!!

Now what can I cook that is satisfying but isn't moreish/carby.
  #158   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-15, 11:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Soup made with homemade chicken broth, lots of chicken, green veggies and just a little tomato (like a small can of diced), along with chopped kale and wonderful spices and herbs.

Right before serving, drape a couple slices of Swiss or Gouda cheese on top and pop in the microwave. You can even cheat, and use broth from the store. Just DON'T get the fat free stuff.
  #159   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-15, 08:45

Esw, I had never had avacados until my step-daughter started raving about them, so I tried them. I still wasn't sold on them, but always tried some when I saw guacomole at parties and get-togethers, then started buying them myself.

One thing I will say, if you aren't crazy about them, then don't eat them just because someone else says they are healthy. There are other things out there that contain the same healthy fat, and there's bound to be something you like. Everything you eat should be something you like!!

My list of foods I don't like is very short, but when I find something I don't like, I'm happy to add it to the list and avoid it.

MikiSue, I don't make soup very often because although DH likes it, he will only eat it as a snack, not a meal, so then I end up with too much soup, and I still have to prepare dinner. I always add a can of diced tomato to my chicken soup, juice and all! That was a tip from my MIL. Now that the temps are cooling down I will be making more soup.
  #160   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-15, 12:56

Well, MickiSue, thanks to you, I now have a pot of chicken soup on the stove! I got so hungry for it after you mentioned it. It won't be low carb with noodles, but I will eat more of the broth and chicken. DH likes lots of noodles.
  #161   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-15, 18:11
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by esw
Not that used to Avocados here. Buy one occasionally but I don't enjoy it enough to make it a regular occurrence.

Because I'm not very low carb I'm thinking about trying some more new recipes and being a bit more adventorous for family meals. Biggest problem with that is finding a combination of ingredients I enjoy without making it too moreish!!!! In fact you could almost change the name moreish to "carby" because now that I think about everything that seems moreish to me, it is actually carby ! Those dreaded food combinations that try to control us!! You know how you have a gut feeling when you think about a food (salivating, perspiring etc) well if the thought of it produces those responses then I know I should avoid it. Mmmmh writing something down can be a revelation!!

Now what can I cook that is satisfying but isn't moreish/carby.

You are going to have to get over this fear! Seriously!
I made chili this weekend. I had some of the ingredients for it and needed a few others. I had onion, red bell pepper, 2 zucchinis, canned crushed tomato and diced tomatoes, garlic and spices. I needed grd meat and got 1.5 lbs of lamb and 2 jalapeno and 1 habanero peppers.
When it was all done, it was delish and not very carby at all. IMO, veggies carbs like this should not be a 'carby' issue.
  #162   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-15, 19:57

BF:

OMG--there are so many great foods we can eat, with a bit higher carb limit! Where to even begin! I just take something that sounds good (more-ish), and try to figure out how to de-carb it. Usually (but not always) it is quite successful.

Another post also got me thinking about making low-carb chili, with some really good quality beef (not hamburger). Tonight we are having Carne asada--using low-carb tortillas, leftover guacomole, sour cream etc..really nice skirt steak marinated in a home-made marinade that is killer. Later this week we will have wild salmon with a lot of a buttery sauce (maybe try a mustard sauce?) and green beans.

Give me something evily more-ish and I'll try and de-carb it for you. (No, not a baguette!) I find it rather fun to do.
  #163   ^
Old Mon, Sep-21-15, 04:34

BF:

I am getting more adventorous Judy

However my fear of food is actually quite helpful. Having had an eating disorder for many years I really don't wish to give it back any power. I found part of this quote you gave someone who was struggling:

Quote:
The next thing you need to do is stop declaring war on your body. Instead, slow down and breathe. Ask yourself what does my body really want to nourish it? And then when eating start to ask yourself questions such as, "How does my food actually taste?" "Is my body really still physically hungry?" The key is to start to tune into what it is your body and mind really want. Often times excess weight is a result of a disconnection from yourself. Many people don't even realize that they are disconnecting to begin with! Use this very moment to be a doorway for yourself to walk through... to greater understanding, clarity, and enlightenment that your body is on your side. You two are on the same team and it's time to get into a beautiful, synchronized dance with one another. The moment you decide to start and then you take ACTION, that is the moment that your transformation begins... and only YOU can decide when that is going to happen.

That makes so much sense and I thought worth sharing again.
  #164   ^
Old Mon, Sep-21-15, 07:53
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by esw
I am getting more adventorous Judy

However my fear of food is actually quite helpful. Having had an eating disorder for many years I really don't wish to give it back any power. I found part of this quote you gave someone who was struggling:

on being adventurous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esw
That makes so much sense and I thought worth sharing again.

Great quote and thanks for sharing.

OK, now please do tell us what you consider to be 'moreish' aka carby. I really want to know.
  #165   ^
Old Sat, Oct-03-15, 20:21

BF:

Where did everyone go? I've got a bit of a confession--I eat pizza! Feeling a bit guilty about that after reading the recent post by a new Low carber, and I certainly don't want to derail her. But I also LOVE pizza, and about once a week we get a Papa Murphys delite (thin crust) pizza, and I have a couple of slices for dinner, with a salad. Can't recall how many carbs, but it's not outrageous, and hasn't completely derailed me yet.

Maybe I'm kind of an outlier as my job is so physically active, and I've never been really overweight. But I just can't see depriving myself of pizza forever, if I keep it within reason. I certainly don't think I'll ever be going to Costco and getting those huge carbfest slices ever again (like I used to do quite often)! Am I crazy to include pizza in my diet? If someone had a low-carb (thin) crust, I'd be all over that.