Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-19, 06:12

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%
Default Whole Milk back in school lunches?

Just checking our local news headlines this morning and came across this article: https://www.phillyvoice.com/milk-sc...ey-legislation/

Unfortunately, it looks like the reason behind is not a rethinking on fat. Instead, it looks like an attempt to increase milk's palatability (in an attempt to increase dairy sales).

Last edited by tess9132 : Thu, Jun-13-19 at 06:47.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-19, 09:12

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Making real milk available in schools once again is a GOOD thing!

I agree that full-fat and 2% milk are more palatable to kids. But I don't think making kid's school milk options more palatable will sharply increase dairy sales. My experience (as a former teacher) is that school lunches come loaded with a carton of milk on the tray whether the kid wants it or not. He/She can choose between the available options but he/she cannot simply decline. The milk comes with the tray. Period.

So, the number of cartons of milk handed out with school lunches depends on the number of school lunches served, not on how tasty the particular types of milk put on the trays is.

However, with even the poorest kids, unless they are literally starving, if they don't like what is on the school lunch tray, they toss it out uneaten. I suspect that a huge percentage of those cartons of fat-free and 1% milk currently being distributed wind up getting tossed in the trash, oftentimes without ever being opened. But those trashed cartons of milk don't affect dairy industry sales figures.

So, I think the real hope is that if kids are given more palatable real or 2% milk options, they'll actually DRINK more of it thereby actually consuming the vitamins and minerals milk contains. For many children, especially those living in poverty, a daily dose of real milk could make a substantial difference in their health.

I hope the bill passes.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-19, 11:05

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Of course, for the kids already tossing their milk cartons what are the chances that they will continue to toss, either not realizing or not caring that a change has been made. If they have already decided that they don't like milk they aren't very likely to try again just because it is better for them.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-19, 12:55

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

One hopes that the kids will continue to be given a choice so that those who actually like fat free or 1% milk can continue to get what they like.

Among the rest, at least a few of the kids sometimes have whole milk at home and know the difference between watery tasteless fat free stuff and real milk. If those few start asking for whole milk and enthusiastically drinking it, maybe their friends will notice and follow suit....and at least give the "new" milk options a try.

More and more studies are showing that kids who drink whole milk have lower BMIs and higher levels of vitamin D than those who drink fat-free or 1% milk.

Unfortunately, the Obama led legislation that led to only skim milk or 1% milk being offered on school lunches was another example of governmental good intentions going awry.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-19, 12:55

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

After witnessing many schools providing fat free flavored (chocolate) milk to students, this is a vast improvement. The alternative was simply sugared water, which in my opinion, should be totally eliminated.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-19, 09:42

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Our local Aldi's now has whole milk yogurt, even in single servings.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-19, 18:24

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

What needs eliminating is the sugar laden chocolate milk. I didnt know school offered it for years. My son choose the chocolate of course and no matter how much I talked to his teachers they would not oversee a plain whole milk choice..... afterall, teachers didnot go to lunch with the students, only the aides.

My kids are teens now and dont get milk at school at all.... just lots of sugar. They drink water.

Im glad the little ones can get whole plain milk....I had to argue with pediatrition when she pushed for 2 percent.....the 2 percent was a givernment ploy to reduce calories......

Fortunately I had read DANDR and didnt beleive fat was the cause of obesity.....and that children need the fats for brain development.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-19, 19:08

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear

Really? In plain? I need that while I'm traveling later this summer.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-24-19, 03:22

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
Really? In plain? I need that while I'm traveling later this summer.

I buy the quarts of whole milk plain greek yogurt at aldi, and saw the quarts of whole milk plain regular yogurt - will need to look for the single serving size!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-24-19, 03:51

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
I buy the quarts of whole milk plain greek yogurt at aldi, and saw the quarts of whole milk plain regular yogurt - will need to look for the single serving size!
Is this the one?

whole milk plain yogurt

ingredients look good!

Simply Nature whole milk plain yogurt.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-24-19, 15:04

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
Is this the one?

whole milk plain yogurt

ingredients look good!

Simply Nature whole milk plain yogurt.
The only criticism I have with the ingredients in that one is that they use pectin in it. Nothing wrong with pectin as such - just that it's not a naturally occurring ingredient in yogurt, and if you ever try to strain a yogurt made with one of those ingredients (in order to make greek yogurt or yo-cheese), it won't strain properly - I remember trying one time and it all just runs straight through the strainer.

The one I buy is just the regular (non-organic) Happy Farms plain TRADITIONAL GREEK yogurt. I'm assuming the traditional simply refers to it not being the new-fangled fat free version. It has the live and active cultures in it of course. However, it's made from skim milk, and cream. I'm sure using skim milk with added cream is simply a cheaper way to make it. (I certainly can't complain about the price - on a budget here)