Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 16:06

Plan: ex-atkins
Stats: 175/105/115 Female 5 ft 0
BF:
Progress: 117%
Default Perfected my pancakes...

I have found a lot of the pancake recepies out there very 'eggy' and difficult to flip without falling apart.. after much experimentation I have covered the egg taste and made pikelets I think taste pretty good. I also find them very filling.
I'd be very interested in what other ppl think, so come on - you know you want to make them!!!

1 egg
1.5 tablespoons gluten flour
1 tablespoon of soy flour
1 tablespoon Wheat Bran
teaspoon of baking soda
2 teaspons sugar equivilant (Actually, I use 1.5 packets)
1 Tablespoon Cream
1 Tablespoon Oil
1 Tablespoon Water

Whisk the egg. Add the dry ingredients, and the cream and oil. Mix well - the trick is to get rid of all the lumps. Add the water last (you might need a little more - I don't really measure) to get to a less thick consistency - it is still thicker then 'normal' pancakes.

Cook on medium heat - I made mine about piklet size and they were easy to flip with a fork even, but have also made them about the size of a saucer with no problems!

I think wheat bran is the magic ingredient - it makes them taste more like pikelets (cover up the egg, and soy flour!!) and really helps them stay together... I initially made this with more gluten flour instead of the bran and they were not good, and didn't want to flip without falling apart.

I put the sweetner in them so that they are piklets and you get maximum sweetness becuase it is evenly distrubited and don't need to add anything ... however, I have made them saucer size without the sweetner and had them savoury with ham and cheese in a roll-up, and they were also really good.

Obviously this is a small recepie.. it is easy to double!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 19:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/147/125 Female 64.5
BF:
Progress: 61%

2 Q's:

1) what's "pikelet"?
2) How many carbs per pancake?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 19:42

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

This was a new one for me too and it seems to be an Aussie thing.
http://www.abc.net.au/centralqld/stories/s872912.htm

This site: http://www.brainydictionary.com/wor...elin202944.html says it is " an alternative for Pikelin" (which isn't very helpful either.) But it then defines pikelin as "a light thin cake or muffin".

But I still don't know how to say pikelet. Is it......

pickle - lette
pike - let
pick-a-lay
peek-a-lay
or something else? Then of course we must try to say it with an Australian accent.
But they sound good.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 00:01

BF:

Too funny!! Sorry guys, but after all the 'americanisms' round here I'm just evening the score!!

Ok... so maybe they are all pancakes over there, but here...
A 'pancake' is big and flat.. generall made with an egg, cup of flour, cup of milk.

A 'piklet' is denser (thicker mixture), smaller, sweet, and much fluffier. That recepie linked to is pretty standard, but many have butter in them as well.

So for an Aussie pancake, you add the sugar/syrup/etc at the end to make it sweet...
Pikelets are to eat as is.. As kids we used to get them in our lunchboxes.. so good!
Although a lot of people use the terms interchangably, of course.

So, any takers on trying them? I tell you, I think they are pretty damn good, but maybe that's just me?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 00:03

BF:

Oh... and its pike - let!!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 05:38
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I'm trying this one this morning. Alot of mornings I am cooking just for me. It seems a real pain to cook up a batch of something that says it serves 8-12 people. I know I can refridgerate some, and I often do, but there are times I also eat 2-3 servings. This recipe is nice and small so I can just have it for me. I'll save the larger recipes for a weekend I am cooking with my son.

I modified it only slightly. I used 1 packet of sweetner, then a very small splash of DaVincci almond syrup. Then when I was done mixing the batter, I threw in some blueberries. So today I'm having blueberry pancakes for rbeakfast, yumm. I plan to leave them plain, or a slight touch of cinnimon cream cheese, and have eggs along with them. Maybe I'll add some cinnimon to the batter too, yummmm. I'm a cinnimon freak and after making perishings and cinnimon twists at work I can't have, I want cinnimon dammit
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 09:49
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Heh - I added cinnamon, too. Can't resist.

These were excellent. I had to fudge it a bit, since I was lacking soy flour and baking soda, but here's what my recipe-for-two looked like:

2 eggs
4 T gluten flour
3 T wheat bran
1 t baking powder
2 packets splenda
2 T half and half plus a few drops of vinegar to make faux buttermilk
2 tsp oil
a good shake of cinnamon
2 drops vanilla extract
water to thin

Very nice pancakes! Even the boyfriend gave it

One thing I noticed is that it's very easy to overcook them, and they'll be a bit spongey. So if they still look wet around the center thickness, they're done. Don't cook them to dryness.

I served them with blueberry syrup: a handful of blueberries, a splash of water, and a *tad* of sugar. Less than 3/4 tsp, just enough to suck the juice out of the berries. I heated them in a sauce pan until the berries were soft and the water turned purple, then added some butter.

The nutrition info according to fitday: 218 cal, 11 g fat, 9 g carb, 3 g fiber, 22 g protein. This doesn't include the butter I fried them in, or the blueberry syrup.

I took a picture and put it in the gallery.

Last edited by Kristine : Fri, Apr-08-05 at 15:44.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 05:33
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 192/179/142 Female 63
BF:no idea
Progress:

I have been CRAVING PANCAKES...

Where to you buy gluten flour and soy flour, at a health food store?
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 17:41

BF:

Wow, I am so excited that people have tried these! and thanks so much Kristine for taking a photo and adding it to the gallery.

CONILUV - yes, you can buy it at a health food store but I can also find it at my local crappy Australian supermarket, so with the range your supermarkets have you can probably find it there too.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 09:14

Stats: 209/161/150 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 81%

I made these last night. the texture was pretty good, I do think the bran makes a difference. but I am thinking it should be baking POWDER instead of SODA? the pancakes tasted so strongly of baking soda I couldn't hardly eat them. any feedback on this????
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 10:02
Forum Moderator

BF:

I used baking powder and they turned out nicely. That was just because I didn't have any baking soda!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 10:09

Stats: 209/161/150 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 81%

I'll have to try it with baking powder. as I got to thinking every pancake batter recipe I've ever used calls for powder not soda...perhaps the soda is a typo? Aren't pancakes a treat?
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 15:04

Stats: 162/162/115 Female 5'7''
BF:Its very high!
Progress: 0%

Hi quick question is this recepie induction friendly and what is the carb count? Thanks in advance!!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 16:17
Forum Moderator

BF:

It wouldn't be induction-friendly... too many things that aren't on the acceptable foods list. The nutrition counts are in my first post.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-05, 14:47

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 198.5/183/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

these were delicious. thank you for sharing. i made a mc griddle and it was awesome. this was the best tasting pancake i've had yet.