Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-18, 23:11

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default Tips on monitoring BP - readings to record

I posted about a cheap monitor and then found one I bought ages ago that's fine while I was rummaging through giveaway bags. I only remembered the old manual one.

I take a few readings and I know you are supposed to average them, but mine are all over the place. Tonight was 141/87 as the highest reading (taken first). Lowest (last one taken) was 119/68. Last night my highest was 158/93 and lowest bottom number was 136/82.

For now, I am just writing the highest and the lowest and not averaging. Any clue why would the readings be so all over the place? I am taking them all in the same position and they decrease as time goes on but I am not leaving a lot of time in between. Wondering if I am doing it wrong?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-18, 04:21

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Considering White Coat Syndrome, where the act of being in a doctor’s office raises BP: you might be stressing yourself
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-18, 04:40

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Time of Day, BP rises through the day. Measuring technique varies...sitting in chair?, crossing legs? arm height heart? etc Complete list of what not to do here:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/blood-pressure#athome

DH was told to take the reading at home shortly after he woke, before he moved around too much, drank coffee, etc. in other words, do it at same time under same conditions and early in the day so it was not influenced by however your day went.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Nov-27-18 at 06:12.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-18, 10:34

BF:

I am talking about doing all the right things but taking a few readings in a row that are wildly different but go down over time. I mean, 153/98 is a big difference from 136/82. I don't know if the lower number is OK to consider my real one?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-18, 04:40

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Consider taking it to your docotor's office to calibrate against? Battery OK? Small fluxuations are normal, but I agree those appear substantial. Ask the person who takes BP at the office...maybe they are not?
https://www.health.harvard.edu/bloo...ressure-at-home
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-18, 10:10

BF:

I think it was just that first day (stressed?). Now everything is more consistently low - 125/72, 118/70, in that range. I can't imagine the doctor's office would know how to calibrate?