Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-08-08, 13:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 203/199.4/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Chicken snob

I am officially a chicken snob. I always buy the boneless, skinless chicken breasts. While in Shoprite they had a family pack of leg quarter for 2.29. How could I resist when the price of food has gone up sooooo much. Well, I almost threw up when my sister told me to take the kidney out of the back of it. That was disgusting! It was fallin apart and just gross. OK, I admit, I'm a chicken snob and will never buy anything but boneless, skinless chicken.

Does anyone know how long to cook these babies for???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-08-08, 13:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 307/222/177 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 65%

I'm almost that bad. I'll buy whole chickens or chicken wings from time to time, but mostly I stick with the boneless skinless...

I found boneless skinless chicken THIGHS at the store the other day. I like dark meat from time to time, so I'm curious to see how those come out.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-08-08, 13:41
Registered Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 216.1/186/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Touching raw chicken grosses me out, so I either buy the boneless skinless chicken breasts or the regular thighs. I use the thighs to make chicken stock, and shred the meat for the soup, or for salads or sandwiches for my husband.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-08-08, 13:41

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

WHAT????? and not get all that good fatty crackled up skin!!!

Send yours here!!! (of course it might smell just a bit by the time it gets here)
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-08-08, 13:42

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 267/243/140 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 39%

I bought a whole chicken once for the crockpot sticky chicken posted here on this site (mmm it's yummy too) but the neck had to be pulled out and I GAGGED until tears rolled down my cheeks. DH had to finish it and he's a vegetarian. I am very much a chicken snob too.

Sorry, I don't know how long they cook for.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-08-08, 13:47
Registered Member

Stats: 210/165/150 Female 5ft. 9in.
BF:
Progress: 75%

Oh, I'm with you! I'm a terrible chicken snob! I don't want dark meat anywhere near my plate, and I hate picking it off a bone. Boneless, skinless breast for me all the way. When I can, I buy it from the Schwan man, because each breast comes individually wrapped, and all I have to do is squeeze it out of the plastic into my cooking pan and I don't even have to touch it! Heh.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-08-08, 13:54

Plan: Atkins 92
Stats: 260/200/175 Female 72 inches
BF:Size 20/12/10
Progress: 71%

OMG, you guys are missing out! Thigh meat is the only way to go! The boneless, skinless thighs are a PERFECT substitute for breasts - they never get dried out, either.

To the OP - your leg quarters will take about 35 mins in the oven if you roast them at 400 degrees or so (depending on how large they are). This will get the skin nice and crispy. Mmmm crispy chicken skin!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-08-08, 13:54

Plan: M&E, Atkins!
Stats: 240/219.2/180 Female 5ft8in
BF:
Progress: 35%

Thighs are the best for stewing.. they are the MOISTEST part of the chicken and are very tender.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-08-08, 13:56

Stats: 155/134.8/115 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Wow, sounds like you miss out on all the good stuff! I even buy backs to roast to pick on occasionally.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-08-08, 14:01

Stats: 210/210/150 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 0%

OMG Gosh Cindi, I love your bird!....

I bake dmy chicken skinles sbreat in teh oven for 20 minutes But I flatten alittle too, I put mayo mix w/parm cheese.

I love my legs and thighs though!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-08-08, 14:32

Plan: Atkins/PP blend
Stats: 163.4/157/145 Female 60
BF:

I couldn't look at naked chicken when I was pregnant... so I get what you all mean. But now... I love chicken anyway you fix it. I have have bunches of chicken legs to toss on the grill. And I just brined a whole chicken last week, then made chicken stock out of the carcass. Yum.

(and should we be talking about Cindi's bird on a chicken thread? That reminds me of the joke about the parrot that was swearing up a storm. The guy told the parrot to knock it off or he'd stick the parrot in a closet. The parrot kept cussing so the parrot got stuck in a closet for an hour. The parrot still kept cussing, so the guy threatened to put the parrot in a cabinet for an hour. Didn't bother the parrot any - he STILL kept cussing so he was put in the cabinet for an hour. Even after that the parrot STILL kept cussing, so the owner told the parrot, "if you don't stop, I'm going to put you in the freezer." The parrot STILL kept cussing, so the owner put the parrot in the freezer. After about half an hour, the owner came and took the parrot out. The parrot apologized and promised never to cuss again. The owner asked the parrot what changed his mind finally, to which the parrot replied.... "I saw what happened to the chicken!")

(sorry )
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-08-08, 14:34
Registered Member

Stats: 214/205/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

I'm a thigh girl myself too...They are so juicy and NEVER dry. SO many great ways to cook them too! Honestly, I don't like anything but dark meat!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-08-08, 17:27

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Give me the dark meat baby, especially the thighs with the skin on. Where is the kidney located on a leg quarter?
  #14   ^
Old Thu, May-08-08, 18:08

Stats: 219/191/140 Female 5'4
BF:ha/ha/ha

I will only eat chicken breasts...but they don't have to be boneless or skinless...I love crispy skin...drumsticks and wings and thighs do not appeal to me whatsoever...

BUT I am a turkey freak...white, dark, it doesn't matter...its all delish to me

Weird, eh?
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-08-08, 19:44

Stats: 302/242/180 Female 5'7" (170 cm)
BF:
Progress: 49%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennink
WHAT????? and not get all that good fatty crackled up skin!!!

Send yours here!!!
Ditto!!!

Although I had such a bad experience with chicken yesterday, I doubt I will be eating chicken for a few months!