Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-30-05, 14:13

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 198/136/127 Female 174cm
BF:42%/19%/10%
Progress: 87%
Default How are we all going today??

Hi everyone, I though i would start a new thread as we have been chatting in the "what do you other aussies eat" thread. So we can have a chat here in a more appropriate place

Caz> That is a good idea about the jeans you bought. Fingers crossed it wont be long until they fit perfectly Oh and wedding rings!! I had to take mine of ages ago. Was scared that i was going to lose them, and there is no point in resizing atm, am waiting until i am down to my goal weight.

Hello to all other Aussies & NZ'ders who are lurking out there.

Tara
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-01-05, 20:55

Well I hope that i am joined by some fellow Aussie or NZ Lcers soon.

I found an amazing bargain yesterday. Went to brissie to do some shopping and saw a health food store that had 50% sale on all atkins stuff. So I picked up 4 boxes of morning shine bars for $5 each. A pancake mix for $4.95 and a bottle of atkins maple syrup for $4.95 too.

So stoked with my find

Tara
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-02-05, 04:33
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 202/176/126 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hi Tara, How's your weekend? I've had a really busy one and this is my first chance to jump on the net. We spent today minding our grand daughter, she will be four next week. I have alot of respect for anyone with kids ,as she really kept us on the go. Hopefully I lost a few pounds with all that running around.
Glad you renamed us, it makes more sense , since we don't just constantly talk about food. Hope the others will find this and maybe we'll get a few more Aussie LCers here too.
Sounds like you found some great bargains. I like some of the Atkins stuff, but it's usually so expensive.
Do you live far out of Brisbane? We only have a few health food stores here in Albury and they don't have a very big range of anything LC at all. My sister lives in Melbourne, so I might send her a wish list and see what she can find for me.
I love your positive attitude about your rings, sounds like you are back on track. Here's to everything old fitting once again.
Talk soon. Caz
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-02-05, 05:15

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%

Hi you guys.

There are quite a number of Aussie members on this forum, but most like me use it for research or specific areas of interest. 'We' are more likely to get together and chat on the Australian low carb forums, so you may find not many check this section. Welcome aboard anyway ... and go easy on all that Atkins food! Just my opinion you understand - but just reading the ingredient list is enough for me! IMO as you are now low carbers for life, it makes sense to base your diet on all the great low carb real whole foods, with perhaps the occaisional indulgence in processed lc pretend stuff (it can stall weight loss as well) - and only if you really like it!!

Cheers,

Malcolm
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-02-05, 14:26

Hi Caz> Yes my rings were scaring me for a while there, I had started to lose weight while I was pregnant with my son, who is now 5 months old. My rings had become so lose that they would just fall off. So better safe than sorry I took them off. Feel a bit icky not wearing them though, especially when walking along our small country town with 3 kids!!

I think i will be staying in this forum, I go to so many forums as it is, this one while it may not attract a whole heap of fellow aussies, still gives us all the rest of the info and support we need.

As far as the atkins foods go, I am eating their bars just like i would have eaten a muesli bar before I went on the this WOL. I find it is something that I just can't do without. I perhaps will look into making my own at some point but with 3 kids under 3, doing a uni degree and also starting a home based business - time is very precious.

Today I am starting back on my version of atkins induction - i am breast feeding so cannot do induction 100%. I have been a little slack in the past week, and having those damn chocolates for the kindy fundraiser in the pantry has been too much of a temptation for me. I have unfortunately given in, but all is not lost, a couple of days and I will be back on track again. Really hoping to hit the 70kg mark at the end of this month so must really concentrate on food and start trying to get some exercise in.

I bought one of those big exercise balls, which seems like a really good work out but it is so hard with a 2yr old and a 3 yr old in my face trying to grab the ball. Last time I did it, I had them beside me with their little balls too, might try that again

Location> we are an hour and a half drive away from brissie. There are a few coles and woolies that I have been to that stock atkins stuff - mindue it is never a big selection but as long as i can get some bars i dont care. I was going to try the empower stuff, but my sister tried the empower wraps and said the were disgusting and stank of chemicals. Was v disapointed to hear that especially considering the price $13 for 7 wraps!! I would still like to try some of the empower cereal though. I do miss having cereal in the morning and am starting to get quite sick of bacon - I dont eat eggs so I am really limited.

Anyway that is enough dribble for me this morning. I hope u have a good day Caz. Any other lurkers?? We would love to chat to you too
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-02-05, 17:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/148/115 Female 155cm
BF:
Progress: 27%

Hello. Im from southside brisbane.
Sounds like you got a great deal on the atkins stuff. I laying off the bars and shakes for a while to see if i can lose this last five or so kilos. I feel like i have been stuck forever. I also think the glass of wine in the evening is holding me up too.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-02-05, 22:14

Plan: Power of Protien
Stats: 171.9/161.3/110.2 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

Hello all

What a great idea to start a thread for us Aussies! Being only a newbie to LC I'm finding it hard to get my head around the combinations. So used to cooking the other way and as cooking has been my hobby for more years that I care to admit to it is automatic to reach for the items I always used to use.
The thing I miss the most is Pasta and Bread. Yeeeees I Reeeeaaaly used to lay into to those 2 items. Only early days for me though...this is my first week.

I live on the Sunshine Coast about 10 minutes south east of Nambour, so you are quite right Tara only about an hour or so from Brisbane.

I'm a "mexican", or so I have been called. Have lived here for the last 9 1/2 years and am sorry did not come here sooner. Love the place.
Now I must go...trying to sort out what is going to be for lunch and dinner as Hubby is on this as well to see how it works but he is not nearly as strict on it as I am.

Big hug to all

Zola
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-03-05, 14:10

Zola, that is brilliant that you have your husband on this WOL with you. Good luck with it all. i am not actually in brisbane but an hour and a half west of it in between brisbane and toowoomba. We were considering moving back to brissie but having visited friends on the weekend and seeing how busy and condensed the living spaces are and then coming back home to our 5 acres on top of a moutain - it really made me appreciate what we have

I did a lot better yesterday but could have had a lot less carbs though. I think i had about 60grams. I am thinking atm that if i increase it to about 40grams a day it would probably speed up my OWL. I have slowed down a bit of late and i am blaming that on only having about 10 grams a day or less. Fortunately it isnt affecting my breast milk at all. I really should go back to writing everything down again and keeping track big time. I storta started to become complacent with what i eat and throw in a cheat everynow and then after i stopped keeping a daily journal. Still i havent put weight back on it is still coming off just a bit slower.

Anyway i had better go and deal with my evil children.

Hope u all have a good day

Tara
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-04-05, 04:31
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Zola, nice to have you along. I've been LCing for 5 weeks now and thankfully most of my cravings are gone.If you check out the recipes on this forum you will find some great ideas on how to use the new foods we are cooking with. i have been experimenting alot with my old favourites and trying to LC them.
Hi Tara, How's things? I was checking out another forum and they were discussing Polydextrose. It's a different sweetener and apparently it is good in baking and acts more like sugar. They made these yummy brownies and said they were even gooey. Have you heard of it or if we can buy it in Australia. I did a search but couldn't find anyone selling it in Oz. I don't think it is banned because they sell products made with it in the shops. I had a pretty quiet couple of days, i need to get moving a bit and drop some more pounds, the scales haven't budged for a few days now. I've been writing down all i eat, because sometimes it's tempting to guess how many carbs I've had and then overeat. This way I know where I am up to. have a good day. Talk soon. Caz
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-04-05, 04:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 189/169/139 Female 5ft3ins
BF:41.8%/39%/33%
Progress: 40%

Hi all aussies..glad I found you again, looks like a few more of us are joining up. I am in South Gippsland Vic...the land of dairy cows, beef and rolling hills..very rural.
Been LCing since May slow but steady weight loss, have kept at it mainly due to this forum and the lovely people I keep meeting. I have started exercising and walking, drinking lots of water, working on my abdomenals all because of buddies and challenges that keep me motivated (most of the time )
It will be nice compare notes with some fellow aussies. I like to hear what everyone else is doing to keep on the straight and narrow
catchup later
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-04-05, 14:18

Good Morning all

Well I jumped on the scales this morning and they are half a kilo lighter. How??? I have no idea. I have had so many cheats the past week with these stupid kindy chocolates that I am supposed to be selling as a fundraiser. Trouble is we know hardly anyone in town and nearest rellie is 130kms away. Oh well they are almost gone now anyway. And it is shopping day today so i can buy some more salami etc for snacks. I tell u what though, all this sugar is giving me headaches. I am drinking a truck load of water to try and flush it out of my body too. Going to try and pump up my gym ball later and start doing that type of work out. It is a massive work out by itself just trying to pump the damn thing up!!

Caz> No I havent seen that sweetner, mindue I dont go looking for things like that either. I cannot be trusted with sweet things in the house (as u can see) so I do try to avoid. If i made a whole heap of cakes or brownies you can be guaranteed that I would sit down and eat most of them. Cravings.... my sugar cravings are going bonkers atm, it is going to be a tough couple of days until i get it all back out of my system. Must stock up on the extra chewy today and sugar free jelly.

Tardon> Glad that you found us I too am in a rural area, although i think we are mainly beef up here, its a bit too dry for anything else atm. Ppl keep saying that we are due to have our wettest summer in years, I certainly hope so, our tanks are pretty low and it is costing us a fortune to top them up all the time. I should go and have a look at the challenge section. It might motivate me to do more exercise. I must admit that before i came on to this WOL I was walking about 7kms a day and losing v slowly, since i have been on this WOL I have lost so much weight without the exercise so I am not over fussed about doing any now. But having said that, it is mainly due to where i was walking, we live on top of a mountain and I was walking up and down it. Very steep climbs and it just about made my lungs jump out of my chest. I was getting fitter and fitter from it but all the same it still scared me

Anyway enough from me, i need to go and russtle up some bacon for breakfast.

Of before I go, I am not sure if i mentioned it or not but those steakette things you can buy from your butcher have very few carbs - about 1gram each if not less. So for those of u who like your sausages and miss them, it might be work looking at. I hate eggs so I have been having them and bacon and a tomatoe for breakfast.

Byeeeee

Tara
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-04-05, 17:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'm glad to actually see some active aussie posters on this site! It's been like a ghost town for ages.

I've been a member of this board for a couple of years now, but have only really successsfully converted to Low Carb recently.

Since July 25th I have been low carbing and I'm losing a bit of weight!

Let's just say it took me a few years to 'de-programme' the low-fat dogma out of me!

I usually post on the empower site: www.empowerfoods.com.au/forums
but sometimes that is quiet too.

I love talking to Aussies because we understand each other. And NZers are kinda similar too!

As much as I love Americans it's definately not the same. Culturally they are very different to us! And also they tend to go on about American things about the food and services over there, so some threads I can't participate in

I just wish the Aussie's were more active on forums!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-04-05, 20:32

Hi Dave

I had been to the empower site too but as u said it is fairly quiet, so i havent actually been back for a while now. I was kinda put off my a few comments that i was left by someone too. I like this site much better anyway, it has a lot of info and heaps of motivational stuff too.

We are slowly getting more and more aussies in here the more the merrier i say.

am going to sit in front of the fan now, it is 35 degrees outside, and not even summer yet

Tara
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-05, 05:04
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Everyone, How are we all? Wow , isn't this great, so many people to chat to. Had a good day today, I didn't eat too much and went for a walk.
I was busy all day which is good for keeping out of the fridge. We bought an old camper trailer and are fixing it up. We have four dogs so we are limited as to where we can holiday, but now we'll be able to go to the river and do some fishing.
Tara, I can't believe how hot it is up your way, the highest temp we've had so far is 26. That felt too hot after the cold winter we've had. At least I should have lost enough size by christmas to maybe go for a swim, instead of sitting covered up on shore.
LCDave, You are so right about the low fat thing. I still baulk at what I can eat sometimes and feel guilty. But the weight is coming off and my bloodwork was good.Whereabouts in melb do you live? My sister lives in Seaford.
Well time to go, I'll catch you all again tomorrow.
Caz
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-05, 05:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 189/169/139 Female 5ft3ins
BF:41.8%/39%/33%
Progress: 40%

Hey Caz my sister also lives in Seaford and my brother and daughter live in Frankston....talk about 7 degees of separation..they probably know eachother.
LC Dave I agree with you..I love the people I've come to know at this forum but sometimes food topics, WOL are a bit alien. Not a bad thing just hard to relate to sometimes. The Aussie look like they might get a bit more active ...we just need to get them to this thread first
Tigger congrats on the scale moving. Mine did also..a wee bit..but anything is good right Have a look at the challenges, it had really helped me in lots of areas.
Do you guys buy a lot of lo-carb products. I have managed without them but would love to go to a shop rather than buy online. Any hints
hello also to DarwinAus and madamezola , those problems you guys have with pasta bread and wine sound like so many of us. I still have a vino in the evening..can't be that bad.....
Okay better get off it can be so time consuming reply to all the buddies and threads. Night