Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Apr-04-05, 10:53
Circling...

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/222/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Yesterday was an off day (Sunday)

Today was cardio again (have to plan it so weight day falls on the day with Brad)

Treadmill... 20 minutes... speed 3.0... incline 2.0, 3.0, 4.0, 5.0 (raised every 5 minutes)
ArcTrainer... 20 minutes... level 3
Bike... 20 minutes... climbing program... level 3

So I read this article about cardio. And how if you do too much it ends up damaging the muscles. So is an hour too much? It didn't say. I don't want to do damage. That would suck!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Apr-05-05, 10:24
Circling...

BF:

Tuesday... weights...

Treadmill... 7 minute warm up... speed 3.1... incline 2.0
45 Degree Leg Press... 135 lbs... 15 reps... 3 sets
Ball Crunches... BW... 15 reps... 3 sets
Alternating Single Arm Chest Press... 10 lbs... 15 reps... 3 sets
Shoulder Press... 10 lbs... 15 reps... 3 sets
Knee Up... BW... 15 reps... 3 sets (up from 10 reps :thup
Incline Curls... 10 lbs... 15 reps...3 sets
Lever Pullover... 72 lbs... 15 reps... 3 sets
Lever Seated Hip Adduction... 60 lbs... 15 reps... 3 sets
Lever Seated Hip Abduction... 80 lbs... 15 reps... 3 sets
Half Squats... BW... 15 reps... 3 sets
Lever Oblique Twist... 44 lbs... 15 reps... 3 sets
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-05, 00:31
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Hi!
About the cardio.......lots of controversy out there over cardio, and how much to do. As far as catabolizing muscle, yep, it can happen, but it needs to be excessive and consistent.....think marathoners with the skinny upper bodies. This is usually coupled with less than optimum protein intake. The other problem with cardio is raising cortisol levels....... "they" say 45-60 minutes of exercise, and then cortisol levels rise.

The general consensus seems to be keep all exercise close to that 45-60 minute window, and be sure to get enough protein...... 0.8-1.0g per pound.

When I go trail-walking with the family for pleasure, we might be out there for 2 hours or so, but it's low intensity, and snacks/food before and after.

How do you feel? If you start to feel tired or worn down, then try cutting back on the cardio. Otherwise, seems like a good regime you got going there,
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Apr-06-05, 08:03
Circling...

BF:

Wednesday.....cardio....

Treadmill... 20 minutes... speed 3.0... incline 1.5-5.0
Bike... 20 minutes... level 3... climbing
Eliptical... 10 minutes... level 3 constant

Todays gym observation..... If you have more hair on your back than on your head you should not wear muscle shirts with minimal coverage of the back.
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-05, 12:24

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyAngel
Todays gym observation..... If you have more hair on your back than on your head you should not wear muscle shirts with minimal coverage of the back.

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree!!!! Thanks for the giggle!!!
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-05, 16:34
Circling...

BF:

Today... Thursday... session #8 with Brad...

Treadmill warmup... 9 minutes... speed 3.2... incline 2.0
Ball squats... BW... 15 reps... 3 sets
Knee up... BW... 15 reps... 3 sets
Split squats... BW... 15 reps...3 sets each side
Front raise/lateral raise... 5 lbs... 15 reps... 3 sets
Bicep Curls... 10 lbs... 15 reps... 3 sets
Kick backs... 10 lbs...15 reps... 3 sets
Shoulder Press... 10 lbs... 15 reps... 3 sets
Pull downs... wide grip... 50 lbs... 15 reps... 3 sets
45 degree Leg press... 135 lbs... 15 reps... 3 sets
Oblique twist... medicine ball between knees lying on mat... 15 reps... 3 sets

A good workout. Brad told me I don't whine and complain like most of his clients. LOL! I don't know if that's a good thing or not. I told him why whine? I'm paying him to work me. But I told him that doesn't give him permission to raise all my weights so I will start whining.
I still like the 45 degree leg press better than the machines. It was a little harder today when Brad and Jeff (one of the other trainers) decided to sit on either end of the bar. I lifted them 3 times though. LOL! At least I get to laugh during my workouts. Some people look so crabby!
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-05, 08:04
Circling...

BF:

Saturday... in the basement...

Treadmill warm up... 5 minutes... speed 3.2
Ball squats... BW... 15 reps... 3 sets
Ball crunches.... BW... 15 reps... 3 sets
Split squats... BW... 15 reps... 3 sets each side
Jack knife situps... BW... 15 reps... 3 sets
Front raise/lateral raise... 5 lbs... 15 reps... 3 sets
Bicep curls... 10 lbs... 15 reps... 3 sets
alternating with
Kickbacks... 10 lbs... 15 reps... 3 sets each arm
Oblique twist on floor... BW... 15 reps... 3 sets
Shoulder press... 10 lbs... 15 reps... 3 sets
Pull over on weight bench... 18 lbs... 15 reps... 3 sets
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-05, 20:37
Circling...

BF:

Oh my gosh... I've been terrible with posting my workouts. I've gone a week without posting. But I have been exercising.

I can't remember my weeks workouts so I'll just start with what I can remember of Thursday's workout with Brad. It was session #9 which means next week is my last session with him. I'll still be able to go to him for advice or questions but we won't have weekly workouts. I think he's gotten me on a decent path. It's been a good start.

Thursday...
Treadmill warm-up...6 minutes... speed 3.2... incline 2
45 degree leg press (Quads)... 135lbs... 15 reps... 3 sets
Ball squats (Gluts/Quads)... BW... 15 reps... 4 sets
Knee-ups (Rectus Abdominis)... BW... 15 reps... 3 sets
Oblique twist (obliques)...BW+3lb medicine ball... 15 reps... 3 sets
Seated shoulder press (Deltoid, Anterior)... 10 lbs... 15 reps... 3 sets
Push-ups (Pectoralis Major, Sternal)...15 reps alternating hand on medicine ball.... 3 sets (90 total???)
Lever preacher curl(Brachialis)... 20lbs... 15 reps... 3 sets
Underhand pull-downs (Latissimus Dorsi & Teres Major)... 50 lbs... 15 reps... 3 sets
Cable one-arm row (General back)... __lbs... 15 reps... 3 sets
Cable kickbacks (Triceps Brachii)... 20 lbs... 15 reps... 3 sets each arm

What the heck was up with the push-ups??? Man was I feeling those for a couple days. Still feeling it tonight! I suck at push-ups. I was feeling really weak on Thursday. Not weak like sick but just didn't seem to have the strength to lift. I went after work and was pretty tired so maybe that was all. Things just seemed harder... harder than normal. I felt like a wimp.

I've started putting in which muscles are being targeted in my log.

Friday and today's exercise was test riding bikes! Whoo hoo!!! I'm going to put my bike info in a separate post. Still in my gym log but in a post of it's own.

Tomorrow will be basement weights. The free weight area of the Y is crazy packed on the weekends so I stay home.
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-05, 21:39

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

Your title caught my eye. You are funny. I enjoyed reding this. I too attend my local YMCA. The price is right and it isn't a meat market. Keep on truckin'.
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-05, 21:56
Circling...

BF:
Default My Bike

Biking...

I've ridden mtb trails on and off for a number of years. Last year I put road slicks on my mtb and tried the road out and really enjoyed it. This week I started shopping for a road bike. I'm hoping to lose weight, get in shape and have a great time biking.

Knowing my tendency to be an impulse buyer I purposefully did all my bike-shopping this weekend without any money or credit-cards. All was left at home so I was forced to leave with an "I'll have to think about it and come back". It was a very wise move.

Yesterday...
Shop #1 - Test rode some Treks. Found a nice 2003 left over Trek 2000 which was a good fit and was fairly comfortable. It had a great component group and was a really good price. But it didn't feel like something I would be happy riding for a couple years. Didn't feel "right". I also rode some Trek WSDs at this shop. They were OK. Not overly impressed.
Shop #2 - Test rode Cannondales and looked at Raleighs. (This shop was one a friend of mine used to work at and he sent me there.) My first visit there I test rode a Cannondale Sport Road bike (SR800) which was a very nice ride. He only had a flat handle bar in stock (Road Warrior) so I didn't get to get a feel of the dropped bars. The mechanic who was helping me actually rides this this same bike so said he would bring his in for me to try today so I could ride with the correct handlebars.
Today...
Back to shop #2. - Rode the mechanic's bike (Cannondale SR800) and still liked the feel of the bike. The dropped handlebars felt good. The bike was a little big but it gave me an idea. While there I asked to ride one of Cannondale's road bikes to compare the feel to the Sport Road. I rode the Cannondale R700. And it felt really good right away. I was impressed. It was a very light bike, handled well and I liked the ride position. (Would only need a little tweaking). So I left there with an "I'll think about it".
Shop #3 - Looked at/test rode Giants and Specialized. I was very disappointed when I was going to test ride the Specialized Dolce WSD. One of the bikes I had high hopes for. The thing was almost as heavy as my mtb! I was really surprised. The rear end of it was really heavy. Too heavy for me to even want to ride. I want a nice lightweight bike for the road. Not one as heavy as my mtb. I could just put slicks back on my mtb if I wanted that. I did ride the Giant OCR1 through OCR3 in a variety of sizes. The OCR1 in an XS felt pretty good. Unfortunately this bike shop doesn't have a good riding area near it. All I could do was circle the parking lot which I didn't feel was a good enough ride to tell if I really liked the bikes. When I asked where people test rode their bikes he said "right out back". I didn't ask if I could take the bike to a local trail... don't know how that would have been received.

Soooooo.... the bottom line of the whole story.... After three LBS, many bikes test-ridden, re-ridden and re-re-ridden I've made up my mind. And the winner is........

THE 2005 CANNONDALE R700

HERE is a link to the specs if anyone wants to take a look at them. I like the orange color but am not crazy about the two-tone so I'm going with the gray.

I have to say I was treated really well in all three LBS I went to. And everyone I dealt with was very nice and helpful. That was encouraging. I wasn't treated like some out of shape fat chick who didn't know anything about bikes. It helped that I had done a ton of research and was able to walk in with an idea of what I was looking for and able to "talk bike" to a certain degree and actually know what I was talking about. (Or at least sound like it ) At the first shop I was actually helped by 3 different people. As my questions became more detailed I was directed to someone else. LOL! I guess they have stages of knowledge.
The first two shops were much better for test rides. The first shop is on a farm road so I was able to go straight out and ride some back country roads. Including some rolling hills. Great for test riding. (Other than the manure smell hanging in the air. LOL!) The second shop is on a busy road but has a fairly quiet neighborhood behind it that has enough roads to get a decent ride in and also has one small hill to try a little tiny climb. (A really small hill) The third shop is in a very busy area with really no place to ride any distance. There is a paved path not far from there but I didn't ask if I could throw the bikes on my truck and leave with them. The guy seemed pretty happy with test rides in the parking lot so I guess that's how it's done there. And I'm not exactly sure where the paved path is anyway. Which is fine but I didn't feel real confident dropping a good deal of money based on a couple circles aorund the parking lot.

So that's the bike saga. I'm going to wait a couple days... make sure I still think this is a good choice. (And I'm out of town Monday) So I'll probably be buying on Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm going to ride one size smaller to compare to the one I rode before deciding. Some things I also will consider are a women's saddle (probably a definite) and maybe changing the stem to either one a bit longer or one with a shorter forward extension until I get used to the road riding position. It is a lot different from what I'm used to. It will take a little tweaking but I am pretty confident that this will be a good purchase. And now I'm excited!!! I wish I lived in a place that had better biking!

Gypsy
  #56   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-05, 06:51

Plan: Atkins+coffee
Stats: 290/185/180 Male 71 inches
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 95%

Sweet looking ride! Best of luck with it!

--T
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-05, 11:12

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 272/261/190 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Congrats Gyps! Looks like a great bike (nice component set) but - more importantly - it felt right to you. The only thing I wondered about after looking at the specs is the fork. Is it carbon? With an aluminum bike like that, a carbon fork is a must to absorb road shock on longer rides; your hands will thank you!

Regarding the saddle - you've done a lot of research so you probably already know to look for one that's not necessarily "cushy" when you sit upon it (which can actually be worse for you in the long run). It took me a few weeks to find a good saddle that fit me properly and felt good after over an hour of riding. I think a lot of people make the mistake that "if it's soft/spongy, it must be comfortable."

Finally - are they going to have a fit expert set you up on the bike when/if you buy it? They should check your position on the bike - cleats/shoes position on the pedals, saddle fore and aft position, stem reach, etc. Again - you probably already know this, but proper fit after you buy the bike is so important for your long-term enjoyment of it. My Bianchi felt good when I first rode it - but it felt even better after they fit the bike to me rather than the other way around.

Again, congrats!!! I can't wait to hammer the roads with you someday soon. Looks like a great choice and - once properly setup - should give you many years of cycling enjoyment! WOO HOO!
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Apr-23-05, 10:45
Circling...

BF:

I need to get back to logging my exercise. I guess it's better to exercise and not log it than not exercise.

Thursday was my last session with Brad. I'm so glad I rented him for the 10 weeks. I learned a whole lot from him. Now I have to try to figure out what to do on my own each week. LOL! CindyG has recomended some 2, 3 and 4 day splits to me so I may look at them and try them out.

Brad and I were all over the gym Thursday so I don't think I can remember what we did in the right order. And of course I don't have my paper here with me.... it's at the Y. LOL! But the workout included...

Treadmill warmup
Ball squats - holding medicine ball straight out - BW+5lbs -15/3
Ball crunches - BW - 15/3
UpsideDown BOSU ball push ups - BW - 15/3 (The BOSU was upside down... not me ) These were much better than the medicine ball push ups last week.
Oblique Twists - BW+5lbs - 15/3
Knee ups - BW 15/3
Incline bicep curls - 10lbs 15/3
Seated shoulder press - 10lbs - 15/3
Wide grip pull downs - 50lbs - 15/2
Cable pushdown - 20lbs - 15/3 (should have gone heavier)
Leg Press - 100/120lbs - 15/3
Leg lifts holding ball between feet - BW 10/3

As much as I can remember that was it...
Yesterday I was in a conference all day so my exercise was lifting a water bottle from the table to my mouth. And driving 2.5 hours each way.
Today... I will go to the basement for lifting.
  #59   ^
Old Sun, May-01-05, 14:21
Circling...

BF:

Friday....

To the Y after work for weight lifting...

Treadmill warm up 8 min/3.5
Leg Press 140lbs 3/15
Ball Crunches BW 3/15
Medicine ball push ups (as much as I hate these I really feel it the next day. That good hurt.) BW 3/10 each side = 60
Knee ups BW 3/10
Incline curls 8lbs 3/20
Close grip pull downs 50 lbs 3/15
Cable tricep press 20 lbs 3/15
Oblique twist 40 lbs 3/15 each side
Shoulder press on ball 10 lbs 3/15
Fly on ball 10 lbs 3/15

Sunday....
Had a decent bike ride today. Went to a local multi use path which has it's good points and it's bad points. Unfortunately there were a lot of people around because it's a beautiful day so that made for a choppy ride and some sudden stops and swerves to avoid people doing stupid things on the path like letting there dogs run on retractable leashes or stopping dead in their tracks. I can't complain about people being on the path as it is a MUP but some sense would be nice. And the amount of kids on bikes without helmets is pretty scary. But I survived. Got a little bruised and bloody but never fell off the bike. LOL!
Anyway... it was an OK ride. Still getting used to the new road bike. It's amazing how different it is from my mountain bike. I don't feel nearly in control of this bike... I kind of feel insecure on it. I don't know if it's the different riding position or the light weight bike or the different handling. I'm not saying I don't like it... I like it a lot. But it's going to take a lot of getting used to. I don't know how to describe it. It seems so... skinny? Fragile? Light? And I really miss my mtb! I want to keep riding the Cannondale to get used to it and become more comfortable on it. But I want to hop on my mtb and ride hard. I know it can take a beating. It almost feels like I have to be careful not to break the Cannondale. And be careful not to fall off the damn thing. LOL! Oh well.... we shall see..... I'm very glad I still have my Raleigh though!!!
I haven't gotten my cyclocomputer for the Cannondale yet. I ordered components from REI that I can put on the Cannondale and still use the same HRM and computer. It's configured for Bike 1 and Bike 2 so that's cool. So I don't know any stats about my ride. I would guess it was about 15 miles and not very fast due to path traffic. I guess I need to get off the paths and hit the roads. Start doing some climbing to see how it is on the new bike.
I adjusted the cleats on my shoes today before riding. Pushed them all the way to the inside of the shoe. My foot seemed a lot better with doing that. It still hurt some at the end of the ride but I didn't feel it as early in the ride as I was before. I was going to take the bike in for a fitting tomorrow but it turns out I'm working day shift so it will have to wait until tuesday.
  #60   ^
Old Sun, May-01-05, 14:59

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 272/261/190 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Sounds great, Gypsy! You'll be buff and flying down the paths in no time! As for the feeling of the road bike, that is perfectly normal. It took me probably a dozen or so rides before I really began feeling comfortable on my Bianchi. Soon, however, you'll really begin to understand how your road bike feels like a race car and your mountain bike an SUV.