Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-08, 07:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/140/120 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 56%
Default Help...Need advice

First off, I never dreamed in a million years I would have a problem like this...

When I started Atkins my goal was 120. I picked that weight because of my age (54) and height (5'2"). I blew thru 120 and continued to lose even though I keep upping my carbs. My ideal weight in my younger years was bouncing between 107 and 110. Considering my age I feel a healthy weight for me is 115.

I am afraid now of looking anorexic. I eat a lot and have even added things like rice to my diet. For instance for lunch yesterday I had a chicken thigh, 4 babyback ribs (leftovers from Chili's), rice and sauteed mushrooms. I even haven't exercised the past 3 days.

I am still losing weight!! What is going on??? And how do I stop it? Is my body trying to go to my ideal weight of 108?

What should I add to my diet?? Help!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-08, 08:15

Plan: Atkins (Strict Induction)
Stats: 183/120/115 Female 5'7.5"
BF:21.6%
Progress: 93%

I hear what you are saying here as I experienced the same exact thing this past summer, reaching a low of 103-106. I was also way too skinny! My body is all screwed up though with hypothyroidism and insulin resistance and I in turned ended up gaining too much. I do not know what to tell you ... I was chowing down an entire LC cheesecake in two days quite often last summer and the scale kept moving lower. I wish you the best and keep us posted! Jill
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-08, 08:25

BF:

Thanks for responding. I felt like an idiot posting on a weight loss forum about losing too much weight. But I figured this has had to happen to others. There's comfort knowing you have been thru this too.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-08, 08:37
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
don't feel like an idiot- this was an issue for me too. I went to 150 and stayed there a while- felt and looked great. Then the weight started coming off again- and when I got to 125 I decided enough was enough. I added carbs. My plan is 2 meals with just protein and veggies, and one meal balanced with carbs/protein/veggies/salad. I added extra carbs in and was able to stabilize. Give this some time- add in healthy carbs like yogurt and fruit and sweet potatoes and beets and stuff like that. If grains don't bother you add those in. Don't panic- give your body a chance to stabilize. For me, I am still OP as if I go off LC I KNOW I will be insulin resistant again.
Doesn't Atkins have a very specific way of increasing your daily carbs until you reach your preferred carb intake? Maybe pull out the books and read that again.
HTH-
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-08, 08:46

Plan: Atkins (Strict Induction)
Stats: 183/120/115 Female 5'7.5"
BF:21.6%
Progress: 93%

I know how you feel ... I wrote about it in my journal, but I cannot remember if I posted a thread about it as I would feel the same as you. Weight is something we all have in common, whether that be trying to lose or in rare cases here, gain. Feel free to stop by my journal and keep me posted. Jill

Quote:
Originally Posted by respira
Thanks for responding. I felt like an idiot posting on a weight loss forum about losing too much weight. But I figured this has had to happen to others. There's comfort knowing you have been thru this too.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-08, 08:51

Plan: Human Experimentation
Stats: 170/100/105 Female 4'10
BF:
Progress: 108%

Don't feel bad or like an idiot posting about stuff like that. It doesn't happen to everyone but it does happen. I guess sometimes the diet works too well. I find normally your body will adjust to where it wants to be.

If it does become an issue, I would just suggest adding in more whole grains, like brown rice, but don't skimp out on the fats and stuff. So it gives you some real carbs, it seems to work fairly well, that an real fruit juice or just fruit for that matter.

For me it is really hard to get away from the whole Induction thing though so I think that might be my problem, lol.

It does happen though, so you aren't alone. I eat so much and it doesn't seem to affect me.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-08, 18:02
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by respira

I agree with Eno... try adding more food (good carbs) into your plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eno
add in healthy carbs like yogurt and fruit and sweet potatoes and beets and stuff like that. If grains don't bother you add those in

There are many good and healthy carb foods that you can choose from.
If you like, you can always review the South Beach Food lists.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-08, 07:10

BF:

Thank you all so much. You are definitely all a giant help in keeping me on track. You probably know what that evil voice that lurks in the back of my mind was saying.."Just eat a bowl of ice cream every night..that will fix it."

I am going to get my Atkin's book out and take a look of healthy carbs to add.

Thank you!!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-08, 19:21

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

Is there anything else going on with you, health-wise, or just the continued weight loss? Unintentional weightloss can indicate some health problems; if it continues you may want to see your primary care provider.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-08, 06:09

BF:

I'm fine, thanks. I finally have the scale going back up in the direction to an acceptable weight. I added more healthy carbs and cut back on the exercise a bit (not sure that was a good idea...give me an excuse to not exercise and I will run with it). Thank you all for your advice, it was very helpful.