Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 13:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/141/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 87%
Unhappy Can't get off the sauce

I can't get off the sauce. Sauce in my case being Diet Rite and the occassional Diet Coke (when I can't find Diet Rite).

I was really good about being off the sauce until my move a month or so ago ... now I simply DO NOT have the willpower to stop. I need some help to get back to drinking water. I have a cup and just feel like "bleck".

Up until the move I was good about water ... drinking at least 100 oz a day and whenever I would stop at a convenience store I would get a bottle of water.

Now ... I am just drawn to the soda. I cannot stop myself.

I have been back on Induction for a little over a week to lose the "moving weight" which is simply from overeating the good carbs and foods.

I drink about 3-4 Diet Rites a day.

Anyone have any words of advice to help me get off the sauce. I was so good for so long ... the move definitely put a crimp in my dedication.

Maybe like any substance ... I have to take it one day at a time? Make a commitment to just drink water for tomorrow only?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 13:54
Brown-Eyed Girl

Stats: 260/153/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 102%

I drink a Diet Rite for breakfast and water all day long. Then in the evening (after I've drinking my daily water allowance) I switch back to a few Chrystal Lites or a Diet Rite. Don't know how to get off. I just think as long as your not substituting it for water, it shouldn't hurt.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 14:04

BF:

The only reason I am concerned is because I haven't lost after being back on Induction for almost two weeks and exercising almost every day.

Every other time I go on Induction and drink mostly water I lose dramatically ... I am not now ... only thing I could attribute it to is the amount of sodas I am drinking.

I drink Crystal Light at night as well.

But otherwise I eat between 1200-1300 cals per day broken up into 4 - 5 small meals ~ 20 or less carbs per day.

I used to be really good with water and now I can't get over this hump.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 14:05

Stats: 191.5/160/135 Female 5'3
BF:39.8%/?/27%
Progress: 56%

Diet Rite is at least way better than Diet Coke!!! It has splenda, not nutrasweet, and no caffeine.

Are you counting the serving of splenda in Diet Rite as one carb? I don't have to tell you that you should limit your intake of artificial sweeteners during induction, because you've done this longer than I have!

I do find that if I'm going to kick something, I do best if I kick it cold turkey. Get it out of my house, out of my hands.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 14:08

Stats: 248/138/125 Female 5 ft. 3
BF:
Progress: 89%

I don't think you even have to count any carb for diet rite because it is made from liquid splenda...its the packets of powered splenda that you have to count as 1 carb.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 14:09

BF:

I think you are right Kyrie. I will just have to stop buying it altogether until I can get back into a good pattern. That is what I have to do with everything else.

I wasn't counting the Splenda in Diet Rite ... always read that since it was in liquid form it didn't have any carbs ... carbs are added if you use the granular or powder form.

Maybe that is what is blowing my count?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 15:05

Plan: Celiac Disease
Stats: 215/190/115 Female 5'3
BF:35/?/10
Progress: 25%

I have a similar problem with iced tea. Regular water tastes nasty.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 19:27
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

No, you DON'T have to count is as 1 gram. The packets are counted because of the starchy filler that gives them bulk and form. It's usually listed in the ingredients as maltodextrin.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 20:02

Stats: 290/230/130 Female 65 inches
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 38%

I still have a problem with the sauce too!!!!

But I figure I'm ok if I keep the caffeine down and the water up

But man, sometimes I just have to do it and go for a 32 oz diet coke (aaaaaugh!!!!). I can usually hear it in my stomach and I go dude, I am really asking for kidney stones!!!

Charlie Girl
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 08:15

Stats: 191.5/160/135 Female 5'3
BF:39.8%/?/27%
Progress: 56%

Ok, I stand corrected. Liquid form, no carbs.

I believe there's still a good reason to limit it (and not get all your water in diet rite form), but that's because I don't know what most of those chemicals are (reading the ingradient list). It's kind of like a conservative/liberal spectrum, with KISS at conservative and whatever-works on the liberal end.

I lean towards the conservative end-- if I don't know what it is, I assume it's bad to overindulge in it until I learn otherwise. And yeah, it's probably the only thing where the conservative label and me have anything to do with each other. Anyway, I don't know what those chemicals are, so I limit my Diet Rite consumption-- only when I'm craving something sweet and need to be distracted away from something bad for me.

Good luck, mssusthang!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 12:45

Stats: 190/159/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

Maybe you could use seltzer as sort of training water? It'd be cold and crisp bubbly and maybe help to wean you off the other stuff and onto delicious good, clean, pure water...