Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-16, 22:48

Plan: Keto <38 carbs daily
Stats: 316/287.2/132 Female 64
BF:Isn't It Obvious?!
Progress: 16%
Default Fibro and Pain

Hello all.
I've had fibro for about 4 1/2 years now. Always a struggle. I don't take Med except occasional ibuprofen. I try to take supplements, b-12, turmeric, ginger root, drink mint tea for energy. I use several essential oils for pain.

Wondered when on LC if anyone has to steer clear of certain foods that make you hurt more? I know sugar and carbs make me hurt but wondered if certain normal LC foods still did? I've read members of the nightshade family can cause problems but have never cut them out and seen a difference. I'd love if others would share.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-16, 09:51
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

It was true in my case, only it was everything I was currently eating on LC I was intolerant to. My gut was a mess, probably from NSAIDs like you're taking. Anyway, I got off the NSAIDs and took some supplements to heal my gut, and my pain reduced enormously. I also changed my diet 100%. Changed what meat I was eating, etc.

I went on vacation and that messed me up again so back to square one. :-)
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-16, 09:55

Nancy, what did you use to heal gut? I don't have many stomach problems. Just the pain of fibro. I've been pickling cucs and need to make my kombucha and ferment somethings and take my probiotics which should all help with gut.

So no specific foods that cause pain? Just want to know what to watch for...
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-16, 11:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

The ibus may, ultimately, do you more harm than help. They tend to suppress inflammation, then it rebounds, eventually.

I was using the occasional naproxen for my TBI headaches, but I have gone to just acetaminophen (tylenol). They're for pain relief, but they're not anti inflammatory, so they don't have that particular side effect.

You'll probably have to do what so many of us do: figure out by self-testing what increases pain and what doesn't.

Once I got completely off all grains, just minute amounts of grains, especially wheat products, can cause terrible joint pain for me.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-16, 12:50
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICanDoThis
Nancy, what did you use to heal gut? I don't have many stomach problems. Just the pain of fibro. I've been pickling cucs and need to make my kombucha and ferment somethings and take my probiotics which should all help with gut.

So no specific foods that cause pain? Just want to know what to watch for...

L-Glutamine, Aloe Vera juice, DGL (google that), Quercitin and Bromeline. My gut symptoms were things like IBS which I know a lot of people suffer with without really asking why.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-16, 14:20

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Healing the gut is a 2 step process. First you have to remove all the foods and drugs that are causing the problems. Gut problems can manifest in all sorts of way, not just gut issues. It is generally proteins that cause inflammation that leads to these problems. The most common proteins that cause trouble are gluten, casein in dairy, soy and other legumes and eggs. I don't eat any of these. I also don't eat beef or chicken. After you eliminate the problem causing foods you can start experimenting with the kinds of supplements that Nancy has found helpful. I was able to heal my gut by permanently eliminating the problem causing foods. It's been over 4 years now.

There's information from a woman who recovered from fibro through diet. You can read about it here on dietdoctor.com

http://www.dietdoctor.com/best-of-all-free-of-pain

Jean
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-18-16, 09:12
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

increases pain for me: tomatoes, citrus, soy.

Healed gut by doing an elimination diet, adding digestive enzymes and betaine hcl with every meal and using probiotics. Gradually increased foods. Still can't eat onions, but can eat a small amount of garlic.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-16, 22:57

I don't have IBS so haven't had to deal with that aspect. Just days of unexplained pain where I know I've eaten healthy the day before. And I know pain can increase and diminish daily. Just wanted to watch out for foods that can cause extra pain. I really don't eat tomatoes ever. But peppers are in my salad, although probably only like 1/5 of a pepper is all.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-16, 03:48

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

That FREE on-line seminar on Fibro started yesterday...can still watch the first day now and likely some talks will be repeated on an "encore day". Sign up here: http://fibrofixsummit.com
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-16, 13:04

Thank you Janet, i'll check it out.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-16, 08:12

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

I found years ago when I did the original '72 Atkins diet all my fibro pain completely disappeared. This was before Atkins bars, before 'net carbs', before trying to wriggle it around.

And it was before being diagnosed with fibro. I just knew the constant pain and pressure point pain, fog, stomach pain and tiredness, but I didn't know what it was.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-09-16, 08:16
Experimenter

BF:

It doesn't usually happen that my pain necessarily increases the next day, sometimes it takes two days. But wow... what a difference diet makes in my daily pain.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-30-16, 17:01
Craft Ninja!

Plan: Dr. Atkins/Dr. Westman
Stats: 204/194/169 Female 5'6" inches
BF:high wght over 204
Progress: 29%

Popcorn. I know it's not low carb, but that is my worst and fastest pain trigger! It happens within a few hours. Then sugar. I haven't noticed low carb foods that make my fibro worse. I always feel better removing carbs, especially white carbs from my diet.