Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 05:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/178/135 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default induction breakfast ideas please?

Hello everyone,

I am on day 2 of Atkins induction and am wondering what you all have found to add some variety to your morning meals during this time? I do like eggs but just don't think I can eat them everyday without getting really sick of them.

This being my first workday on the program also has me a little concerned about being able to resist the snack machines and I've seen some posts on this board about carb withdrawal symptoms that I really hope not to experience. Is there anything a person can do to head those off?

I have a million other questions, but I'll leave you with those two for now.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 06:31

Plan: Fuhrmann
Stats: 248/229.5/170 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 24%

1. A can of tuna (or any diced, cooked meat, or shredded cheese or chopped boiled eggs) on a big salad, with lots of unrefined oil (flax, hemp or olive).
or
Mix 2 eggs, 1 oz shredded cheese and last night's leftover meat, pepper and some diced veggies. Fry 'em in butter to make a scrambled omelet

2. Go two weeks faithfully on Atkins Induction. On your 11th work day buy some rubbish from the snack machine. Bite into it, taste it and spit it out, and say loudly, "EWWWW!" A couple of weeks eating real food will give you the ability to distinguish between what should go in your mouth and what should not.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 07:57
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I eat anything for breakfast cold leftover chicken or salmon, mock danish that I tried a couple of days ago for the first time is amazing. I love eggs and make them a hundred different ways... stuffed, quiche etc.

check out the recipe section of this board they have a ton of different options there.

good luck.

BTW I had withdrawls for about 3 days it was tough but I got over it and now I can look at sugar and cakes and other junk and even smell it and be around it and just flat out not want it, it just doesnt bother me really and that accomplishment is one of the greatest feelings in the world. To know that I am in control.

MJ
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 08:49
Brown-Eyed Girl

Stats: 260/153/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 102%

I found this recipe for Breakfast Casserole somewhere on this site. It's great. I usually make it up on Sunday Night and then warm it up throughout the week. It's fast, quick and easy.

Breakfast Casserole.
1/2 # sausage, browned and drained/4 cup chopped onion 5 slices bacon, cooked crisp and cooled so you can break it up 4 mushrooms sliced or 'chunked' 2-3 cups shredded cheddar cheese 8 eggs, beaten 1/2 cup cream 1/2 tsp garlic powder salt and pepper to taste Mix sausage, onion, bacon & mushrooms together and placed in bottom of a glass casserole dish. Spread cheese over top of mixture. Mix eggs, cream, garlic powder, salt & pepper well. Pour evenly over the casserole, making sure its evenly distributed. Place in 325 oven for 45-50 minutes (time varies by the container and your oven) All sorts of possibilities for experimentation here -- ham, peppers, different kinds of cheese, ect ect ect.....
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 10:52

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

When planning what to have for breakfast, keep in mind that you can eat anything that you would eat at other meals. It can be a little weird at first to try a salad or meat/cheese/lettuce roll ups for breakfast, but that's only because so many of us think of breakfast as toast and cereal or eggs etc.

There is also a section of breakfast recipes suitable for Induction here.

As for those urges to raid the vending machine...BE STRONG & RESIST! Tell yourself that you are worth a 2 week Induction period. It is, afterall, only 2 weeks. You can do that. And when you have, your desire for the things in that machine will be greatly diminished. Promise.

Good luck.

Donald

Last edited by DWRolfe : Mon, Nov-10-03 at 11:11.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 10:56
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Gigihr! Congratulations on starting your new WOE. Withdrawal can be tough. One of the best things to do is drink plenty of water and cut a wide path around the snack machines. Tell yourself that you want to be healthy more than than you want to eat any of that stuff. Health is forever and what you get from that stuff is momentary. You're in it for the long haul!

Here's a couple of threads to help you out:

Breakfast Recipes Suitable for Atkins Induction

advice on lunch/snacks at work

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 21:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 143/137/115 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 21%

here are some quick things that I have been eating:
smoked salmon rolled up with cream cheese (can also be prepared the night before to grab quick)
cook eggs on top og sausage in a muffin tin...stay good for about a week in the refrig. and are really yummy.
hard boiled eggs
celery sticks with cream cheese and cinnamon
if you think about it, you can come up with a lot.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 23:37

Stats: 198/194/150 Female 70 inches
BF:?/34%/25%
Progress: 8%

I personally hate eggs just he smell of them makes me sick.
I have the premixed shakes and bars from atkins.
make sure you get the premixed ones cause the powder is horrible.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 01:02
Registered Member

Stats: 270/258/125 Female 61 inches
BF:Way/too/much
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by petcrazed
make sure you get the premixed ones cause the powder is horrible.

If you get the powder add about 2 tbs. of heavy cream to it. It makes it taste much better. Just remember that 2 tbs. counts for about 1 g of carbs.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 13:38

Stats: 270/270/185 Male 6'
BF:
Progress:
Default Sausage

I've noticed in some of the threads, that sausage seems to be not high on the induction period? Is that true, or just a misunderstanding on my part?
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 13:57

Stats: 220/190/160 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 50%

i think by eating a good breakfast, you will not have those cravings at the snack machines! i ate very big breakfasts on induction because i was worried that i would be hungry--but i never was...i also kept some cheese around to take the edge off if i was feeling tempted!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 14:17

Plan: lower carb, lower GI
Stats: 298/277/240 Female 5'6
BF:yes it is
Progress: 36%

I like cheese stick, or some of the hot cereals for the lc plan. I do omlettes a lot. Also, there are some locarb pancake recipes out there. I made the Atkins mix ones today. Will experiment with some of the others that are on the board. The Atkins ones were fine, with sf torani syrups (peach, chocolate, etc). Try and find the La Tortilla lc tortillas and you could do a breakfast burrito, or even wrap up some sausage in it, or ham or cheese.