Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 17:36

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%
Default Re: Deep Dish Pizza Quiche

Okay, I have to ask. So, please forgive me. What kind of taste does cream cheese give to this? It sort of sounds gross. But, I am going to try it.

The only way I have ever eaten and liked cream cheese was in a cheese cake
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 18:03
Wombat Ashramite

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi Rick,

Trust me on this one: make this recipe! It really does taste exactly like the real thing. I was skeptical too and thought it would turn out like quiche, but the cream cheese adds body to the egg mixture and makes the texture wonderful.

This tastes like pizza, you will not taste the cream cheese at all. I promise you can come over to my journal and yell at me if it's not true

Happy munching!

Dig
  #138   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 20:21

I will have to try it then Thanks
  #139   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 12:47

Plan: Common Sense
Stats: 188/154.6/170 Male 67 inches
BF:?/12/10
Progress: 186%
Default Deep Dish Pizza Quiche - How to Prepare?

I've seen the recipe Donald posted and I've always just thought to myself, yeah right.. I was a pizza connoissuer before this wol and just assumed it would never taste like real pizza. Well, I've decided to give it a shot and see what happens.

There's only one problem. I can't cook to save my life! So i've got a list of a few questions and I would be very grateful for some help.

Here's the famous recipe I'll be following.

Quote:
DEEP DISH PIZZA QUICHE

4 oz softened cream cheese
4 eggs
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
1 tbs chives
1/2 tsp Italian or pizza seasoning
2 cups shredded cheese (I use mozzarella /cheddar mix)
1/2 tsp wet garlic or 1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup lowest carb tomato or pizza sauce
1 cup mozzarella cheese
Toppings to taste (I use pepperoni, sausage, onion, green pepper, mushrooms, whatever!)

Beat together cream cheese and eggs till smooth.
Add cream, parmesean cheese and spices
Spray 13x9 glass baking dish with oil
Put 2 cups of shredded cheese in dish and pour egg mixt. over Bake at 375 for 30 minutes
Spread with sauce and then add your toppings
Cover with mozzarella cheese
Bake till browning and bubbly
Let stand for 5 minutes or so.

Ok, so first of all, I need a pan to put all this in. I read that a lot of people use 9x13 glass pyrex pans, so I'll pick one of those up tonight.

Now.. beating the eggs and cream cheese.. I can do this with a bowl and spoon right? I don't have an electric mixer or anything.

Add the cream, parmesean cheese and spices. I have the kraft parmesan cheese that comes in the green tubes that you use to put on top of pizza. Does this count as grated?

Put 2 cups of shredded cheese in dish and pour egg mixt. over Now, I read about people using pepperonni to use a the base. I bought the little slices of pepperonni like youd see on a mini pizza. Is that the right size slice of pepperonni, or should I buy bigger slices, like bolonga sized?

Concerning the cheeses I normally but the Kraft shredded cheeses that are in those re-sealable bags, will that work for shredded cheeses?

Softened Cream Cheese - Is this regular cream cheese or will it be labeled softened?

Tomato Sauce I really do not like pizza's with sweet tomato sauce, any suggestions on brand names? What do you normally use?

Italian sausage as a topping I'd like to use italian sausage as a topping, can I just pick up an italian sausage and dice it up, or do I need to cook the sausage first?

Final Question Is garlic salt, the same as garlic powder?

Ok, that's it. Thanks in advance for any answers, I know thats a lot of questions!!!

Last edited by Brandon : Tue, Jun-10-03 at 12:49.
  #140   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 14:08

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/205/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

beating the eggs and cream cheese .. . yes, beat it until it is mixed well together

Add the cream, parmesean cheese and spices that cheese should work fine, but you might enjoy the other next time you make it.

I bought the little slices of pepperonni like youd see on a mini pizza. It will work

I normally but the Kraft shredded cheeses that are in those re-sealable bags, will that work for shredded cheeses? yep, that'll work

Softened Cream Cheese - Is this regular cream cheese or will it be labeled softened? It will be your regular cream cheese, you can set it out for a while and let it soften or place in the microwave for 30 seconds on medium setting to soften. Letting it be closer to room temperature will make it easier to work with (softer).

Tomato Sauce I really do not like pizza's with sweet tomato sauce, any suggestions on brand names? What do you normally use? You can find tomato sauces or even pizza sauces with little sugar (there is sugar in tomatoes), but look for one without added sugar, you might look for Hunts, I think they make a stewed type of tomato with onion and garlic in it -- that'd be good. I use just canned tomatoes and add garlic and onion and other stuff to it.

Italian sausage as a topping I'd like to use italian sausage as a topping, can I just pick up an italian sausage and dice it up, or do I need to cook the sausage first? I think I'd cook it first, kind of scramble it and let it brown and drain off the excess fat. Then you could sprinkle it over the pizza.

Final Question Is garlic salt, the same as garlic powder? No, garlic salt has salt in it, so if you use it you would want to cut down on any other salt. You might look for the jars of garlic, or buy some cloves of garlic -- I use the jars and I really like it -- you can find chunks or minced, I usually buy the minced it is a finer cut.

Hope this helps and enjoy that pizza!
  #141   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 14:12

Thank you!!!
  #142   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 14:51

I am becoming more and more convinced to try this tonight. Can anyone tell me how many servings it makes and about how big a service slice is?

My wife is asking
  #143   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 15:02

Hey there Rick! Looks like that makes two of us.. going to give it a shot tonight! I'm going with pepperoni and sausage.. Guess we'll see how that works out. Good luck with yours!!
  #144   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 15:33

Stats: 239/208/135 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:don't go there!!!
Progress: 30%

RickinTN

This was posted back on pg 9 of this post

quoted per DW Rolfe(original post of recipe)
I think the counts are based on cutting the 13 x 9'er into 6 pieces, which is what I ordinarilly do. However, if I'm going to have this for dinner rather than lunch, I'll sometimes cut it into 4 larger pieces.

And of course, those counts will always vary, depending on your toppings.
  #145   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 15:47
Wombat Ashramite

Stats: 00/00/00 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

It really does depend on the toppings. I find that my husband and I can polish off most of a pepperoni version, but if we add Italian Sausage then we can only eat half.

I recommend adding more meat, because you will want this for breakfast in the morning and you'll be more likely to end up with leftovers if there are plenty of toppings.

Stop back tomorrow and tell us how you liked it.

Dig
  #146   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 16:05

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%
Default Personally

I find beating works better with a fork. Good luck. I haven't tried this yet as my family is major into pizza, and aren't ready to try it.
  #147   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 16:07

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Just curious, Donald.. you didn't "create" this recipe yourself, did you? It's listed under Reader's Low Carb Recipes above and even the poster there indicated it wasn't "her" recipe. I know it's all over the net, too.
  #148   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 17:58

Thanks, I'll give that fork a shot

Quick couple of questions, can I prepare the "base" and stick it in the fridge to be used a couple of hours later?

Also for those who used pepperoni as the base, does it need to microwaved, or will it become crunchy when baked? My microwave is packed up since I'm moving.

Last edited by Brandon : Tue, Jun-10-03 at 18:03.
  #149   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 18:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/180/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Brandon , go to Wal Mart and buy and electric mixer for 20.00 or less probably in the U.S. , it will save you a lot of work in the long run!!! Just my suggestion.
  #150   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 18:41

Quote:
Originally posted by wils
Brandon , go to Wal Mart and buy and electric mixer for 20.00 or less probably in the U.S. , it will save you a lot of work in the long run!!! Just my suggestion.

Wow, you weren't kidding. after about 5 minutes of trying to do that by hand I said screw it and put the egg and cream cheese in a blender.