Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 12:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/181/145
BF:
Progress: 66%
Default collecting research info: why choose lowcarb?

I would like to conduct a small research study in the mist of the lowfat vs. lowcarb debate. Would you please answer 5 questions for me?

1. Why did you choose eating lowcarb?

2. How long have you been lowcarb?

3. What have been your results?

4. How difficult is making lowcarb a lifestyle change?

5. Would you consider a lowfat/highcarb lifestyle?

Thank you VERY MUCH for your time. I will collect responses for 30 days (ending 1/5/03) and will post results by the end of January for all to see.

I'm a nurse and I might possibly write an article about lowcarb and submit it to one of the nursing journals for possible publication.

Once again, THANK YOU. Robin
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 12:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Re: collecting research info: why choose lowcarb?

Quote:
Originally posted by auntrobin
I would like to conduct a small research study in the mist of the lowfat vs. lowcarb debate. Would you please answer 5 questions for me?

To answer your last question first, I was ON a low-fat lifestyle (not necessarily hi-carb, though it worked out that way) for over ten years - strictly. It began with 30 grams fat/day or less and, toward the end, I was doing 10/day or less. And my health was getting worse every month.

There came a point where my doctor said he'd done everything for me that he could. There were no more pills to take, no more regimens to try, nothing more could be done for me. I had to SOMEHOW change my health or I would be dead in two years.

That happened in mid-March and I decided to try Atkins on the way home from that doctor visit. (I have a friend who succeeded with it.) It scared the peewaddy out of me to try Atkins because of all the warnings, but it was that or surgery. So, Atkins became my last ditch effort before surgery.

That was almost 9 months ago and I've lost 57 lbs. My blood pressure is down from ungodly high to 135/90 - still too high but better by 60+ pts on both numbers. My triglycerides have come down by half and my total cholesterol is under 200 for the first time in (decades?). My food allergies have disappeared. Several other health problems have cleared up or improved. I have too many wonderful results to EVER go back. Plus, my husband has lost 65 lbs since April and my son has lost 95 lbs - both of them are in MUCH better health, as well.

The first two weeks were difficult because I had headaches (3 days) and cravings (2 weeks), but the results were DRAMATIC even by the end of the first week. My doctor was amazed. He has gone from being anti-Atkins to being on the diet and has, himself, lost 29 lbs on it. After one month, my husband and son joined me on the WOL and everything has been easy as low-carb pie since then. We celebrate some new milestone almost every day with each other. It is truly a miracle.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 13:19

Plan: Hybrid
Stats: 181/157/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default I'll try to keep this brief...

1. It was an accident. I thought it was horrible for you. I joined LA Weight Loss Centers and their first week or so is low carb. I thought I was going to die, going through the 'detox', but day 4 dawned and I felt FANTASTIC. Better than I had ever remembered feeling. The light bulb went on.

2. Off and on, 2 years.

3. When I stick with it, I feel very good. No bloating, no arthritis pains in my knuckles, no acid reflux or heartburn, mood swings are almost non-existant. My immunity is awesome right now. I lose weight consistantly, if slowly.

4. The longer I've been on it, the easier it gets. Because it's not mainstream, it can be difficult to adhere to when eating out, oddly enough (or maybe not) when I am eating at family gatherings. The few times I've gone off it, I feel so lousy, that is encouragement enough to get back on.

5. NO WAY! That's what got me in the mess in the first place, thank you Dr Ornish. I gained 35 lbs, my cholesterol went from 140 to 205, arthritis kicked in, heartburn/acid reflux so bad I couldn't sleep, developed symptoms of endometriosis (which is gone now) etc, I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Besides the fact that I felt AWFUL eating low fat/high carb (and they were whole grains) So incredibly weak, tired and hungry, no, STARVING all the time.

Amy
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 14:37

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: 225/175/190 Male 72in
BF:30%/8%/8%
Progress: 143%

I mentioned to a co-worker that I needed to lose some weight and he suggested I check out the Protein Power plan. At the time I was on a cholesterol-lowering drug so I asked my doctor what he thought of the protein diets and he said that they had been shown to improve your lipids so I went for it.

Almost a year know.

I have lost 50lbs and dropped my BF% from 30% to 10%. I no longer take the cholesterol-lowering drug and my BP and heart rate are in the very athletic range when before I started they were getting near the high limit.

It was very easy for me as I have always liked meat.

No way, bin there done that and it worked(for weight loss) as long as I was running 3 miles every other day but my knees started to give me problems so I had to stop running. It also was causing my elevated cholesterol and most likely was putting me at risk of developing diabetes(runs in the family).
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-02, 20:04
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I didn't. My doctor did. I was an anti-Atkins person myself-mainly due to misinformation. I went to the doctor because I gained 30 pounds after being put on thryoid medication. I was eating almost nothing-low fat foods and exersizing like a crazy person. I lost 4 or 5 pounds in 4 months doing that. My doctor suggested the low carb diet and told me to try it for two weeks and see if I liked it. I lost 4 pounds in those two weeks. I did some reading and decided that this was right for me.

Since September 20, 2002

I have lost 15 pounds since September. I have lost almost 4 1/2 inches in my waist. I have lost almost 9% body fat.

It was probably more of a committment for me since I am a vegetarian. I refused to go back to eating meat and was worried about this. However, there are several protein meat replacement products and they seem to be working well for me. I also have not had to give up coffee-which would have been well nigh impossible! So, not so difficult, beyond the inital adjustment period.

Not anymore. I am truly a convert. My mother and brother had wonderful success on the low carb plans. You might want to add a question about how many people you know are lcing.

Paleoanth
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-02, 00:01
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I am a type 2 diabetic. I wanted to lower and stabilize my blood sugar without mediation.

5 months

My blood sugars are now in the normal (non-diabetic) range. My fasting blood sugar has dropped 200 points. My slightly high blood pressure (ca. 120/95) has dropped to ca. 110/70. My cholesterol and triglycerides have dropped. And, last but not least, I have lost 18 pounds and dropped two pants sizes.

It was very easy. Surprisingly easy.

No. I've eaten low fat before (for years!) and it was not satisfying.

Last edited by CarolynC : Fri, Dec-06-02 at 00:03.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-02, 11:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/147/145 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 95%

1. Because at 60 years young, and 45 years of trying to lose .
weight eating plastic food, I've finally found a WOE that
encourages me to eat good wholesome food and still lose
weight.

2. 4 months

3. Lost 30 lbs and still counting

4. Easiest lifestyle change I've ever made.

5. NO WAY ! NADA ! NOT A CHANCE !

judy
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-02, 11:29

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Smile My experience

My doctor suggested it before and again after I was diagnosed Type II diabetic. At that point, I knew I needed to do something.

Just under 3 months.

40 lbs. in weight loss, loads of inches gone, no more glucophage for diabetes, lowered blood pressure, normal fasting blood sugar, more energy, clothes fit better... etc.

Carb withdrawal headache for first week and adjustments here and there with shopping, eating out and such. Requires little effort on my part to follow this WOL.

You couldn't pay me all the money in the world to go back to that. That's what got me in trouble in the first place.

Nikki
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-02, 11:41

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Post Answers

1. Tried it out of desparation in 1998 and it worked. The reason now: loss of appetite.

2. About a month. I am having a harder time getting started this time.

3. Just a few pounds so far this time so far. Not being very disciplined.

4. I am married this time and it is most difficult. My husband can eat anything and he does and having this in the house is the primary problem. Last time I totally cleared my cupboards and fridge and they stayed that way over a year.

5. Definitely. If someone could guarantee that my carbs would all be good carbs and I wouldn't sink back into eating all the bad stuff again.