Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-02, 00:30

Plan: No Grain Diet www.mercola
Stats: 181/173/173 Male 72"
BF:18/12/10
Progress: 100%
Talking My awesome carb-up, as well as post-workout advice

Hi everyone, new member to this board, I think this is the coolest place for CKD'ers in the web! I am on 'the Anabolic Diet' specefically, thanks Dr. Mauro Dipasquale. Um, so I done done tons of reasearch on this topic and am glad to finally find this web-site. First thing, my carb-up for this week:

Saturday Morning depletion workout, everybody part once, high reps. On the drive home I feel dizzy and *really* weak, even nausiated. Get home, take:
one serving MET-Rx Creatine AC, which includes
410 calories
1g fat
93 Carbs (92 sugars, super high-glycemic index)
8g Protein
13g Creatine
10g Glutamine Peptides
400mg Alpha Lipoic Acid
Then I added some Optimum Nutrition Whey protein to up the protein 30g's

(Notice NO Fat)
I got really tired because either the shock of insulin, or lack of fat which by now by body was accustomed to using as it's energy source, and there is as apparent lack of in this meal.

Anyways, I later had pizza, MAD carbohydrates, MRP's with 2% milk, OJ ext....! Defenitely had my fun for the weekend. I reapeated my Creatine meal when I woke up Sunday since insulin levels are most sensitive after sleeping. So my carb up period was from Saturday morning to Sunday night, where I finished with chicken fajitas with lots of beans and rice. SO I am happy.

Anyways, besides this, I have some information for people looking for post workout nutrition. Normally, not on no carb diet, Iwould take Creatine + Protein + High Glycemic Index Carbs immediately after a workout to 'spike' my insulin and also restore positive nitrogen balance, force nutrients into the muscles, yada yada yada.....similar to my morning carb up meal now. Anways, you obviouslly cannot do this without effecting ketosis, but there is still importance to the post workout nutrient intake, I found this piece of information that I will 'copy' here, but it is pretty good way to 'spike' (maybe not spike, but raise) insulin WITHOUT injecstion of carbohydrates. Here it goes:

"Basically, those post-workout protein drinks during a typical CKD are for naught. Is there anything we can do? Yes, and this can used for both typical CKD and my modified one. A study a few years ago showed that a mouthful of peanutbutter elevated insulin WITHOUT an increase in blood-sugar levels and hence blood glucose!! Now we can have our protein shakes and eat them too. Just take a mouthful of peanutbutter, hold it on your tongue for 1 minute, spit it out, and drink the protein shake. The insulin will drive the aminos into the muscles without inducing fat-storage. Pretty cool, huh?"

Anyways, this is really cool, yeah ,my diet is pretty boring, I was defenitely ready for a change come weekend, I am not sure how the hardcore Atkins people manage, but then again if they are not doing high intensity resistance (anerobic ) excersizes, then I guess this may play factor. So please any responses, comments, or anything worth adding please do so. K, tt'yall'l

PS I am looking for a good recipe to make with protein powder. I have read about this flax oil misture that tastes like garbage I think I will say away from that one. So I heard there is one where you mix Heavy Cream with Protein powder to make pudding, is this good? Also, how many carbs does heavy cream have if any?

Last edited by cmorera : Mon, Jul-15-02 at 00:46.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-02, 16:59
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%
Default the recipe

you were asking about a pro powder pudding?
Mix about a quarter cup with a scoop of powder and a teaspoon of cocoa (if your powder is chocolate, if it's not skip the cocoa)
You'll get a really thick gooey pudding. Then whip some more cream - 1/8 or 1/4 cup will yield more whipped, mix with the pudding and voila.

Cream has about 6 carbs per cup. You can find the exact nutrients on the box. It's like, 0.6 grams per tbs I think.

For a treat add 1-2 tbs of crushed frozen raspberries to the mix.
I've added coffee and peanut butter too.

Meg
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-02, 01:12

Default Re: the recipe

Quote:
Originally posted by Meg_S
you were asking about a pro powder pudding?
Mix about a quarter cup with a scoop of powder and a teaspoon of cocoa (if your powder is chocolate, if it's not skip the cocoa)
You'll get a really thick gooey pudding. Then whip some more cream - 1/8 or 1/4 cup will yield more whipped, mix with the pudding and voila.

Cream has about 6 carbs per cup. You can find the exact nutrients on the box. It's like, 0.6 grams per tbs I think.

For a treat add 1-2 tbs of crushed frozen raspberries to the mix.
I've added coffee and peanut butter too.

Meg

OK, I just tried mixing heavy cream with protein powder (strawberry flavor). THat's it, nothing else. I calculated of course using my 1.5:1 fat to protein ratio, so I almost hit that one on the number for sure. It was good too, I like it!!

Question, does vanilla extract have any calories? The boxes at the store don't have any nuitritional information at all, nada, zip, zilch. I think this would be interesting to add to my protein fat pudding though!

But the peanut butter would sounds delicious, but isn't this cheating a bit? One serving has like 7 carbs, right? Is this neglected since the small amount, or is it like cheating? Even though if you are setting a 30g limit daily, this would be in line.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-02, 06:26
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

the extract does have a fewcalories. If it is imitation there is alcohol in it, so that is more than the real thing. Check it out at this url, it should have it. There should be minimal carbs, I just add in one or two depending on how much I use to my total.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl

As for the peanut butter, I said I have tried it and it is delicious, not that I eat it as part of a daily diet. (I don't) It's up to you whether you want to "cheat" or not. I don't think that any kind of nut or legume is legal for *me* while on a ckd.

Have a wonderful day!
Meg
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-02, 10:09
Registered Member

Plan: Modified 'BODYOPUS'
Stats: 238/212/200
BF:22%/11%/7%
Progress: 68%

Quote:
As for the peanut butter, I said I have tried it and it is delicious, not that I eat it as part of a daily diet. (I don't) It's up to you whether you want to "cheat" or not. I don't think that any kind of nut or legume is legal for *me* while on a ckd.

-I stay away from anything that I'm liable to 'lose it' on (i.e. peanut butter). If I even tease myself with a taste of the stuff... it's over. <--- wave "bye-bye" to good judgment.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-16-02, 23:02

Quote:
Originally posted by Meg_S
the extract does have a fewcalories. If it is imitation there is alcohol in it, so that is more than the real thing. Check it out at this url, it should have it. There should be minimal carbs, I just add in one or two depending on how much I use to my total.

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/cgi-bin/nut_search.pl

OK, so I loooked it up, so basically for every 37 grams of fat you get, you get about 3 carbs. SO this is pretty minimal now I see why it can be used. But let me tell you, it is pretty good I think, it has a lot of saturated fat I noticed. BUt when I mix it up w/my protein, I can just mucch on this once in a while in the fridge. Tasty, koinda has a weird after taste however, maybe I am still adjusting. OH well, thanks for the link and info!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 17:44

Plan: keto
Stats: 155/137/130
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Re: My awesome carb-up, as well as post-workout advice

Quote:
Originally posted by cmorera

Anyways, besides this, I have some information for people looking for post workout nutrition. Normally, not on no carb diet, Iwould take Creatine + Protein + High Glycemic Index Carbs immediately after a workout to 'spike' my insulin and also restore positive nitrogen balance, force nutrients into the muscles, yada yada yada.....similar to my morning carb up meal now. Anways, you obviouslly cannot do this without effecting ketosis, but there is still importance to the post workout nutrient intake, I found this piece of information that I will 'copy' here, but it is pretty good way to 'spike' (maybe not spike, but raise) insulin WITHOUT injecstion of carbohydrates. Here it goes:

"Basically, those post-workout protein drinks during a typical CKD are for naught. Is there anything we can do? Yes, and this can used for both typical CKD and my modified one. A study a few years ago showed that a mouthful of peanutbutter elevated insulin WITHOUT an increase in blood-sugar levels and hence blood glucose!! Now we can have our protein shakes and eat them too. Just take a mouthful of peanutbutter, hold it on your tongue for 1 minute, spit it out, and drink the protein shake. The insulin will drive the aminos into the muscles without inducing fat-storage. Pretty cool, huh?"

hey man that sounds pretty cool you know where i can find more information on the study that shows that a mouthful of peanutbutter will spike insulin? thanks!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 19:05

Default Re: Re: My awesome carb-up, as well as post-workout advice

Quote:
Originally posted by hudunnit

hey man that sounds pretty cool you know where i can find more information on the study that shows that a mouthful of peanutbutter will spike insulin? thanks!

Here is where this information was obtained. There is also some CKD information as well...

http://physicalenhancement.com/supp/sup16.html

Lates then
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 19:15

BF:

hm i checked out the article it seems a bit weary. The guy has no sources for the PB insulin spiking thing. I will search the web and see if i can find the original source that proves this. Until then i will stick to ALA for insulin spiking, seems to work great.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 23:47

Quote:
hm i checked out the article it seems a bit weary. The guy has no sources for the PB insulin spiking thing. I will search the web and see if i can find the original source that proves this. Until then i will stick to ALA for insulin spiking, seems to work great.

OK, I am curious then about the ALA for insulin spiking. That's Alpha Lipotoic Acid, I know that much. But what effect does this have on insulin levels and for what reason? K, I just started tje PB thing, it seems a little unorthadox, but I never heard about anything else.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-02, 01:35

BF:

Quote:

OK, I am curious then about the ALA for insulin spiking. That's Alpha Lipotoic Acid, I know that much. But what effect does this have on insulin levels and for what reason? K, I just started tje PB thing, it seems a little unorthadox, but I never heard about anything else.

Actually its alpha lipoic acid. Taking ALA will shuttle about 50% more nutrients into your muscles instead of fat cells. Works great man! I am taking 600 mg before each meal.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-02, 02:53

Quote:

Actually its alpha lipoic acid. Taking ALA will shuttle about 50% more nutrients into your muscles instead of fat cells. Works great man! I am taking 600 mg before each meal.

OK, I have researched ALA and have not seen anywhere anything to lead me to believe it does this. Also, it is quite expensive also, so I would have to understand the mechanism of how exactly this 'shuttles' nutrients into your muscles, since it does not rely on insulin, which is normally the hormone that does this. K, thanks for the post though

Christian
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-02, 14:08

BF:

Quote:

OK, I have researched ALA and have not seen anywhere anything to lead me to believe it does this. Also, it is quite expensive also, so I would have to understand the mechanism of how exactly this 'shuttles' nutrients into your muscles, since it does not rely on insulin, which is normally the hormone that does this. K, thanks for the post though

Christian

Here is some information that I have found:

ALA's ability to enhance glucose uptake is a very exciting effect that could
enhance other nutrient distribution. By mimicking insulin, ALA increases uptake
of glucose into the muscle cell by 65%. This glucose transport stimulation is
accomplished through Lipoic Acid's participation in the insulin signaling
pathway. Lipoic Acid provokes an upward shift of the glucose-insulin
dose-response curve. This is an important function that enhances muscle cell
nutrient uptake and protein turnover.

ALA will act as an insulin mimicker. By increasing the GLUT4 transporters, when insulin is released more carbs are shuttled to the myocyes and less to the adipocytes. I do agree with you it is pretty expensive, i paid 25 bucks for 180 caps (300mg per cap).
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jul-20-02, 15:29
Registered Member

Plan: Modified 'BODYOPUS'
Stats: 238/212/200
BF:22%/11%/7%
Progress: 68%
Question

Quote:
I am taking 600 mg before each meal.

-During the 'carb-up', right? Otherwise, you're asking for a hypoglycemic attack.