Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 09:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 163/146/140 Female 5ft 5inches
BF:
Progress: 74%

My theory is that like ones metabolism, memory does the same mean sneaky thing. Sometime from the age of about 50 on, you go to bed one night with all faculties intact and wake up the next moring to find the two M's have crept away during the night. memory comes back in fits and starts, but I'm darned if I know where metobolism has gone to. Along with single socks, there must be a veritable "Bermuda Triangle' full of metabolisms somewhere
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 10:42
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 162/118/110 Female 63 inches
BF:29%/22%/20%
Progress: 85%

yeh! I know it is just the age thing. The ginkgo has been my best help so far. Maybe the longer that I am Low carbing, my memory will get even better. I'm checking out the receipts so I won't get bored or over hungry and go back to my old eating habits.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 12:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 159/141.7/130 Female 5'7"
BF: LOTS!
Progress: 60%

Well, I've been low-carbing since 1994, and it hasn't helped my memory (at least not that I can remember!).
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 13:21

Plan: Back to CALP 03/23/08
Stats: 280/201.5/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 79%

i am 64 and find myself now forgetting and misplacing things i never did before. sometimes i get concerned as my father had alzheimers and the last 10 yrs of his life was not fun to watch.
prior to going on vacation in july i thought i should put my jewellery away in a safe place. this past weekend i searched my house high and low, everywhere!- i couldn't remember where i stashed it yesterday my daughter came over and i asked if i had told her where i put my jewellery. she gave me 'the look' and told me i had given it to her to put in her safety deposit box. we both got a good laugh over that one.
well i'm off to buy some ginko biloba
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 20:00

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

If you are afraid of Alzheimers, the gingko will help, and being on this diet has been shown to not correlate with getting it (i.e eating higher fats doesn't lead to it). They are begining to think that blocked arteries may contribute to getting it, so this diet would help with that, judging by recent research as well as taking Folic acid and Vit B6and 12 for keeping homocysteine down. Be sure to get rid of the free radicals that might also contribute, they think, so take lots of Omega 3's (flaxseed oil and fish oil...I take both) and Vit E. Keep your brain active e.g. doing crossword puzzles, that sort of thing. And exercise to oxygenate.
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 20:58

Plan: Back to CALP 03/23/08
Stats: 280/201.5/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 79%

thanks valewis, other than the ginko (which i started today) i have incorporated the items you mention into my daily routine but sometimes these little lapses make me wonder.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 01:36

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:
Progress: 80%

So far, my make-a-living memory does fine, I still remember stuff from school 40 years ago, and I keep up on all the little updates at work, announcements that to make the red printer print you have to click on this box, drag this, etc. My co-workers in their 40's talk about senior moments, but so far I can keep up with them,frequently I'm the one who reminds them, 'no, that abstract has been replaced by, bla bla bla" BUT when I meet friends at the market or whatever, people I see every week and call by their names, sometimes the names will not come to me until hours later.You know that game, "memory?" where you turn over cards and then try to remember where the match was for the card you have? My dad was excellent at that until well into his late 70's - could keep right up with my kids. he's 84 now, will have to try it again - hes a retired experimental psychologist, I'm sure he will appreciate the searchfor information. Bill
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 06:58
Registered Member

I think my memory problems are related to my high cholestral mostly and not age. Bad eating habits for 50 years has got to take its tole. After much thought and talking to others my age, just a bit of memory loss can be contributed to my age. Both my grandmothers lived to 95 and their memories were clear as a bell. I think would have lived longer if their children would not have insisted that they give up their work, gardening and hobbies. Of cource they did it for both grandmothers own good. I think keeping active and staying interested in life and others is the key.
Loosing weight is one of my goals at the moment. I'm sure overweight is bad for good health and activities. The ginkgo biloba 120mg has brought back my short term memory. I'll cut back on ginkgo when my weight is down to normal and cholestral is down. If never then I'll continue taking.
Even with my memory problem, I can think circles around the young people I work with.
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-03, 22:04

Plan: Atkins - modified
Stats: 280/253/160 Female 5'4"
BF:50+/44.4/25
Progress: 23%

I tuned in last night to the middle of a program about memory loss... details are a bit muddled cause I didn't see it all, but they were talking about raised homocysteine levels and taking folic acid.

The part that I saw included an interview with a woman who claimed that folic acid supplements had given her back her memory...

Now this isn't the first big claim I have heard for folic acid.... seems it plays a vital part in many functions in our bodies...

I for one am upping the folic acid
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 17:06

Stats: 226.5/193.0/185 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%

I'm for the extra folic acid, I take 400 mg now but have heard double that amount is not too much. I'll wash some extra down with my Friday night suds, after a few I always feel smarter anyhow. Just kidding . Seriously though, since I have been on daily regimen of supplements I do feel much better. I have not met a doctor that will tell you to refrain from this stuff and who knows, it might work.
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-03, 19:37
Registered Member

I have never heard of folic acid helping with memory loss. It can't hurt and maybe help, I'll add it to my next vitamin order. I have short term memory loss not total loss.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 08:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 163/146/140 Female 5ft 5inches
BF:
Progress: 74%

Folic acid has long been prescribed to pregnant women in New Zealand as it is thought one of its effects is easier absorbtion of iron and oxygenation of the blood, which, if it helps memory loss, makes sense
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 09:22
Registered Member

Folic Acid does make sense when I think about it. Memory loss is only because less blood and oxygen is getting to the brain because of veins hardening and cholestral clogging the pathways. If the brain doesn't get enough nutrients via the blood then we have problems.
Thanks for the help.
Donna
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Oct-16-03, 18:13

Stats: 226.5/193.0/185 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%

Certainly makes sense as to why I am calmer, brighter and have a deeper thought process on the days I exercise as opposed to those I skip, not to mention the endorphin rush.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 18:27

Plan: My own lactovegetarian
Stats: 130/110/112 Female 63 inches
BF:24.5%
Progress: 111%

My mom ran through all the names of us kids when I was little, but maybe because there were so many of us. I'm 1 of 8, no.7. I have more trouble remembering things since I'm older and I keep trying to learn stuff that is foreign to me. I guess I forget that I'm 63 and should relax a bit. I haven't noticed a lot of difference since being on Atkins, in the memory respect. I attribute a lot of it to stress and working at night and not getting enough sleep until I am off.