Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 15:16

Plan: carbohydrate addicts plan
Stats: 170/162/135 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 23%

Hi, I'm in Ottawa too west-end. Have just started CAD. I still get hungry late am and afternoon. Not supposed to eat in between meals. Does anyone have any tips?
I have been eating the Aitkins Banana Nut muffins--they are 2 Carbs each. I like them.
Thanks for the information about diet drinks and Grannys at Hazeldean. Will check them out.
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 15:33

BF:

Optimize here again. I'm just figuring out how these threads work. Didn't think my last reply was on this thread so tried again.
Anyway thanks Froufie for the welcome and information. Its great to be able to read through the pages and find some good information.
  #108   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 00:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/148/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Bettys Light Bread

And just when I thought I had it all figured out..
Can anyone explain to me how Betty's Light Bread is 4 carbs per slice? Just wondering because I looked today and it said 13g per slice minus a small amount of fiber that didn't work out (when subtracted) to 4. Is there more than one Betty's Light Bread? The one I looked at was, I believe, whole wheat.
Would appreciate any explanation that allows me to have a slice (lol)Thanks :-)
  #109   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 06:19
Registered Member

Plan: my own adapted
Stats: 210/187/127 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 28%

Hi there: I just checked the package and the nutritional information is for 2 slices = one serving. Therefore, you have divide the net carbs by 2 to get the amount for one slice; i.e., (13 - 5.2) / 2 = 3.9

Regards
  #110   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 08:14
Registered Member

BF:
Wink Betty's Light Bread..the sequel

WOW..thanks goodn. I REALLY ought to get more sleep. After I eat some Betty's Light Bread, that is ...
  #111   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 19:05

BF:

Great--I will be buying some Bettys lite as wels.
Anyone who is doing CAD--I assume this means you could have a slice or two at lunch to make a sandwhich.
Would you have to be at goal before using bread at all.
I have just brought a new low carb cookbook by the Eades. They have a reciepe for almost no carb bread. I am going to try it once I purchase the ingredients. Carbs Are 2.7 per slice--just a little less than Bettys.
  #112   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 19:15

Stats: 220/182.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:alot!
Progress: 50%

While the slices of Betty's Light are not as large as regular bread it works in a pinch....last week I had real French toast (2 slices)...altho I usually just have one slice to save on carbs. I count it as 4 carbs per slice as per the above calculation.

I love that it's easily available and not expensive like other so called low carb products (now don't anyone tell the makers of the bread or they'll raise the price and start marketing it as a lc special ticket item!).

froufie
  #113   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 14:04
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/193/150 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 39%

I am so glad people are chatting about the products here. I purchased an Atkins bar at Westgate mall and I don't get how they say it is only net 3 Atkins.
When I look at the back....
It is an advantage Pralines n' Creme bar. The back sayser 1 bar Carbs 20grms and the dietary fibre is .1g which in my calculation for PP would mean it is 19.9g per bar and way out of wack for a meal replacement. I can only have 10g per meal.

Help!

I bought another bar called LC Lean Body Chocolate peanutbutter by Labrada at the Westgate mall and it has the following on the back:
per one bar
Carbs 2gs Fibre 1g for a 1gram carb per bar! How can that be? And ....
This bar is twice the size of the Atkins Advantage!

I really want to eat these but not sure if I am sabatoging and need help ASAP. Thanks in advance!
  #114   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 17:27

Plan: Atkins and South Beach
Stats: 138/138/110 Female 5'2 1/2"
BF:
Progress:
Talking Recipe for LC Bread

Optimize, I sure hope after you taste the bread you will post the recipe? Have you tried it yet? How are the other recipes?

Jen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimize
Great--I will be buying some Bettys lite as wels.
Anyone who is doing CAD--I assume this means you could have a slice or two at lunch to make a sandwhich.
Would you have to be at goal before using bread at all.
I have just brought a new low carb cookbook by the Eades. They have a reciepe for almost no carb bread. I am going to try it once I purchase the ingredients. Carbs Are 2.7 per slice--just a little less than Bettys.
  #115   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-03, 13:57
Registered Member

BF:
Default NET carb count

Know what you mean Bess. Those labels can be really confusing, and since they keep changing the regulations on how to report carbs on a label, it's really annoying as well. I'd suggest you go to http://atkins.com/Archive/2002/1/5-553235.html to have a look at what Atkins has to say about carbs on labels. There's a lot on his site about it actually, at www.atkins.com. Just do a search for any questions you have.
The Pralines 'n Cream bar, for example, is made up largely of sugar alcohols (the *ols like malitol, sorbitol, etc) which supposedly do not raise blood sugar in a substantial way. However, some people are more affected by sugar alcohols just like some people's blood sugars are more affected by aspartame than others. Same goes for glycerin. Of course, as I said, the more detailed explanations of these are on the Atkins website which says "We do use fiber and other carbohydrates, such as sugar alcohols, that have a minimal impact on blood sugar and thus fit the Atkins definition of a "non-digestible" or net carb. Atkins foods are also sweetened primarily with sucralose (SplendaTM brand), the only non-caloric sweetener derived from sugar, so it tastes just like sugar." So in the bar you have you can deduct not only the dietary fiber but the sugar alcohols and glycerin as well.
The problem, for me, is that nobody lists the AMOUNT of glycerin and sugar alcohols, so that unless they do as Atkins does and put the NET carbs on the label, it's impossible to determine how much there is. I know there is SOME in there based on the fact that they are on the ingredient list, and the order they come in the list lets me know if there's a little or a lot, but again that doesn't say much. For instance, very little aspartame goes a long long way so the TINY amount in sugar-free jello is what sweetens the whole package. I wish they would break down the amounts in the way they do for fiber so we could just deduct the entire amounts fromt he total carb count. I've taken to writing down new bars when I see them, looking them up online until I find the net carb count, then going back to buy them if they are suitable.
Anyway, sure hope this helps you Bess. Remember that Atkins doesn't recommend more than one of those bars per day though. Even if you are one of the fortunate who's blood sugar isn't highly affected, they can stimulate a craving for sweet things again, something we all know is best avoided ;-). But as a treat, I love them...along with those terriffic Peanut Butter Cups..those are just TOO good lol. Take care, best of luck.
  #116   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 18:27

BF:

Jennie0923--haven't had a chance to make the bread yet. Will post reciepe if it is good, however if anyone would like the receipe I can post it anytime.
There are a lot of good receipes in the cookbook.
Some of them are high calorie even though they are low carb so the authors suggest you do not use them until you have lost your weight or only for a treat.
Good luck.
  #117   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 21:43

Plan: healthy eating/water/walk
Stats: 163/155/120 Female 5'4 and 1/2
BF:?/28%/20%
Progress: 19%

It's nice to read people in my area doing the LC thing...that whole, "it's nice to know I'm normal" thing I guess
-mildwild

oh yea, and bread? youz guyz are braaaaaavvvvveeee.
  #118   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 11:44

Stats: 220/182.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:alot!
Progress: 50%

More products available in ottawa - I was recently downtown and saw in the window of the GNC at Bank (and Laurier) a banner that said "Low Carb Headquarters"...had to stop in.

Found LOW CARB TORTILLAS!!!!! Have not tried them yet, but I have heard they are good....bought one package plain (whole wheat) and one herb/garlic flavor. Can't wait to try some wraps or fajitas! They also had Ketogenics mixes (bread, cookies, muffins)....I bought a box of lc chocolate chip and lc blueberry. The chocolate chips ones are pretty good, but I still prefer the atkins banana nut ones I think. They also have lc granola cereal (which is still pretty high in carbs - I am also leery of not counting sugar alcohols and try to avoid them if possible), and my favorite Flaxomeal cereals.

I have also recently found Flaxomeal and Atkins mixes (muffins, pancakes/waffles, brownies) at the Kardish on Bank St south - past Hunt Club road. Bought the butter pecan and strawberry and cream flavors - both VERY GOOD! (I add some cream and splenda). They have soy tortilla chips but at 8 carbs per serving I would pass. They had other mixes/brands as well, worth checking out.

Will keep you posted on any other finds. I understand Weston bakeries will be making Atkins bread available here in January - will have to see how it compares to the Betty's Light!

Froufie
  #119   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 12:46

Plan: healthy eating/water/walk
Stats: 163/155/120 Female 5'4 and 1/2
BF:?/28%/20%
Progress: 19%

Hi froufie,
I've stopped by the GNC not too long ago and saw the headquarters thing. I was just wondering if you could tell me if the Ketogenics or the lc chocolate chip (muffins are they??) have any sugar alcohols? I wanted to get some, but can't stand the sugar alcohols (they are carbs...period.)anyway..any info would help...thanks
-mildwild
  #120   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 15:20

Plan: atkin's
Stats: 325/280/225 Male 6'1
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default Thanks

Thank you for this great thread. Ive been searching all over for LC items in Ottawa.