Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: How many times, counting this one, have you been on an LC diet?
never have and am not now 0 0%
1 21 15.00%
2 25 17.86%
3 33 23.57%
4 or more 61 43.57%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

#46   ^
Old Mon, May-14-12, 07:17

Plan: Atkins (formerly SB)
Stats: 298.8/263.8/175 Female 69 inches
BF:yup. still there.
Progress: 28%

2nd time for me. Started in July 2007, lost right around 85 pounds in 12 months... but then I met my husband, and we went out to eat too much, etc and so on, and I gained it all (plus a bit) back. We've both been back to LC since the week before the Super Bowl this year - I'm down 30 and he's down 20+ (I can't remember his exact starting weight...). It feels good to be doing so well again.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, May-14-12, 13:33
Registered Member

Plan: New Atkins New You
Stats: 221.6/212.5/130 Female 62 inches
BF:41% / 39% / 24%
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDogg
For me, this is my second try, though the first one was a 3-week aborted attempt about 10 years ago.

Haha, that's *exactly* what I did. Tried to half-heartedly do it without learning about any plans, became miserable after maybe a week, and quit, so I don't normally count that as a real "try."
  #48   ^
Old Mon, May-14-12, 18:52

Plan: Low carb, high fat keto
Stats: 310/212/183 Male 6'0"
BF:D
Progress: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFemur
Haha, that's *exactly* what I did. Tried to half-heartedly do it without learning about any plans, became miserable after maybe a week, and quit, so I don't normally count that as a real "try."

I was making a go of it but got distracted when 9/11 happened. I don't think, though, that it would have worked out much differently, though, in the long run. I did not have the right mental approach, and I did not really know what I was doing.
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Aug-16-20, 19:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins NDR (2002)
Stats: 270.2/236/165 Female 5ft
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hope it's okay to bump old threads - I thought this one was not only interesting, but a helpful reminder that a huge number of people had to try the Low Carb WOE a few times, before they got their head in the right place to be able to commit to it successfully. It's also good to see that those who have made goal weight and are seen as successful on these boards, still have to engage in a wee battle with their inner demons every once in a while. We're only human after all.
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-20, 12:24

Plan: Keto, gluten/nut-free
Stats: 245.8/179/149 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Second time for me, started in 2012, lost 92 lbs! Fell off the wagon for a variety of excuses and health issues. Started back on May 25th, and have already lost 36.6 lbs!
  #51   ^
Old Sun, Sep-13-20, 14:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%
Cool

I did several versions of low carb periodically in my late teens (back in the '70s) but just for a quick 10 lb weight loss to look better. In classic fashion, I went back to eating anything and everything and gained it all back.

I didn't try low carb again, let alone seriously, until my 50s. I did Atkins '72 for a month and failed. It was not sustainable for me the way (I thought) it was written.

I finally bought and read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution (2002). The fact that I could eat my fill of vegetables and some melon, berries, nuts and dairy in addition to big salads early on appealed to me. I said, "I can do this!" And so I did ... here I am, three and a half years and -45 lb later.

Last edited by barb712 : Sun, Sep-13-20 at 15:27.
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Oct-26-20, 11:02
Registered Member

Plan: IF/Atkins/Anchell
Stats: 225/225/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I know this as an old thread, heck I bet the first time I did this WOE was back in 2007/8 or so and lost 65#. I went off for some reason and gained back 30 of those 65. Since then I have been on again off again the rest of the time, gaining and losing the same 10#. After almost 2 years of not being on plan and gaining the rest of the 65 back plus about 10# I am back. I would really like to lose it again and keep it off this time, I am determined! Been back since 10-13-202 so not long, but we all know how quickly a year goes by. (trying from birthday to birthday as a goal)
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Oct-26-20, 11:19

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I've never had any real trouble staying low carb. Done experiments with carb refeed sort of stuff that didn't really go that well, but not doing carb refeeds was already my default by then. Early on I had some electrolyte issues, so I sort of backed off and started eating carbs again for a bit before getting back into low carb, but I think that was more a matter of adaptation to the diet change than anything else.
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Oct-26-20, 11:24

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 215/197.2/195 Male 73.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

3rd time. All have been successful, with success being defined as meeting my weight loss goals, including my current effort. The 1st time was some 10 or 12 years ago when I first starting noticing I was putting on pounds. My 2nd go was late 2017 into 2018 (this one was the most significant, as I dropped around 40 lbs), and my 3rd began on July 21, 2020 when my son left the nest.

I would like to find a balance, but I suspect my low carb efforts will continue to have defined starting points and and hazy ending points.

Last edited by Sniggle : Mon, Oct-26-20 at 11:56.
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-20, 13:40
Memere to 4

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/199/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:Too much
Progress: 36%

I think I am 5 times. I could just check my journal because I would have posted at least once every time. The only time I lost significantly was i believe first time (losing 40 to 45 lbs.) 2005. My first time in this forum. Every other time I just never got serious enough to do this.

But this time, coming back from cancer, I know what I have to do. And dammit I am going to do it. My husband is right along with me so it is that much easier. 1 week in.