Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-19, 13:25

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna

~No, your heavy cream is not fat free.
~Sorry, your bag of oreos are not keto friendly.
~Um, no - "I can't believe it's not butter" is not actually real butter.
~No, real butter is not fat free, and yes, real butter has cholesterol.

~Your store baked bread, donuts, muffins, cake and cookies are made from wheat flour, so none of them are gluten free.
~This local brand of potato chips is cooked in lard, so no, it's not cholesterol free.
~Sorry, organic only means the product is produced without chemically produced fertilizers, chemically produced herbicides, and chemically produced insecticides. It doesn't necessarily mean it's fat free, cholesterol free, vegan, sodium free, and it can still have artificial flavors or colors if they're organically produced.

I could go on and on...

Ive about given up talking food to anyone...... they dont speak "food and nutrition". lol Its another language.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-19, 15:20

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle

Ive about given up talking food to anyone...... they dont speak "food and nutrition". lol Its another language.

That's so true.

I think we lose sight of that fact on here, especially on these research and media threads. We talk so much about all the little intricacies of nutrition, not just which foods are high in which nutrients, but also which ones are the most bio-available sources of various nutrients. (That sentence in itself would elicit a deer-in-the-headlights look from most people.)
  #78   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-19, 15:24

BF:

yes it would, lol
  #79   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-19, 15:28

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
I think we lose sight of that fact on here, especially on these research and media threads. We talk so much about all the little intricacies of nutrition, not just which foods are high in which nutrients, but also which ones are the most bio-available sources of various nutrients. (That sentence in itself would elicit a deer-in-the-headlights look from most people.)

This is an excellent observation and important point regarding people and the information to which they have access and interest. We do get into the weeds on this forum, and unlike most, we often fail to realize the initial surprise when one first understands the changes required to achieve health through healthy eating.
  #80   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-19, 17:45

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
This is an excellent observation and important point regarding people and the information to which they have access and interest. We do get into the weeds on this forum, and unlike most, we often fail to realize the initial surprise when one first understands the changes required to achieve health through healthy eating.

I ran into my daughter-in-law (former DIL really but she is still like family) at the food coop yesterday. She is quite overweight. She told me that she was eating really healthily and was not eating very many carbs at all, but in her cart were some bananas and her plan was to make spaghetti and meat balls that night for dinner. I know enough not to get into it with her. She is a very smart person and could discover and understand all the info that we all use on her own if she wanted to but it surprised me, bananas and pasta are not on any low carb list I know of. I am pretty sure that what she meant by eating healthily was cutting out sugar and processed foods. If that is the case that is good but I do wish she would go even further into low carb eating.
  #81   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-19, 18:06

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111

I tend to completely lose people on other LC forums I visit when I mention good sources for certain nutrients, or various other qualities of certain types or combinations of foods. More often than not, if they're concerned about the nutrition stats at all, it's only the carb count of whatever food they can make to replace the carby things they miss.

Don't get me wrong - our LC subs for carby foods serve a purpose, and make it far easier to stay on plan, especially when faced with... say for instance a table full of carby Thanksgiving fare, when the only LC friendly foods available would be some turkey, and maybe some crudities. I fully intend to take some mashed cauli, xanthan thickened gravy, oopsie stuffing, and pumpkin bake with me when we travel 2 states away for Thanksgiving.

By the way, I just noticed how far this thread has drifted from the original topic: "Chocolate cookies are like cocaine"
  #82   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-19, 18:32

BF:

Has it really drifted so far? Or are we in the weeds as usual??

People cannot see the effects of the carbs loaded in to their grocery carts because the addiction to carbs keeps them hostage. And as long as tgey are hostages there is NO interest in giving them up, just endless "I cant give up bread" excuses.

The "cocaine" is in control.
  #83   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-19, 18:46

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
It is marketing hype... but then you have to realize that the general public isn't necessarily educated on nutritional information. In fact, most people are downright ignorant about what's in their food.<...>

Which always amazes me.

Some people know every sports figure, where they went to college, and lifetime statistics --- what this weekend's scores are and how that effect's their team's standing --- what celebrity married who, divorced who and cheated on who --- which celebrities are feuding with each other and how that feud is going --- what the characters in some fantasy TV show are up to --- who's who in some soap opera --- what the "Royals" are doing --- what people are wearing on the red carpet --- what fashions are in and/or out this year --- and on and on and on ------ but they don't know what is in their food (or other equally as important non-trivial things).

Some people can't even identify where their major organs are located or the names of their important bones, but they can recognize shoe designers and sports logos on sight.

There is nothing wrong with knowing who's who in entertainment media, but there is something wrong with not paying attention to their body. We have only one vehicle to take us through this life - one body, we can't trade it in, and we can't always fix it. Even when we can fix it, it's often compromised by the repairs. We need to pay attention to how to take care of it. That's a lot more important than the plot of some soap opera.

People are hypnotized by the salesperson in their living room (the TV) and distracted from real life by that same entity.

And yes Verbena, I remember "cholesterol free" on items that never had it like fruit jam. "Fat free" on foods that never had fat. "Low sodium" on foods that never contained salt. I could go on. This is what I meant by "Fad diet". Give them the slogan, they don't know if it applies to them, but it's 'in style' so look for it everywhere. And when that can of olives says "Gluten Free" they can feel confident that they are in with the in crowd.

It's like the majority of us are sheep. Give us a sound byte and we will follow.

I don't think the majority of us here are in that flock. At least I hope not.

There is a better way, and many of us know it. Find out what works for us, and what harms us, and eat for health and long life instead of momentary gratification.

Good health to you all.

Bob
  #84   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-19, 19:03

BF:

Bob, I need u to convince my boys their mom is not stupid, "listen to her. "

I teach them nutrition, why one food is better than another, etc etc and they still choose to eat the pizza and dunkin munchkins.....sigh.
  #85   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-19, 19:15

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

My favorite gluten-free food story is from our local grocery. For months they had a large bin of nuts - pistachios, I think - with a sign announcing they were "Gluten Free!"

The "deer in the headlights" comment made me laugh. That's probably what I looked like in my pre-lc days when a low-carbing diabetic acquaintance told me what she ate. I was appalled! I knew I couldn't eat that way because I'd starve to death!

Of course, I have since learned to eat her way. Wish I knew where she is now - I'd like to thank her for being the first person to really hit me over the head with reality.
  #86   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-19, 02:37

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I read all of Dr. Atkins book and took all the information to heart. In 2003, in order to eat this way, I not only had to turn my attitude to food "inside out and upside down" as I said at the time. I had to content with decades of being told eating this way would kill me.

They were wrong.
  #87   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-19, 03:04

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
Some people can't even identify where their major organs are located or the names of their important bones, but they can recognize shoe designers and sports logos on sight.

As you point out so eloquently, Bob, it's all about what we deem important.

Right now the compare and contrast is stark. My desk is in the center of gym talk and the app that gives you recipes for "100 calorie dinners" and someone is thrilled about losing 12 pounds. Which is all I ever lost doing what they are doing.

But they know what I'm doing and I keep my mouth shut about it now Actions do speak louder than words.
  #88   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-19, 08:09

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
As you point out so eloquently, Bob, it's all about what we deem important.<...>

And what many of us on this forum deem as most important is health.

If you have poor health, nothing else matters. All the shoes, sports souvenirs, friends, likes on social media, money in the bank, and so on mean nothing if you are extremely ill.

IMO Doing one's best to minimize the risk of poor health should be a higher priority for most people.

I'm 73, on zero medications, and I caught a mild cold this year, it lasted 3 days. Onset for one day, runny nose for one day, mild cough the third. No other symptoms. My immune system did it's job.

The last time I had any illness was another mild cold 15 or more years ago, I can't really remember. Plus I haven't missed a day's work since 1964.

The doc says I may be 73 on the outside, but about 50 on the inside. Well that was a year ago, so I might be 51 on the inside now.

All the donuts in the world aren't worth this kind of health.

Bob