Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 04:53

Plan: Lyle McDonald
Stats: 220/202/203
BF:18% / 5% / 5%
Progress: 106%
Default does this mean i take 30 GRAMS of ala each day?!

hi,

i read an article which said that flaxseed oil contains 500-600 mg of ala per 1 ml or 1 gram;
as i consume roughly 60 grams of flaxseed oil a day (mixed into protein shakes) i assume that i take 30 grams+ of pure ala a day - is that correct and if yes there shouldnt be any sense in adding ala- tablets, or?

thanks a lot.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 08:01

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default ALA or CLA?

Flax oil contains ALA?

Hmmm ... Maybe CLA, as it is another fatty acid, but I wouldn't think ALA. I could be wrong though ...
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 14:00
Registered Member

Plan: Modified 'BODYOPUS'
Stats: 238/212/200
BF:22%/11%/7%
Progress: 68%

Flax oil contains- 'Alpha Linolenic Acid'. Not to be confused with 'Alpha Lipoic Acid'.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 20:01

Plan: No Grain Diet www.mercola
Stats: 181/173/173 Male 72"
BF:18/12/10
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeus
Flax oil contains- 'Alpha Linolenic Acid'. Not to be confused with 'Alpha Lipoic Acid'.

OK, I am still not clear on why exacly one should use ALA. ALA functions as a powerful antioxidant, combating freeradical in the body. Also, Lipoic Acid normalizes blood sugar levels.

Lipoic Acid (300 - 600 mg per day) reduces Insulin Resistance (i.e. it increases Insulin sensitivity).

What does this have to do with CKD?? Furthermore, why would one want to take this after a workout, as someone had suggested to help 'spike insulin levels.' I don't see any evidence as this being a property of ALA, granted it is a very healthy product with many uses, I just don't see how it fits in the CKD, other than maybe help establishing Ketosis after carb-up.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 20:30
Registered Member

Plan: Modified 'BODYOPUS'
Stats: 238/212/200
BF:22%/11%/7%
Progress: 68%

Quote:
OK, I am still not clear on why exacly one should use ALA. ALA functions as a powerful antioxidant, combating freeradical in the body. Also, Lipoic Acid normalizes blood sugar levels.

Lipoic Acid (300 - 600 mg per day) reduces Insulin Resistance (i.e. it increases Insulin sensitivity).

What does this have to do with CKD?? Furthermore, why would one want to take this after a workout, as someone had suggested to help 'spike insulin levels.' I don't see any evidence as this being a property of ALA, granted it is a very healthy product with many uses, I just don't see how it fits in the CKD, other than maybe help establishing Ketosis after carb-up.

-I'll just answer your question with what Lyle McDonald said about it in his book ('The Ketogenic Diet'):

"Alpha lipoic acid is a substance which acts as an anti-oxidant as well as improving insulin sensitivity and the removal of glucose from the bloodstream. Although human data on the effects of alpha lipoic acid is limited, anecdotal evidence suggests that lipoic acid is far more potent than either chromium or vanadyl. In this respect it is considered one of the best supplements to use on a carb-up- Typical doses for lipoic acid during carb-ups are 1.2-2 grams total taken in divided doses."

-I don't know if this answers your question(s). If it doesn't, let me just tell you 'it works' (it just does).
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 21:51

Plan: No Grain Diet www.mercola
Stats: 181/173/173 Male 72"
BF:18/12/10
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeus

-I'll just answer your question with what Lyle McDonald said about it in his book ('The Ketogenic Diet'):

"Alpha lipoic acid is a substance which acts as an anti-oxidant as well as improving insulin sensitivity and the removal of glucose from the bloodstream. Although human data on the effects of alpha lipoic acid is limited, anecdotal evidence suggests that lipoic acid is far more potent than either chromium or vanadyl. In this respect it is considered one of the best supplements to use on a carb-up- Typical doses for lipoic acid during carb-ups are 1.2-2 grams total taken in divided doses."

-I don't know if this answers your question(s). If it doesn't, let me just tell you 'it works' (it just does).

Thanks for the info, Zues, this makes sense to me, there is ALA in the creatine that I take when I carb-up (400mg per serving). This clarifies things, I still don't see any use for taking immediately after a workout, and the fact that it removes glucose from your blood stream, I think this would do the opposite, the reason I say this is because someone told me it was reccomended to take ALA immediately after a workout (along with your Whey) and it would help absorbtion. I was the one who posted the 'Peanut Butter Trick,' so reportedly a mouthfull of peanut butter for 1 minute invokes an insuling response in your body, so this was a way to raise insulin, to force protein into your muscles after a workout, without ingesting carbs. Of course you don't swallow the PB, just put in mouth for a minute and spit.

K, Cheers All, hope we all have an awesome Carb-Up weekend!! I am planning on Cinnamon Toast Crunch, don't know about you guys though.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-02, 05:41

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default good call

Good catch Zeus.

We use the abbreviations LA and LnA when talking about Linoleic Acid and Linolenic Acid. From that , I forgot that the Alpha is at the beginning. LOL.

You are right. Flax oil contains Alpha Linoleic Acid. Much different than Alpha Lipoic Acid ... even though they are both good.

All these abbreviations can make your heaad spin. LOL.