Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Plan comparison
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, May-21-09, 16:06

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

One place on the web you could go to to find info about the cholesterol myth is "Second Opinions" by Barry Groves. He'll give you some basic info which you won't even have to pay for.

That's where I got started on my low-carb journey and I haven't looked back for a minute. And haven't you also been to "coconut.org" by Bruce Fife? Surely he has exploded the sat-fat-is-bad myth for you???

Cholesterol is NOT a bad thing!!! It is manufactured in the body by the liver and we NEED IT!!! The history of the cholesterol myth is pretty scary and too long to go into in a midnight post, but, believe me, it IS A MYTH!!!

Our brains are mostly made of fat; our hearts prefer fat as fuel; people with low cholesterol get depressed or develop Parkinson's disease, commit suicide, crimes or die early. Low cholesterol is not a good thing to have!!! These are just some snippets to let you know that low-fat is a recipe for bad health, not good health. We need fat to function normally!!!

Read some more about this before you panic!

amanda
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, May-21-09, 16:13
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
"Good Calories, Bad Calories" is mostly about how these two hypotheses came about and what evidence exists to support them. While I agree with Fallon and Enig on most things, their writing style and facility with the facts tends towards the fanatical. Taubes is much more level-headed and scientific about the subject.
I agree with Mike. Before you get stressed out about the cholesterol issue, pick up this book and read it.
It will change your mind about a lot of things.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, May-21-09, 16:49

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
The one thing that I would want on a deserted island would be a coconut tree.

No kidding!!!!

And Cpt Mike is right. Stop stressing the cholesterol. LOWER cholesterol levels are associated with HIGHER mortality. Here is an interesting blog reporting about men who have had heart attacks. The ones with the lowest cholesterol level had a higher chance of dying....
http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot....k-survival.html

Here is a great article about cholesterol by Ron Rosedale, MD...
http://www.loveforlife.com.au/node/2103
  #19   ^
Old Thu, May-21-09, 17:08

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 265/205/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 46%

I use coconut oil, coconut milk powder, and flaked unsweetened coconut meat. They've cleared up my ringworm and nail fungus, softened my skin are now working on smoothing out my digestion. You're going to have to make your own decision about whether coconut oil would be a good addition to your weight-loss plan. I hope you keep your mind open.

Meg
  #20   ^
Old Fri, May-22-09, 06:49

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 220/179.6/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Thanks everyone. I tend to stress after seeing my doctor. She puts such an emphasis on cholesterol and it always makes me second guess myself. I have read a lot about it and that's why I would never take the meds prescribed for high cholesterol. I do agree with your advice and plan to dropping my cholesterol worries. Also as mentioned previously I loved the energy and other benefits I got from eating coconut and higher fat. My body was telling me it was the right thing but my mind got side tracked. I will give it another try. Also I will look into the Optimal Diet. It sounds promising.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, May-22-09, 12:19

BF:
Default Oil Pulling

Hi Abby3,

This is a little bit off-topic, but if you have time to answer me, or point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful1

You wrote in one of your posts:

Quote:
I read about oil pulling on the net and decided to try it. I did it for about two weeks and had great results. My gums got healthier and teeth whiter every day, my sinuses drained and the mild pain that I've had for years in my right ear causing dizziness cleared up.

I would be interested to read more about this, too! I tried "gargling" with coconut oil this morning because I had toothache and - whaddya know? - it went away again!!! I really don't know whether it would have gone away by itself anyway, but the VCO certainly didn't seem to do any harm. I have gum problems, too, and my dentist wants me to have some nasty-sounding (but profitable for him as he can charge more for me as I'm privately insured...) treatment.

I also have had dizziness and pain in my right ear lately, and also have a blocked sinus on the right-hand side of my nose so this sounds very interesting! Could you post the link to where you got the info from, please?

When I tried it this morning, I only managed to do the swishing around of the oil for about five minutes, but I think you're supposed to do it longer??? But I seem to get a lot of saliva accumulating and feel like my mouth is going to explode. I would be interested to read something about the actual technique you're supposed to use.

If you want to post it in my journal, just click on the journal button at the bottom of this post and you'll get into my journal, OK?

Many thanks in advance,

amanda
  #22   ^
Old Sat, May-23-09, 08:36

BF:

Amanda,

I accidently came across a site called Earth Clinic while looking for natural cures. They have loads of testimonals about all kinds of natural cures. That's where I first heard about oil pulling. Also you can just google it and get directions how to do it. Some sites say to use sesame and sunflower oil and others mention EVCO. At first, I tried the sesame oil but hated the taste so I switched to EVCO. They both worked for me - in fact the CO was working too well. I had to take a week off to slow the detoxing effect. They recommend finding a schedule that works for you - some posts recommend four days on and four days off. My husband is a real skeptic about everything but I got him to try the oil pulling and he is now on the 4-4 day schedule. There is one concern with this and that involves mercury fillings. Some people say it loosens them and some say they have even come out. This is not an issue for me because all of mine are replaced.

I really like the site but some of the cures seem pretty complicated and possibly dangerous so I am sticking to the ones that I know can't hurt me. Yesterday I tried baking soda as a deoderant and to my surprise it actually works.

Let me know what you think.
Abby
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jun-01-09, 03:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby3
Amanda,

I accidently came across a site called Earth Clinic while looking for natural cures. They have loads of testimonals about all kinds of natural cures. That's where I first heard about oil pulling. Also you can just google it and get directions how to do it. Some sites say to use sesame and sunflower oil and others mention EVCO. At first, I tried the sesame oil but hated the taste so I switched to EVCO. They both worked for me - in fact the CO was working too well. I had to take a week off to slow the detoxing effect. They recommend finding a schedule that works for you - some posts recommend four days on and four days off. My husband is a real skeptic about everything but I got him to try the oil pulling and he is now on the 4-4 day schedule. There is one concern with this and that involves mercury fillings. Some people say it loosens them and some say they have even come out. This is not an issue for me because all of mine are replaced.

Let me know what you think.
Abby

Hi Abby,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me about oil-pulling. I shall look at the site you mentioned (I think I've used it before, actually) and see what they say. Recently, I have used VCO to combat toothache and a sore throat - just slowly swallowing it for the sore throat, which really helped, and gargling and then spitting the stuff out for the toothache. I can't believe it can work for so many things, but it does for me: maybe I am such a sucker that the placebo effect is at work here, but, what the heck, even if it is just a placebo effect, I'm not complaining if it works!!!

I am sorry I didn't get back to you earlier but I was away for five days and then, when we came back, I had a lot of gardening projects that needed my attention so I only spent a minimum of time at my PC.

Take care!

How are you doing in general? Why don't you open a journal so I can pop in and "see you" there? It's a great way to keep yourself on track, too.

amanda
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jun-02-09, 08:13

BF:

amanda,

I was thinking about opening a journal. I will probably do it next week when I'm off work. I've been kinda bouncing all over the place lately trying to decide what diet to do. I've been on Atkins for almost six years with some ups and downs. After my initial big weight loss of 50 lbs. things slowed to almost a standstill. So now I've been looking for another direction. I just read the cheat to lose diet and started it this week. For the last three weeks, I've been having a cheat day every weekend anyway, so if I can work it into a diet all the better. I'm also going to up my water intake and exercise which I've been slacking on. I'll start posting my progress in a journal next week.

About the oil pulling, most sites suggest sesame or sunflower oil but some people use coconut oil and other oils. I guess you have to experiment to see what works for you. Supposedly it only takes a few days to cure a sore throat or toothache. Hope it works for you. Good luck.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jun-03-09, 04:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby3
amanda,

Quote:
I was thinking about opening a journal. I will probably do it next week when I'm off work. I've been kinda bouncing all over the place lately trying to decide what diet to do. I've been on Atkins for almost six years with some ups and downs. After my initial big weight loss of 50 lbs. things slowed to almost a standstill. So now I've been looking for another direction. I just read the cheat to lose diet and started it this week. For the last three weeks, I've been having a cheat day every weekend anyway, so if I can work it into a diet all the better. I'm also going to up my water intake and exercise which I've been slacking on. I'll start posting my progress in a journal next week.

Great idea! Look forward to popping in to say hello!

About the oil pulling, most sites suggest sesame or sunflower oil but some people use coconut oil and other oils. I guess you have to experiment to see what works for you. Supposedly it only takes a few days to cure a sore throat or toothache. Hope it works for you. Good luck.

I've tried it for toothache and it did work! My ears were all blocked today and after 15 mins oil-pulling, they felt a lot better.

amanda
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Jun-03-09, 09:04

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Really? My ears get blocked all the time. And you can clear them out by swishing oil around in your mouth?

I haven't read any official oil-pulling stuff. Is there a brief set of instructions somewhere without a lot of testimonials/promotion, etc?
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jun-04-09, 04:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
Really? My ears get blocked all the time. And you can clear them out by swishing oil around in your mouth?

I haven't read any official oil-pulling stuff. Is there a brief set of instructions somewhere without a lot of testimonials/promotion, etc?

I can give you instructions:

1) Put a teaspoon/dessertspoon (depending on size of spoon!) of your oil of choice (olive oil, sunflower oil, sesame oil and coconut oil are popular choices) and put it in mouth. Swish this around in your mouth, press it between your teeth etc, for as long as you can. You will notice that your cheeks will start to swell as your naturally produced saliva is added to the mix. If your cheeks are about to pop, then spit a litte bit out into a bowl and carry on swishing. If you can't take any more after ten minutes, spit the lot out (coconut oil shouldn't go down the sink as it will harden, but I guess you could spit the olive oil down the sink). Take another teaspoon of oil and swish for another ten minutes. 15-20 minutes is recommended.
DO NOT SWALLOW THE OIL!!! After all this swishing, the oil has "pulled" out various toxins from your mouth, teeth and gums, bacteria have started growing in the mix, and hence it is pretty poisonous - so they say - so you spit the whole lot out, rinse a couple of times and brush your teeth.

I did this yesterday for 15 minutes and my ears, which were really blocked with mucous and pressure, felt a lot better afterwards. Today I don't have the same ultra-blocked feeling and did it again, but today I haven't had the same kind of relief. But your teeth do feel ultra clean afterwards!

I felt really peculiar yesterday with sinus problems and mucous running down the back of my throat, blocked ears, dizziness, that I was willing to try anything!!! As I say, it helped a lot and I don't have the same nasty mucous problem today or any dizziness.

However, the blocked-ear feeling hasn't gone away completely. Nonetheless, I am going to stick with it as I have gum problems too and amalgam fillings in three teeth. The oil pulling apparently also works as a mercury chelator, too. My dentist proposed a nasty-sounding treatment lately for my gum problems and I don't want to have it done (he makes more money off me as I'm privately insured and the treatment would involve a lot of pain and measurements being taken - for his benefit, not mine) plus he wants to put a slow-release antibiotic tablet under a tooth, which would be giving off antibiotics for about 6-8weeks!!! No sirree!!! I have therefore decided to give this oil-pulling a try to see if it helps with my recurrent sinus problems and gums. I figure it can't do any harm, whereas what the dentist wants to do sounds painful, expensive and harmful!!!

Good luck and keep me posted about whether you try it and what results you get!

amanda
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jun-04-09, 06:39

BF:

Just to add to what Amanda said, you have to use extra virgin or cold expeller pressed oils. Do not use just any oil. Also most cites say to do it for 15-20 minutes if you can. I just started again with unrefined sesame oil. This is not just a one time thing although people notice a difference on the first day. I did it for two weeks and started to feel bad and quit. After doing more reading, feeling bad is a sign that the oil is working and getting rid of the problem. I just started again two days ago and this time I will continue through the feeling bad until I feel good again. They say some conditions can take up to a year to cure but for many sinus and tooth problems seem to clear up in a few days. I had a clogged ear too and that is gone.

Best of luck, Abby
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Jun-06-09, 08:56

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

I'm starting to get dubious of this "feeling bad is a sign that it's working" philosophy. I know when you have an addiction, you have to get through withdrawal, but when it takes more than two weeks, I think it's not just withdrawal.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Jun-06-09, 14:42

BF:

Capmikee,

You might be right but you'll never know until you try it -- it might just make you feel great (at least your sinuses and gums). It's seems pretty noninvasive to me. It is a detoxing method though and I think I was detoxing too fast for my system. This will effect everyone differently. After more reading, I realized I needed to slow down and not do it everyday. Like with diets, we all have to fine what works for us. Best wishes.