Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 08:53
Registered Member

Plan: Personalized Plan
Stats: 146/125.7/128
BF:24.5/19.6/15%
Progress: 113%
Default 1st time CDK-er preparing for pics and don’t know what to do!!

I’ve been reading Lyle’s CKD diaries over and over again, but still have questions.
I hope you guys can help me out.

My last carb up was this weekend, from Friday 7 pm till Sunday 7 pm.
I did weight workouts on Monday night and Tuesday night, cardio every morning and will start evening cardio sessions as of this evening.

I’m lowering my fat cals a bit, since I’m in ketosis since last night and don’t want to cut on protein calories.

I’m planning on doing a full body heavy low reps workout on Friday and will drink a cup of fruit juice to get me through it, Lyle did this the Friday before his pics too.

Then only cardio untill piccies (which will be between Monday and Thursday next week) and no carbs till when??

How does this look?

I don’t know when to start carbing and how many carbs to eat. Lyle mentions somewhere to drink less water than during a normal carb up, as you don’t want to retain water.

I do want my muscles to be pumped but don’t know how to get there without getting water retentive and risking fat spillover.

Any help is very much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 09:40
Registered Member

Plan: Modified 'BODYOPUS'
Stats: 238/212/200
BF:22%/11%/7%
Progress: 68%
Thumbs up

Quote:
How does this look?

-Looks good to me.

Quote:
I don’t know when to start carbing and how many carbs to eat. Lyle mentions somewhere to drink less water than during a normal carb up, as you don’t want to retain water.

I do want my muscles to be pumped but don’t know how to get there without getting water retentive and risking fat spillover.

-I believe you 'peak' 2-3 days after your 'carb-up'. As far as 'fat spillover'... you may want to shorten the 'carb-up' (maybe to 12 hours?). However, I'm not too sure if a shortened 'carb-up' before photo's is a good idea or not; just speculation on my part. You may want to take some sort of 'diuretic' (i.e. 'Taraxatone', dandelion, uva ursi, etc.). Just make sure you bump up potassium intake if you decide to do so. I've also heard- some people have had success using 'glycerol' to drop excess water (hence- more vascularity).
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 13:30

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default hmmm

I have an article on contest prep at home on my hard drive somewhere, and it goes into the manipulation of water intake and carb intake.

Be warned: Everyone reacts differently, so the best way (for next time I guess) to see what makes you peak and dry-out is to experiment on your carb-ups.

I'll see if I can dig up that article. It's been a while since I wrote it ...
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 17:36

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default found it!

This article will give you what I feel is a great push in the right direction. However, it is impossible to list one sets of habits that will work for all people -- remember, each person has their own very very unique chemistry. Thus, you may have to try this a few times to "tweak" it for your body.

(1) "Peak" (maximum muscle size with minimal bodyfat) about a week before your contest/photo shoot date. This will give you more fine tuning control going into the contest. Note: Be sure to not your "peak" weight and bodyfat before you start fine tuning. Also, be sure to note your weight before and after training during this phase.

All of this will ensure that you maintain your "peak" weight, with little variation, going into your contest/photo shoot.

(2) Since you have gotten as low in fat as you possibly could (right?) during your contest diet (10 to 12 weeks prior to this week, right?), one of the only things left to obscure your definition is tech amount of water you are holding.

The key to coming in with large, round and pumped muscles is knowing how to maintain maximum blood volume and maximum fluid preservation within the muscles. You will also want to get rid of your"subcutaneous water" (water which is stashed between the skin and muscle).

How do you do that? Well, there are a few ways .... (note: you are taking this advice and using it at your own risk ... I absolve myself of anything detrimental that may occur to you by using this information):

--> A. SWEAT IT OUT - During the last week or two before a contest, sweat the water out. This will help you rid yourself of excess water and salt. Sunbathing, running in a heavy sweatsuit, or taking saunas all work for this. IMPORTANT: Be sure to increase your potassium intake during heavy sweating or reduced-calories periods (both cause a loss of potassium).

--> B. LIMIT SALT AND WATER INTAKE - During the last 2 or 3 days before the contest/photo shoot, eliminate foods that are heavy in sodium. Reduce (but don't eliminate) your water intake. If you look "puffy" during the last 2 days, reduce your fluid intake by half or two-thirds.

--> C. ACTIVITY AND METABOLIC INCREASE - Inactivity causes circulation to slow. That's bad for you, buddy -- especially if you are looking to eliminate water, etc. The answer is low to moderate intensity jogging, biking, walking during the last several days. This will keep your circulation/metabolism optimal.

(3) You should also manage your glycogen levels . I will go on record saying that carbs are essential in the final days of a pre-contest diet. Keep your diet the same that you have been during the past 10 to 12 weeks. Do your carb-up as you normally would.

Be sure that you don't go overboard though -- too many carbs and you'll start to "blur" your definition (yes, this is one of those "individual" areas).

(4) Don't stuff yourself . Too much food in your gut at anyone time will slow down your rate of elimination, and may cause your abdomen to distend (not good). Eat small meals.

(5) Try using glycerol (for water management). Glycerol has applications as a "plasma expander" and as a "water repartitioning agent". Once glycerol enters the blood, it temporarily pulls water from extra-cellular spaces into the bloodstream. This means increased vascularity, thin skin, and striated muscle to you -- assuming that your bodyfat is low, like sub-8% low. Otherwise, glycerol wont bring out the cuts for you.

A little "recipe" for using glycerol was given in Muscle Media by Bill Philips. It goes like this:

The night before your contest/photo shoot, mix 50 ml. glycerol, 12 oz. water, 4 oz. red wine, and 1 serving of grape flavored Phosphagen HP. Drink it up.

Then, about 20 minutes prior to your pumping up for the contest/photo shoot, mix up the same concoction. Drink half of it 20 minutes before you pump up. Then, sip the rest during your contest/photo shoot.

It would seem to make sense that his would work. The alcohol in the red wine increases vascularity by acting as a vasodilator. The simple sugars and creatine in the Phosphagen HP may help increase and prolong your "pump". The glycerol will help to "cut" you up, and boost vascularity.

(6) Pump It Up . Pump your two weakest body parts no more than 10 minutes prior to pre-judging. Don't overpump though ... overpumping will also obscure definition. Only pump enough to bring veins out and round out muscles.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 19:26
Registered Member

Plan: Modified 'BODYOPUS'
Stats: 238/212/200
BF:22%/11%/7%
Progress: 68%
Thumbs up

Great post. I'm going to save it for 'future reference'.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 03:39
Registered Member

Plan: Personalized Plan
Stats: 146/125.7/128
BF:24.5/19.6/15%
Progress: 113%
Thumbs up

Thanks very much for the feedback, great article T Dan!!