Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-19, 03:54

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dr Bret Scher at DietDoctor writes about this new study ( why not try it? ) with links back to that good series on pain relief at CrownMD.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/nutritional-pain-relief
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-19, 04:44

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Interesting. I just had the experience of my left knee acting up in a way it never had (have arthritis and bone spurs in this knee and flat out am missing cartilage in some places but it isn't as bad as my right, and I never had the pain in this knee that I had had in my right - where I tore the meniscus) - to the point of me waking up in pain at night, unable to sleep on my side, really gnarly pain (except when up and walking). Being my stubborn self, I didn't want to see my doctor about this (enough else going on). It lasted so long I thought it might be a permanent change and wasn't dealing the best with it.

Then I went back onto my way of dieting for Lent, a strict commitment, and within a few days, it began to resolve. It is now about 99% resolved, and that lack of pain, fear of it returning, might be enough to keep me going on this after Lent is over. Besides the wonderful benefit of seeing my weight drop, my energy level beginning to improve.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-19, 05:01

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

That CrownMD series has fascinating reasons I had not read before why low carb could reduce pain...even in non-weight bearing joints. Over the holidays I too went "off the low carb ranch" and my knee arthritis returned. Years ago heard an interview with a doctor who said the people who can commit to Low Carb long-term are those who have immediate negative feedback...i.e. eat carbs, their GERD or arthritis return. Maybe come up with another long distance goal to continue on after Easter Sunday? I've got a big milestone HS reunion in October
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-19, 05:21

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I have arthritis in my fingers, or at least I did, and they are permanently a little deformed but I no longer have any pain and they have not progressed at all in years. I credit low carb for stopping the progression and eliminating the pain. Since I have not been known to walk on my hands, my fingers are not weight bearing except for a bit of heavy lifting every now and again.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-19, 06:23

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I was waking up in the night because my hands hurt so much. Low carb and gluten free resolved it, and the lower the carbs go, the more my joints like it.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-19, 06:41

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
“Diet is a great way to reduce the use of pain relievers and to improve general health,” Sorge said. “Diet will never ‘cure’ pain, but our work suggests it can reduce it to the point where it does not interfere with daily activities to a high degree.”

Seems to me, though maybe Im wrong, that all our collective examples correlating low carb to pain indicates low carb IS the cure. The author doesnt want to get on the low carb bandwagon and give LC its due.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-19, 06:56

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Years ago heard an interview with a doctor who said the people who can commit to Low Carb long-term are those who have immediate negative feedback...i.e. eat carbs, their GERD or arthritis return.
It's so obvious now that I see it in print, I can't believe I didn't pick up on this sooner. Getting immediate relief from low carb is, of course, the difference between my husband and me and the reason why I have stuck with low carb and he (who is a much more disciplined person than I) can't. My joint pain comes back with a vengeance if I eat carbs, but all his little issues - his patch of psoriasis, his mild reflux, his high blood pressure, etc. - they just don't smack him in the face in the way joint pain does.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-19, 07:17

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Tess, tell him that mild reflux is the road to esophageal cancer and see if those little issues become his wake up call.

-------

My mother 's diet took a natural path change to whole foods, and generally eating far less, and higher quality foods. Her weight dropped to her early 20's weight. She is happy now with her mild psoriasis after a life time of severity, yet her breast cancer returned... and her psoriasis continues. Along with a drink every night. That alcohol runs to the front of the line and interferes with ketosis and fasting. SHe eats almonds to prevent breast cancer but cant see the effect of that one drink.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-19, 08:48

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

This is both encouraging and confirming. Like others, I started to develop pain and stiffness in my finger joints and lower back before I adopted a strict low carb WOE. I no longer have any of that, and I'm hoping that the progression was halted and I caught it in time to avoid any issues in the future. Prescriptions simply mask the symptoms and pain and don't correct root cause, an understatement for those on this forum, but more need to become aware of the influence of a healthy lifestyle. One piece of valuable information at a time.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-19, 05:46

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Seems to me, though maybe Im wrong, that all our collective examples correlating low carb to pain indicates low carb IS the cure. The author doesnt want to get on the low carb bandwagon and give LC its due.

True. They could lose their medical reputation and job so must be cautious in what they can say.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-19, 17:26

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Sugar and wheat are highly inflammatory.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-19, 12:29
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm sure carbs are pretty inflammatory, but grains and potatoes seem to make things 1000% worse! And corn... ugh. I should call corn the cripple grain. Eating lots of salmon and veggies seem to keep my joints from being too painful.