Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-19, 05:50

Plan: Higher P/Moderate F + C
Stats: 152/146.6/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Unexpected Issue, Reduced appetite?

So I've been doing moderate carb this week, keeping net carbs in the 70g range, give or take a few. Because I've been a calorie counter for the past 7ish years I also know my calorie intake has been a little under my TDEE, which is good, (the weight loss I've seen this week has to be mostly water whoosh).

Then yesterday happened. Was hungry like normal at lunchtime but then after that NO hunger at all. It was a bit surreal and I had to be intentional about eating a light supper, just to get some calories in. Ended the day with no hunger/desire to eat and at around 28 net carbs. Problem is that my calorie intake was only around 700 calories, way too low for me with my stats. Down another pound this morning and I'm freaking out a little bit

Tom also started this morning which makes the whole thing even more unusual, because the day before I'm always starving and crave sweet stuff, (the only day of the month where I gravitate towards sweet foods). I even bought dark chocolate yesterday because I knew tom would be starting in the next few days and I wanted to be prepared, and now I'm so confused lol.

Is it normal when first starting a lower carb way of eating to not be hungry? One lower calorie day like yesterday isn't that big of a deal but I can't have it happen on a regular basis, just wouldn't be healthy for me.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-19, 07:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

DaisyDawn, that's very normal. When the "I'm not hungry" sensation first hits you (that's ketosis/fat burning kicking in), it's a bit of a shock, euphoria and concern at the same time.

Strive to eat a little something, ideally a protein-fat-vegetables combo, 3-6 times a day so that it adds up to a minimum of 1500 calories and maximum 1800 (that's the Atkins guideline for women). Collect 300-500 calorie food combos that you like. For example, Greek yogurt with nuts and berries, a whole small Haas avocado or cut-up fruit or vegetables with Greek yogurt or sour cream, an ounce or two of raw unsalted nuts (pecans and walnuts are my favorite) and cheddar cheese and a glass of V8. If it doesn't trigger cravings or weight gain, a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter will fill you up fast and add fat, protein and calories as well as a few carbs. A simple can of tuna or chicken with mayo works, too, with sliced cucumber and cherry/grape tomatoes and/or a couple of celery sticks. I buy rotisserie chicken and roasted pork loin ready made at the supermarket and keep them on hand for quick meals or snacks. Sometimes I just feel like having a couple of ounces of meat and a handful of nuts at a sitting and other times just a bowl of bagged salad or vegetables with butter or dressing.

Add heavy cream or half and half to your tea or coffee. That boosts your carb and fat and calorie intake a bit and has a high pleasure factor.

I enjoy a square or two of dark chocolate every now and then, but if you're really looking to knock off 10 lb I would recommend giving your body a chance to start craving fat and protein instead of sweet or starchy foods. It will over time if you stick to low carb. Your body will thank you for it in the long run (hopefully not so long).

Last edited by barb712 : Sat, Apr-20-19 at 11:17.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-19, 09:04

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

As barb states, this is normal once you've become adapted. Cravings go away, and that initial sensation is strange to many who take hunger sensations for granted. No two people are alike, however, as this happens sooner or later, but it happens.

Are your numbers correct? If so, you are just below your goal weight.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-19, 09:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712
DaisyDawn, that's very normal. When the "I'm not hungry" sensation first hits you (that's ketosis/fat burning kicking in), it's a bit of a shock, euphoria and concern at the same time.

Strive to eat a little something, ideally a protein-fat-vegetables combo, 3-6 times a day so that it adds up to a minimum of 1500 calories and maximum 1800 (that's the Atkins guideline for women). Collect 300-500 calorie food combos that you like. For example, Greek yogurt with nuts and berries, a whole small Haas avocado or cut-up fruit or vegetables with Greek yogurt or sour cream, an ounce or two of raw unsalted nuts (pecans and walnuts are my favorite) and cheddar cheese and a glass of V8. If it doesn't trigger cravings or weight gain, a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter in will fill you up fast and add fat, protein and calories as well as a few carbs. A simple can of tuna or chicken with mayo works, too, with sliced cucumber and cherry/grape tomatoes and/or a couple of celery sticks. I buy rotisserie chicken and roasted pork loin ready made at the supermarket and keep them on hand for quick meals or snacks. Sometimes I just feel like having a couple of ounces of meat and a handful of nuts at a sitting and other times just a bowl of bagged salad or vegetables with butter or dressing.

Add heavy cream or half and half to your tea or coffee. That boosts your carb and fat and calorie intake a bit and has a high pleasure factor.

I enjoy a square or two of dark chocolate every now and then, but if you're really looking to knock off 10 lb I would recommend giving your body a chance to start craving fat and protein instead of sweet or starchy. It will over time if you stick to low carb. Your body will thank you for it in the long run (hopefully not so long).

Thanks so much for the input-I reaad your post after I had skipped eating this morning, due to lack of hunger again I'll definitely need to be more intentional about eating on a schedule right now, to make sure I'm eating enough!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-19, 09:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
As barb states, this is normal once you've become adapted. Cravings go away, and that initial sensation is strange to many who take hunger sensations for granted. No two people are alike, however, as this happens sooner or later, but it happens.

Are your numbers correct? If so, you are just below your goal weight.

Yes, my stats are my updated numbers from my morning weigh-in. I don't mind if I get down a few more pounds, but I'm not actively trying to lose weight. My current BMI is 21.5, so I have a bit of wiggle room yet, I just need to make sure I don't continue dropping pounds at a time lol. I just started lower carb this week, so hopefully once the water woosh settles down my weight will settle as well.

I wasn't expecting the no hunger thing-first time ever that I haven't wanted to snack every couple hours!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-19, 09:47

BF:

A note to DaisyDawn: I'm a compulsive editor and made a few tweaks to my original post. Nothing earth-shaking, though. I hope the info was encouraging and helpful. One step at a time ... sounds like you are doing very well overall. It's a learning curve.

Last edited by barb712 : Sat, Apr-20-19 at 11:12.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-19, 11:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712
A note to DaisyDawn: I'm a compulsive editor and made a few tweaks to my original post. Nothing earth-shaking, though. I hope the info was encouraging and helpful. One step at a time ... sounds like you are doing very well overall. It's a learning curve.

Ha, I have a writing degree and if I don't edit a post at least 3 times I feel like I'm doing something wrong
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-19, 11:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDawn
Ha, I have a writing degree and if I don't edit a post at least 3 times I feel like I'm doing something wrong