Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-19-04, 20:34

Plan: Whatever works!
Stats: 245.5/235/140 Female 63
BF:Way too much
Progress: 10%
Thumbs up Lucy's Gym Log

I presently have ONE month of working out 7 days a week!

My normal workout is 1/2 hour elliptical, 1/2 hour circuit training & stretching & freeweights. On weekends, I walk around Greenlake, which is 3 miles.

I've been trying to run, but after a minute I'm so not able to breathe, so I've been doing 1 minute walking and 1 minute running intervals. I tried doing that for weeks, doesn't seem to get any easier..........maybe I should wait until I drop 50lbs.

LL
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-04-04, 16:26

I started spinning classes a few weeks ago, it's so much FUN! I"m also adding a Pilates class, it starts right after the spinning class, if I have any energy left................

Sunday is for walking, Mondays I usually just take off from working out, come home after work and fall asleep..........

LL
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-04, 16:00

Back to the gym today, after a 3-day hiatus, just been really tired & run down, was on the verge of catching something, but didn't actually get it. Had a blast with goldfish crackers, must be nearing TOM, all weepy & stuff..............

Oh well, a good sweaty workout should be just the trick!

LL
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 15:02

Been at the gym all this past week (with the exception of Monday), am going up on all the weights. Found the reverse lunge machine, LOVE that thing! Am keeping up with everyone in the spinning class, would like to try Pilates sometime soon. I've been stalled for a month, but I've 'cheated' a few times too, so back on track last week. Funny, didn't worry about what I ate this past weekend, but kept it all low-carb and dropped 3lbs today! Guess it's true about the watched scale never budging...............

LL
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 15:44

Plan: considering SPP
Stats: 145//130 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 36%

Hi there Lucy,
great work at the gym! It's good to be back on track And congrats on the dropped pounds
I was reading your log and wondering if you have rest days. Remember that your muscles need time to recover. So working out seven days a week may put unecessary stress on your body. Rest is good, as long as it's not long term! Also, it's a good idea to do your weights before cardio, and not vice versa. Cardio AFTER weights will increase the rate at which you burn fat and preserve muscle.

--Happy exercising! and great job,
Nadz
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 18:34

I did the switch awhile back and do weights/circuit training first, and find I'm pretty tired for cardio, but usually do about 20 minutes. I should rest in between, perhaps do cardio 40 minutes on the days I don't lift. Thanks

LL
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 20:01

Plan: LC / breastfeeding
Stats: 230/194.5/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:30%
Progress: 44%
Talking Have you ever

heard the song lucy at the gym bye Jill Sobule...... sorry was browsing and saw your post, just made me think of it.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-28-04, 20:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/175/175 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyLucy
I did the switch awhile back and do weights/circuit training first, and find I'm pretty tired for cardio, but usually do about 20 minutes. I should rest in between, perhaps do cardio 40 minutes on the days I don't lift. Thanks

LL

Sound like a good plan. That is how I started off and I have added more cardio sessions to my routine over time. Good luck, it seems like your on the right track.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-09-04, 10:19

Doing great this week, went up 5lbs on all my weights, weight-lifting & circuit training are slowly taking over the cardio. Starting next week I'll be alternating days to give the body a rest, one day just circuit/cardio, next heavier lifting/circuit, 15 minutes cardio. Finally seeing the scale going DOWNward, due in part to simply not eating when I get home from the gym, other than a really SMALL portion of protien. I'd been stalled for over a month of lbs & inches, I think I'm still simply eating too much calories, I believe I'll be one of those people who have to watch the calorie intake in addition to the carbs........

LL
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-22-04, 08:33

Wow, feeling much stronger now that I'm doing weights first and taking the emphasis off the cardio! I"m also starting to try to run again, in 1-minute intervals. I have always had horrible lung capacity, (never smoked) and running is agony because I cannot BREATHE. My legs are fine, but after 2 minutes it truly feels a truck is sitting on my chest, but I'll keep at it, hopefully it'll get better. Back when I was thin I ran daily, I know I have a lot more weight, but I see heavy people having no trouble running on the treadmill, I need to get to that point...........

LL
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-07, 20:09

It has been some time since I posted my gym log, so I'm starting again. I've been fully dedicated to LC for about a month or so, lost about 15lbs so far, and my goal this past month was to get up to 1 hour on the treadmill and I did it!

I start at 3.0 speed, because I'm very short, so though all the books tell you to walk at 4.0 speed, that is running like the wind for me....

Every 3 minutes, I go up 1% incline until I get to 10% incline. The goal this month is to maintain 3.0 speed all the way up to 10% incline, then at 10% incline I lower speed to 2.0 and recover.

I then come down in 3-minute intervals until I get back to 1% incline.

I also added some weight/arm exercises while I'm in recovery mode going slower (so I don't fall off the back of the treadmill).

The thing I love about this workout is every day I feel stronger, more in control of my obesity, and there actually is light at the end of the weight loss tunnel.

I know that if I am going to keep this weight off for good, I have to exercise, every single day!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-07, 02:28

Plan: Lower Carb
Stats: 271.7/219.7/219 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Hi Lucy!

We have the same exact starting weight. Or at least that was the weight I was when I finally forced myslef onto the scale...

15 lbs. is great! And it looks like your exercise is going well too. Keep it up!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Sep-07-07, 21:33

Today is Friday-I have forgone happy hour in lieu of exercise. I am very social, this is killing me! I have not lost any weight this week or in the past 2 weeks, I know I'm eating right, so I think it's the exercise.

I'm still doing an hour on the treadmill, almost all uphill, when I flatten out and slow down, I do some weights while walking slowly, then speed back up and start climbing hills again.

I need a month of consistent exercise, in the past I've started/stopped a lot.

I've stopped using excuses, I'll never be thin without exercise, it's that simple
  #14   ^

Today is Friday-I have forgone happy hour in lieu of exercise. I am very social, this is killing me! I have not lost any weight this week or in the past 2 weeks, I know I'm eating right, so I think it's the exercise.

I'm still doing an hour on the treadmill, almost all uphill, when I flatten out and slow down, I do some weights while walking slowly, then speed back up and start climbing hills again.

I've stopped using excuses, I'll never be thin without exercise, it's that simple
  #15   ^