Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 14:30

Plan: Atkins or bust
Stats: 287/278/138
BF:
Progress: 6%
Lightbulb Ewwww.. I ate a restaurant dessert and...

Hi Everyone,
I've been going low carb for about a week now, on Glucophage, and went out to eat with my family. I had a nice low carb dinner, and then it was dessert time. There was NOTHING I could have, so I settled for one spoonful of one family member's apple crisp dessert, and one spoonful of chocolate cheesecake (not perfect but I did this so I would not cheat too bad).

Do you know, the spoonfuls were so so sickeningly sweet I nearly gagged? It really tasted gross. I asked both of them if they thought they were too sweet and they said, NO, just delicious! I guess the low carb stuff has really affected me. I was really proud of myself.

The glucophage (metformin) gives me weird side effects. Sweating, headaches, and metallic taste in my mouth. I had some lean lamb yesterday and could not taste it. Ho hum. That's probably helping me!

Take care everyone, and apricots for dessert!
Shekhina
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 08:47

Plan: Atkins, keto
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 67.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Shekhina,
I've been on glucophage for 7 years now, and it does have some wierd side effects. I had terrible gastrointestinal problems. So severe I was throwing up nonstop. It also has the wonderful side effect of decreasing your appetite. Unfortunately, or fortunately, all of the side effects are temporary. You'll probably hear alot of complaints about glucophage, but I love it. Now, it took me three months or so to love it, but I do. It's very good at controlling blood sugars with little danger of lows. When I was first diagnosed, I was too scared to touch sugar so I bought it for my family and made them eat it. Wierd, huh? I guess I was living vicariously. After awhile it will be so automatic to avoid sugary desserts that it won't even be a struggle.

Susan
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-01-02, 09:48
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 317/290/160
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Just wanted to throw in....

my two cents. I have the same experience with metformin, things that I used to love taste sickeningly sweet to me. It has worked, I can no longer tolerate anything like that......enjoy that benefit!