Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-07, 14:42

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarabel
Hi, I'm in London

Good to find a UK thread though it doesn't seem to be very active. I'm half way through week three and haven't had any slips but went a bit heavy on the dairy at the weekend, which I'm regretting. I'm on a sort of hybrid atkins. Started off thinking I'd just do a sort of maintenance level low-carb looking to lose slowly but found I gravitated naturally to a much stricter regime. I'm looking to keep carbs at 20g or less a day.

Does anyone here eat much cream?

Hi Clarabell
Welcome to our little corner of the board!

I dont eat much cream - only when I use it in cooking for quiches etc, but one USA member (ElleH) even drinks about half a cups'worth each day and still loses weight!

In DANDR 2002 we are allowed on induction
Quote:
cream (heavy or light); limit to two to three tablespoons a day;
as a regular food item but also now and again what he calles 'special category' foods
Quote:
To add variety, each day you can also eat ten to twenty olives, half a small avocado, one ounce of sour cream or three ounces of unsweetened heavy cream, as well as two to three tablespoons of lemon juice or lime juice. But be aware that these foods occasionally slow down weight loss in some people, and may need to be avoided in the first two weeks. If you seem to be losing slowly, moderate your intake of these foods.
These extra foods are an either/or option as I read it so we can choose one of these if we are not stalled by them.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Oct-22-07, 06:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins variation
Stats: 189/175/138 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 27%

Hi Elizellen

Hmm, I might be a slow loser. I think that small dents and hollows are beginning to appear, though, so will try not to focus on the scales and actual pounds lost. Have already cut back on the cream, but it does provide some sort of treat for those occasional times when I could do with one. I generally take a couple of dessertspoonsful of organic double or cornish clotted and sprinkle with some chocolate whey protein powder and that keeps me happy as I think I'll be on on induction for months at this rate.

Thanks for your reply though. I looked up your pics and must say you are inspiring. Your loss is so impressive and your picture progress is a revelation. Congratulations. Must also say, the flax bread looks absolutely delicious.

What kind of exercise do you do? I'm walking at least 10 miles a week and thinking about doing some weights at the gym.

I'm 53 and can't help wondering if age might be slowing my progress. Would be very interested to know if your loss was more dramatic at the beginning then slowed or if there were peaks and troughs. I seemed to lose 7lbs the first 10 days then suddenly put 3lbs back on although I hadn't cheated apart from two small glasses of red wine on the 16th day of the diet. In other words, two days after induction.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-07, 14:55

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarabel
Hi Elizellen

Hmm, I might be a slow loser. I think that small dents and hollows are beginning to appear, though, so will try not to focus on the scales and actual pounds lost. Have already cut back on the cream, but it does provide some sort of treat for those occasional times when I could do with one. I generally take a couple of dessertspoonsful of organic double or cornish clotted and sprinkle with some chocolate whey protein powder and that keeps me happy as I think I'll be on on induction for months at this rate.

Thanks for your reply though. I looked up your pics and must say you are inspiring. Your loss is so impressive and your picture progress is a revelation. Congratulations. Must also say, the flax bread looks absolutely delicious.

What kind of exercise do you do? I'm walking at least 10 miles a week and thinking about doing some weights at the gym.

I'm 53 and can't help wondering if age might be slowing my progress. Would be very interested to know if your loss was more dramatic at the beginning then slowed or if there were peaks and troughs. I seemed to lose 7lbs the first 10 days then suddenly put 3lbs back on although I hadn't cheated apart from two small glasses of red wine on the 16th day of the diet. In other words, two days after induction.
Hi Clarabell Thank you for the kind compliments
I didnt do any exercise except for walking maybe an hour most days till I had got down to about half my original weight, but I really think that if I had joined the gym earlier it would have improved my shrinking!

I have been going to the gym three times a week doing weights plus cardio for about 18 months now and though since starting the gym I have put on weight gradually I have lost two dress sizes!!

As to my pattern of losing, I am afraid I didnt really keep much of a record of daily/weekly changes in the beginning, but looking back on my fitday entries it looks as if I lost 70 pounds or so in the the first year, so fairly slowly compared to others who exercise more intensely.

After the first year it slowed down even more
30 pounds in 6 months
20 pounds in 6 months
16 pounds in 6 months
5 pounds in one year - then up about 10 pounds in the last 10 months even though I am losing inches!!

Here is a screenshot of my fitday weight log graph
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-08, 11:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/166.5/135 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hi Clarabel,

Like you I'm in my early 50's and have found my weight loss much slower than in my younger years. I was able to really concentrate on diet and exercise in September and daily exercise helped me shift more pounds more noticeably. I've also found that sticking to low fat snacks has helped me get past some of the plateaus. Walking is fantastic! I regain weight regardless of diet when I stop exercising! Have you found that?
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-08, 05:54
Registered Member

Plan: no specific plan
Stats: 250/196/180 Male 5ft 6
BF:too much
Progress: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by niknak
I just went over to the UK forum and it is dead, dead, dead! Is there anyone out there from the UK?

hi niknak
i'm in the uk....wembley in fact
how ru?
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-08, 06:12
Registered Member

Plan: no specific plan
Stats: 250/196/180 Male 5ft 6
BF:too much
Progress: 77%
Default older and fatter?

i think it is harder to lose and maintain one's weight when one gets older.
I for example am 40 and my highest weight has been just over 17 st.
i try to eat so called "healthy" but i have a weakness for crisps and chocolate, Cornish pasties and the occasional full English breakfast on a Sunday.
now i don't believe there is anything wrong in eating those foods as long as we back it up with regular exercise
and that is where i stumble because i don't take enough regular exercise these days.
not that i am lazy, i just don't enjoy long walks...i wouldn't mind if i had someone to join me who like me is overweight and wants to get fit.
but walking on my own i find boring.
so this may sound unpractical
but i choose to sit down and play my drum kit sometimes for 2-3 hours
or if i feel uninspired, then less.
when i really get into it, and work up a sweat, i don't feel so guilty to go and lay down and watch tv after my evening meal.
my mum used to say that it is better to let your food digest before taking exercise...i think there is some wisdom in that, but in my case i feel guilty if i sit down after a meal in the evening because i worry that the weight will just pile on...but i find that if it does, it's only a tad but i still keep an eye on myself to make sure my weight isn't increasing.
i was thinking to myself this morning whilst i was cooking my breakfast(4 eggs scrambled, 4 pork sausages grilled in the oven,2 sliced tomatoes, 7 slices of toast with low fat butter, brown sauce and brown pickle on the side)
how good it would be to eat till my heart is content and not have to worry about my weight!

Last edited by fatn38 : Sun, Jan-06-08 at 06:22.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jan-08-08, 03:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/197.6/154 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

Hi Niknak,

I am from the south west, Paignton in Devon. Anyone else from down this part of the country?
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-08, 16:45

Plan: IF
Stats: 350/235/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:generous
Progress: 57%

I am currently in London.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-08, 16:25

Plan: Atkins(maintenance)
Stats: 154/128/128 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I am from the south west, Paignton in Devon. Anyone else from down this part of the country?

Hey Jacs, I'm from Barnstaple