Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-16-09, 22:09

Plan: General Low Carb/ Optimal
Stats: 235/223/180 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default vitamin D question

Ok I started taking Vitamin D yesterday and the whole day I felt more irritable and Moody. Has this happened to anyone? Maybe its not the vitamin D but I just thought I would ask. I didnt take it today and felt fine. I plan to take in tomorrow to see what happens.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-17-09, 00:32
AntiSAD

Plan: finding my happy place
Stats: 245/231.4/200 Female 67 inches.
BF:
Progress: 30%

I started supplementing last fall. I didn't observe any noticeable mood change.

Have you made other changes in your lifestyle? If you're new to LCing, you may be experienceing "Induction Flu"

Last edited by feelskinny : Wed, Jun-17-09 at 00:38.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-17-09, 08:17

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Have you had your vitamin D blood levels checked. I would start there...then makes sure that you are taking vitamin D3. It is fat soluble so make sure that you are taking fat with it or take it with a fatty meal to assure that it is being completely absorbed. Also, it takes time for it to build up in your body so I doubth that the irritability can be associated with the vitamin. It should help to ward off irritability. Also, how much are you taking?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-17-09, 09:33

BF:

I am not new. lol

I am taking D3 1000IU I took it once before because my levels were low but stopped when it went back up that was years ago. Since I dont get hardly any sun I am pretty sure I need Vit D I am tired of paying Dr money so I dont plan on going to one. That dont ever seem to be able to help me anyway.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-17-09, 13:41

Plan: Less meat, more veg LC
Stats: 252/217/180 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 49%

I have not experienced any irritability and have taken D3 off and on for a few years--I find it eliminates the winter blahs for me. Make sure you're taking the D3 and maybe try a different brand?

F
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-17-09, 14:13

BF:

well I am going to stick with this one for a little to make sure that is what it is and not just normal moodiness. It is D3 it states in on the bottle. I tend to be very effected by medicines that can cause moodiness if its a possibility i will have it. Anyway thanks I will keep taking it and see what happens.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-17-09, 14:15
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

25(OH)D testing for $40 by post to check you've got your level above that associated with chronic disease incidence. For people who don't get outside into natural sunlight it generally takes 5000~6000iu/daily to achieve 55ng or above. Code ~~~~~~ saves you $5 at Iherb.

They are in olive oil but if you are ultra sensitive you may find this form that is sprayed under the tongue is more suitable.

Biotech Pharmacal supply dry powder filled capsules and these pull apart and you can drop the fine powder into some edible massage oil and massage it into your skin. It's through the skin your body naturally acquires D3.

D drops is another alternative.

But higher vitamin D status is associated with less depression and better cognitive function generally.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-30-09, 04:43

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by soule72
Ok I started taking Vitamin D yesterday and the whole day I felt more irritable and Moody. Has this happened to anyone? Maybe its not the vitamin D but I just thought I would ask. I didnt take it today and felt fine. I plan to take in tomorrow to see what happens.

Do you take magnesium supplements, too?

I know of a poster on this forum who reported similar reactions, which were then resolved when she also began taking magnesium. I have also read in other places of people who reported having typical magnesium deficiency symptoms after taking Vitamin D3 and thought the D was to blame. I must commend you on having an open mind on this!

Vitamin D3 increases magnesium uptake, so if there is "too little" in your system in the first place, taking the vitamin D will unmask a magnesium deficiency.

If you look up "magnesium deficiency symptoms" via Google, you'll find a few lists of typical symptoms. If you already had any of these before you began taking the vitamin D3, then it is highly likely that the moodiness and irritability were related to magnesium deficiency, rather than being directly caused by taking vitamin D3.

Although it is apparently not the "best" kind of magnesium, I take the cheapo magnesium oxide supplements most of the time, which work fine for me and keep the arrhythmias I have had at bay. It wouldn't cost you the earth to buy a pack of magnesium supplements (say about 300-400mg per tablet) and do a little experiment on yourself - i.e. try taking the magnesium at night and the vitamin D3 in the morning for a while and see how you feel.

Unless you have something very wrong with your kidneys, it is perfectly safe (I do believe - check this yourself!!!) to take magnesium supplements, as any "excess" is simply excreted in the normal way.

Alternatively, you could try getting your magnesium levels up first, and then start taking the vitamin D again a while later, say a week, a month??? John Cannell of the Vitamin D Council is now also promoting a combo supplement which contains vitamin D3 and magnesium, just so you know that I'm not alone in promoting this combination!!! He is one of the leading experts in the field, so I have to assume that he has come up with this combination for good reasons.

Please keep us posted about your experiences. I have been following this magnesium/vitamin D3 connection with great interest lately, so I would be really grateful if you could let us know how things go and whether you experiment with magnesium, too.

I am absolutely NOT an expert or anything, just a citizen who has read a few things in this field, so I won't be in the least bit offended if you think my advice is absolute bunkum!!!

amanda
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-30-09, 22:57

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Great information, thanks!

TJ
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-09, 01:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeweeaka
Great information, thanks!

TJ

You're welcome, TJ!

amanda
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-07-09, 13:44

BF:

Ive been taking the magnesium oxide for at least 6 mo to a year I cant remember when I started. So I dont know. I have continued to take the Vit D and increased it to double what I was taking. It has not gotten any worse. Who knows but I am taking it anyway. I will continue to keep an eye on it.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-07-09, 13:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soule72
Ive been taking the magnesium oxide for at least 6 mo to a year I cant remember when I started. So I dont know. I have continued to take the Vit D and increased it to double what I was taking. It has not gotten any worse. Who knows but I am taking it anyway. I will continue to keep an eye on it.

So you're now taking 20,000 IUs per day???

That seems like a lot, when around 5K is what is usually recommended.

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of skin colour do you have? If you are dark-skinned, the low mood could be because of vitamin D deficiency, but I would not necessarily take 20K per day.

You could try and take the Grassroots test for $40 and see if your levels really are low.

I'm trying to think what other vitamin/mineral deficiencies can cause symptoms of irritability and moodiness. Maybe zinc???

I'll see what I can find.

amanda
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-07-09, 14:19

BF:

I am taking 2 tablets of 1000 IU daily.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-07-09, 14:20

BF:

so I am taking under the recommended i guess. Each pill is 1000 IU and the bottle recommends 1 a day
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-07-09, 16:21

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

I checked my bottle of Magnesium that I started back taking and it is citrate... Dr. Stoll recommended glycinate, aspartate, and orotate...and said that citrate is the worst form...of course, I think there is a debate on that, however.

I've been trying to add more magnesium rich foods in the form of green vegetables, legumes, nuts, and seeds... I also read that anyone who exercises on a regular basis needs more magnesium so I've started taking it after I exercise.

In regards to the high levels of vitamin D, I take 10,000 ius...I wonder if the higher doses further makes us require more magnesium???? Anyone know the answer to this one...

TJ