Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-15, 15:45
Registered Member

Plan: LC/Atkins/Paleo blend
Stats: 218/207/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Homemade mayo help... how?

I tried to make this twice and it came out like some sort of disgusting liquid. I'm not quite sure why though. I used a room temperature egg, light tasting olive oil (1 cup) some mustard (about 1 tablespoon) and 4 T of vinegar and a squeeze of lime. I also tried it using just the egg and light tasting oil. No luck. I used an electric whisk beater so I thought maybe that was it as it wasn't an Immersion blender but I didn't think that would matter because it's still blending it fast. It just wouldn't thicken as all.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-15, 16:48
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi. Do you have a link to the recipe you're referring to?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-15, 16:53

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

4 T of vinegar to 1 c oil seems too much.
I now use this recipe http://www.everydaymaven.com/2014/h...ake-mayonnaise/

Before bought an immersion blender, made same recipe but used a food processor. this recipe, halfed: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/whole-egg-mayonnaise/
I too would think an electric whisk would work, but the food processor is the most powerful if you have that.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-15, 17:41

Plan: IF dairy-free keto ish
Stats: 175/175/170 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 0%

Too much vinegar, fer sure, and looks like too much mustard powder as well (you used powder right, not regular mustard?)

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/20...-mayo-patience/
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-28-15, 18:02
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

I've made my mother's mayo my entire life. She was French and OMG could she cook! I didn't eat jar mayo until I got married and promptly went back to making my own.

Here's her recipe:

Mé Mé’s Homemade Mayonnaise & Aoli
1 large egg yolk, at room temperature
Pinch of salt
Few grinds of black pepper (use white if you don’t want black specks in your mayonnaise)
3 t red wine vinegar or fresh lemon juice
1 t Dijon mustard – adds flavor and helps with the emulsion (I buy Wal-mart’s brand & it works fine)
3/4 to 1 c oil (I've never made it with EVOO)

In a medium bowl, mix yolk, salt and pepper together until well blended and yolk lightens in color using an electric mixer on high.

Mix in the vinegar or lemon juice and Dijon

While mixing constantly, drizzle in the oil very slowly. Begin with just a drop or two at a time. Once you have added about half the oil, you can add it in a very thin stream. Keep mixing the entire time you are adding the oil.

When finished, the mayonnaise will not be as thick as store bought mayonnaise. Let it sit, refrigerated, for at least half an hour. Stir and taste for seasoning.

If necessary, whisk in a pinch more salt or another teaspoon or so of vinegar. Wait before tasting because it takes a while for the salt to dissolve into all of the oil.

For Aoli: Add crushed garlic once mayonnaise is finished for a wonderful dip for shrimp or sauce for fish or any other meat.

Enjoy!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-04-15, 08:01

Plan: ketogenic
Stats: 115/111/110 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I tried three times last summer and failed every time. I used a blender, food processor and my Kitchen Aid stand mixer. I read where all these kitchen gadgets could be used. Well, it didn't work for me.

I bought an immersion blender after that and I had mayo in 2 minutes flat. I love my immersion blender. I have made homemade mayo ever since August of 2014.

I use 1 C oil (MCT and olive oil-light)
1 egg
1/2 T lemon juice
1/2 T ACV
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. dry mustard powder
*optional sweetener if you want a little sweeter

Last edited by JudyMC : Sun, Jul-05-15 at 04:05.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-05-15, 03:59

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

That combo of lemon juice and ACV sounds good! I've been using Trader Joe's White Balsamic Vinegar. It is clear with a touch of sweetness, not heavy, dark or super sweet like authentic balsamic. Back in the day when the Silver Palette store/cookbook was popular, I made mayo with Sherry Vinegar which is now hard to find or too expensive. Lots of flavor options with the vinegars, maybe check those out for your Earthfare run.

I never had a problem using the food processor, as long the light olive oil was added slowly through the tube. But the CLEAN-UP is SO much easier with the immersion blender! Will never go back...Love IT. Best kitchen invention since, well, the food processor.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-07-15, 20:43

Plan: DDF, P:E
Stats: 237.5/179.4/150 Female 64
BF:55.7%/47.5%/?
Progress: 66%

I'm too chicken to try this without pasteurized eggs and I've not found any in my area. I think maybe because of the recent avian flu in the midwest there might be a shortage. As soon as I get some pasteurized eggs, I'm definitely going to give this a try.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-15, 18:55

Plan: DDF, P:E
Stats: 237.5/179.4/150 Female 64
BF:55.7%/47.5%/?
Progress: 66%

A friend brought me 2 dozen pasteurized eggs today. Tomorrow I'm off work so I'm gonna makes some mayo and maybe some LCHF ice cream. Will be making cashew butter as well.

There are so many mayo recipes out there. Now to decide which one.... lol
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-29-15, 04:32
I’m Delicious

Plan: It's a secret..shhh
Stats: 255/193/175 Female 5'7
BF:Beef Flavored?
Progress: 78%

I have always had luck with this recipe

1 cup light olive oil or safflower oil (I don't use canola it's inflamitory for me) and extra virgin olive oil is too strong of a flavor
1 egg yolk
1 Tbs water
1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4-1/2 tsp mustard powder (this acts as an immulsifier so do not omit it)

Put all ingredients in a tall narrow container(oil,on top), let sit 15 minutes. With your immersion blender, start at the bottom and blend 5 to 10 seconds, as soon as an emulsion starts draw the blender slowly upwards to incorporate all ingredients. Total process takes about 30 seconds. Adjust lemon, salt and add tobasco if wanted. I have made this hundreds of times without failure.