Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-08-19, 02:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/167/160 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Atkins Mo says hello

Good morning,

I have been a successful ‘Atkineer’ for many years. This morning, doing an internet search as suddenly I have (slightly) low Neutrophils, and I wondered if this my be a ‘normal’ response to long term Atkins dieting, and I came across a couple of postings on this forum. So I decided to join. And lo and behold, it turns out that somebody else had my user name - but actually, it is me.

Two things were nice about that, first, I have lost another 12 pounds or so since I first tried to join, second, I looked out more carefully for the welcome email to complete my registration, and sure enough, it was in my ‘Junk Box’ so now I’m here!

I first followed Dr Atkins Diet back in the 80s. It was stunningly successful, I lost all my excess weight, loved the food, but honestly believed that the diet was inherently unhealthy in the long term, so went back to a ‘normal’ diet, put all the weight back on, plus interest, and became slowly less and less healthy.

By the time I decided to follow Atkins again, as the only diet that had ever been successful for me, I had the foresight to go out and buy ‘New Atkins for a New You’ and there for me to read was all the actual science that I needed to feel confident in following the diet for ever, so here I am now, an Atkins ‘lifer’ - still a few pounds away from my target weight, but that’s only a number.

So, as well as losing 55lbs or so, I have eliminated all my medication, for Blood Pressure, the dreaded PPIs for gastric reflux, and my troublesome IBS is a thing of the distant past. And of course my ‘pre-diabetic’ HbA1c levels are history!

I don’t weigh food, I don’t measure and work out macros, I just eat real food, meat, fish, eggs, cheese, healthy fat, above ground vegetables and salad, and some nuts. Oh, and I enjoy a glass or two of red wine or a gin with frozen berries and fizzy water. I avoid all processed foods and particularly artificial sweeteners.

I have read all the ‘important books’ relating to LCHF, I follow Prof Tim Noakes who has been heroic in recent years in promoting the Low Carb life, at great personal cost, Zoe Harcombe, Richard Bernstein, Dr David Unwin, David Perlmutter etc etc etc.

I am a little perplexed about this Neutrophils thing, but it is only slightly low. My doctor (who is lovely but doesn’t understand LCHF) wants to refer me to a haematologist.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-08-19, 05:24

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 215/197.2/195 Male 73.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

Welcome...back It is always great to have folks who have stuck with it over the long term give us their secrets (I know, no secrets just discipline). This is my third time as I tend to do well in hard low carb, but then lose discipline when I hit my goal and find myself needing to come back when my 36 inch pants start to shrink.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-08-19, 05:28

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Welcome! Reading up on Neutrophil. I love doing internet searches as it seems always the causes for almost any condition is CANCER. ha! We'll hope you get to the bottom of the diagnosis

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutrophil
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-08-19, 06:38

Plan: Higher P/Moderate F + C
Stats: 152/146.6/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 25%

Welcome to the group!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-08-19, 09:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/143/125 Female 63
BF:33.2/28.7%/24%
Progress: 40%

AtkinsMo ! Welcome. Like you I was a member many years prior to joining again and lo and behold there I was. 😂. I love this forum and all the members. A wealth of information and so much we all can learn. Sounds like you have your plan lined up. 💪🏼 Enjoy your journey to Good health. Good luck.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-08-19, 09:25

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Welcome back!!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-08-19, 14:17

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

I enjoyed reading your impressive intro. Dr. Atkins is one of my lifetime heroes, and all the LC variations since him are just...more science.

As for neutrophils--I checked out the Wikipedia, but got bogged down. "Slightly" low doesn't seem like much to worry about, especially since fewer neutrophils might (totally off the wall layperson's idea!) signal an absence of inflammation, which is one of the benefits of Low-carb eating.

Let us know what you find out.

Best wishes.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-08-19, 14:26

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

P. S. Neutrophils. I was curious, so I checked the result of my very recent blood tests. My neutrophils are "slightly low" as well, according to the "normal" parameters given. If my doc brings it up, I'll compare notes with you. Meanwhile, all other stats are extremely healthy, and this 72-y/o is fine with that.