Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-19, 08:40

Plan: keto
Stats: 426/397/225 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default hello and HELP!!!!!!

Good morning all: So, I started L/C January 7. 426 pounds at that time.
I have been scrupulous about adhering to the program. I am down to 399, so that is good news, BUT I have been stuck at 399 for three weeks now.
Calorie count always under 1600, fats, protein and carbs in proportion.
I have been having bullet proof coffee for breakfast for the past week to try to get things moving along again...what to do?????

Friday 3/8.2019

I have been following the "plan" as outlined in a book by Dr. Colbert, the
Keto Zone Diet. This does extoll the virtues of additional consumption of
fat. Maybe that is the reason??

Thanks to all for the suggestions and comments.

Last edited by 2455nole : Fri, Mar-08-19 at 08:15.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-19, 08:49

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

For now, I'm just going to say Hello, and assure you that you've come to a great place to get the help you want. There are several men on this forum who started their low-carb journey about the same place you did.

So don't go away! You'll be hearing about some helpful links.

Best wishes.

P. S. Just a quick comment: LC is NOT about counting calories. At your present weight, 1600 is way low to sustain your energy, and it isn't necessary to restrict food by calorie count. For those of us who have spent a lifetime counting stuff, it's a new pattern that takes time. You might post what LC plan you are following, to help us get an idea of how you're approaching it.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-19, 09:35

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I know you're not going to want to hear this - but give it time! Enjoy other changes. Looser clothes, better sleep, etc. After being on low carb for several years, I have come to recognize when I'm due for a whoosh. Pay attention to how you're feeling and you'll begin to recognize when a whoosh is coming too! YMMV, but here are my symptoms:

Itchy skin
Squishier than normal fat, particularly in the stomach area
More obvious cellulite
Ravenously hungry (it's ok to eat, just eat on plan)
Sometimes a sweating episode or two
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-19, 11:02

Plan: Atkins/KETO/IF
Stats: 370/163/155 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 96%

Welcome! There is a great thread on this forum about how the scale can lie.

I like this Butter Bob Briggs’ video on “That Lying, Cheating, Dream Crushing Scale”- he believes a tape measure or belt is a better indicator of progress than a scale.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SnR5-SBXBc

Also, I like what Dr. Eric Berg says about how our bodies heal from the inside out, and that we don’t lose weight to get healthy, we get healthy to lose weight.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-19, 11:47

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Welcome!

I think you've gotten some great advice, especially about your calories being too low! There are a million calculators out there, but I've found this Keto Calculator to be fairly reliable. You can input some basic data and it will give you some estimates about how much you should be eating. I'm guessing you should be eating well over 2000 calories probably closer to 2500, even to lose.

Also, lots of people seem to have this "stall" around 6 to 8 weeks. You've lost a lot of weight quickly, and I think it's just your body adjusting. One thing that's tough for all of us to cope with is the idea that weight loss is not linear. You're going to bounce up and down a bit, but as long as the trend is downward, everything is okay.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-19, 11:57

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Welcome-- yes, waiting for that scale to move is very trying! Hang in there, it will eventually move again. Enjoy your progress... stick to plan and eventually the scale will move. I tell myself: Took some time to put on the adipose tissue, so expect to take some time to take off that weight.

Again welcome!!!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-19, 05:50

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome, you already have some good tips.
But I am curious about the books you read...Butter and Bacon? Maybe you could share with us exactly what you have been eating. There are many crazy plans out in "Keto World" now, when really all you need to do to be in ketosis is keep carb intake under 20g a day. If you want to burn fat from your Body, you do not need to eat any extra Dietary Fat, only the fat that comes along naturally in Real Food.

This version of Dr. Westman's Duke Clinic plan has worked for many, and it is indeed "ketogenic". https://www.dietdoctor.com/se/wp-co...starch_diet.pdf

Here is a good 7 minute video of Dr. Westman explaining What should your fat intake be on a KETO Diet?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRH...Oq&index=6&t=0s (Note: no Bulletproof Coffees)

Another good Beginners guide to Keto is at : https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/guides

Check your food list against these two plans.

Also, are you on any medication that may hinder weight loss?
https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=453311

You have found a great forum for advice. Stick around and check in with some of the guys on this board:
Grav: https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=476150
Ken: https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=475679
Thud: https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=478328

All the best,
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-19, 08:42

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Thanks for the update on your "Plan". IMHO, stay away from adding too much fat (see my links above...there are limits!) and definitely use only Real Food. You do not need MCT Oils, keto powders or or whatever this "anti-aging" doctor is trying to sell. I get angry when these guys pile into "Keto" without them understanding the past 20 years of clinical research by Phinney, Volek, Westman, etc. All the basic Keto Diet information is on DietDoctor for free.

The diet truly is "Uncomplicated", eat from a list of Allowed Real Foods, add a limited amount of fats for flavor, like a little heavy cream to coffee or a little cheese on vegetable, and you will start to see weight loss again. Not the big water weight loss you had at first, but steady fat-burning and lost inches.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-19, 11:29

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

If you're looking for good reliable books with introductory plans, you can also check out Dr. Atkins' books (a lot of people like the older plans, but I understand the newer ones are less shy about fat) and Protein Power by the Drs. Eades. Both of these are time-tested and science-based plans that keep carbs under 30g per day. Phinney & Volek (The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living) and Dr. Bernstein (Diabetes Solution and Diabetes Diet) are also good options.

"Keto" is a trendy word right now, but it's just another name for very low carb diets that have been around for a long time.