Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-18, 14:30

Plan: atkins
Stats: 186/186/145 Female 5 foot 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Protein for Keto eating

I just watched several Diet Doctor videos on Keto. It states that other than keeping carbs <20 daily you should also keep protein in the moderate range or your body can store the excess in fat and you'll be out of ketosis. How do you determine how much protein you should be eating a day? I have looked everywhere and seems to be a lot of conflicting ideas.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-18, 15:48

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I hear this one: 0.6 grams of protein per pound of body weight.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-18, 17:33

BF:
Default Protein for Keto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
I hear this one: 0.6 grams of protein per pound of body weight.

So, if I understand correctly if I weigh 189 lbs, I can eat 113.4 gm of protein without worrying it will convert to fat? That seems reasonable if that's how it works.

Thanks for sharing that information.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-18, 18:46

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

That's only 4 ounces so that must be wrong.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-18, 20:19

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
That's only 4 ounces so that must be wrong.
113.4 g of protein sounds right. It is 4 oz of protein, not 4 oz of meat (~14 oz meat has ~113 g of protein).
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-18, 20:28

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Thanks Deirdra, That makes sense to me now...
Does that go for eggs and cheese too or does that calculate differently?
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-18, 20:32

Plan: Reduced carb
Stats: 217/189/150 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:lots/lots/less
Progress: 42%

I didn't understand this either. I googled how much protein in a 4 oz chicken breast and it said 35 gm, in a 113gm chicken breast.

Also, an egg is 6gm of protein.

I have a very hard time understanding the metric system.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-18, 21:01

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Grams of protein per ounce of meat or fish is approximately 7-9 grams. A pound (16 ounces) of steak will yield approximately 128 grams of protein. The remainder, approximately 320 grams, is fat, water, and tissue.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-18, 22:28
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I personally find it difficult to ingest enough protein. Have to use supplements because no way can I eat enough actual protein-rich food.

BTW, this is the info I found:
Ketogenic Diet Macros
The most simple to understand is macro nutrients (otherwise known as macros). Generally, the keto diet macros vary within the following ranges: 60-75% of calories from fat (or even more), 15-30% of calories from protein, and. 5-10% of calories from carbs.

Even though I don't eat very much (quantity) I used the LoseIt! app to log my food consistently and long enough to determine that my macros are usually right, just my protein consumption is lower than what is advised (as in:0.6 grams of protein per pound of body weight.) I'm luck to get half that.

All that said, I'm in maintenance and in excellent health so I'll stick with what works for me. In the end that's what we all have to do, isn't it?
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-18, 04:22

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Well, this was confusing. I follow an "Uncomplicated Keto" plan, and eat protein to my needs for a goal of weight maintenance/loss, not therapeutic ketosis. The problem with 99% of the Keto Macro calculators out there is they do not account for the Fat coming from your body.

As an older woman who has higher protein needs, and recent dabbler in a carnivore based diet, mine is on the high end of the suggested range in this recent ask Adapt video about protein, or 1.5kg per kg reference weight...not that I track it. Explained in this recent video:
https://www.facebook.com/AdaptYourL...39823176210435/
or this answer written by Dr. Westman 10 minutes ago: "No one knows for sure.[how much protein] For the "test", we answer 1 to 1.5 grams/kg ideal body weight of protein per day. If you are eating a real food keto plan, your appetite normalizes, and you eat as much protein as you need automatically! (unless there is some extenuating circumstance like prior surgery, medications, etc., etc.)"

Dr. Westman, Virta Health and Maria Emmerich use similar ranges for protein.
https://blog.virtahealth.com/how-much-protein-on-keto/ based on plans where the goal is weight loss and up to 20-30% of fat is coming from your own stores (but impossible to quantify).

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Nov-27-18 at 07:05.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-18, 07:51

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

To add to the mix, weight lifters use 1.2 twice the 0.6 to add muscle. Im mentioning this because most of us could benefit from more muscle building workouts. And while women dont pile on the bulk like men, having a strong back and body as a whole is ideal.

Also, quality of protein is important. Animal meat protein is the best quality to meet amino acid needs.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-18, 07:53

BF:

Thanks to all of you for your input. I am finding Keto challenging simply because of all the different opinions on the web. One lady says to keep it simple with three rules: eat < 20 total, not net carbs, stop when satiated and only eat when hungry. Many more sites talk about keeping macros in line with 60-75 fat, 15-30 protein and 5 to 10 carbs. Then there are the ones that simplify it even more saying no bread, pasta or rice. Being totally new to this I have been reading everything I can get my hands on and now terribly confused on the right way to start. It seems that everyone here follows the macro guidelines from Dr. Westman or Diet Doctors. Correct me if I am wrong please...yesterday I tried to keep everything in the macro zones and think I did ok. However, I found myself obsessing about measuring everything I ate. I must say that I wasn't hungry at dinnertime, but ate a fried pork chop because I read you shouldn't skip meals. Is this how its done? I am sorry if my questions seem stupid but want to do this correctly. Thanks again, Mary
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-18, 08:00

BF:
Default Make sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Well, this was confusing. I follow an "Uncomplicated Keto" plan, and eat protein to my needs for a goal of weight maintenance/loss, not therapeutic ketosis. The problem with 99% of the Keto Macro calculators out there is they do not account for the Fat coming from your body.

As an older woman who has higher protein needs, and recent dabbler in a carnivore based diet, mine is on the high end of the suggested range in this recent ask Adapt video about protein, or 1.5kg per kg reference weight...not that I track it. Explained in this recent video:
https://www.facebook.com/AdaptYourL...39823176210435/
or this answer written by Dr. Westman 10 minutes ago: "No one knows for sure.[how much protein] For the "test", we answer 1 to 1.5 grams/kg ideal body weight of protein per day. If you are eating a real food keto plan, your appetite normalizes, and you eat as much protein as you need automatically! (unless there is some extenuating circumstance like prior surgery, medications, etc., etc.)"

Dr. Westman, Virta Health and Maria Emmerich use similar ranges for protein.
https://blog.virtahealth.com/how-much-protein-on-keto/ based on plans where the goal is weight loss and up to 20-30% of fat is coming from your own stores (but impossible to quantify).

Janet this makes sense to me, perhaps as long as I am keeping carbs and fat in check the protein isn't going to be a problem and I shouldn't overthink it. Thanks sharing your thoughts on this.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-18, 08:12
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Mary, it might help you to think of the new name Keto as just the Atkins Diet in a new suit. Well, maybe Keto pushes more fat than Dr. Atkins, but low-carb, high-fat (LCHF) has been used for weight control since his book came out in 1972. Banting wrote about it in 1869. Also, to further confuse you, Therapeutic Keto is used to treat various medical conditions.

The advice I've seen given most often on this forum is: "Pick a plan and stick to it." Regular LCHF eating is a no-brainer which requires no weighing and measuring of food or logging macro nutrients.

*******One further note. From experience I can tell you that when you're in ketosis, you will have little to no hunger. I have to be careful of that or I won't eat enough and my metabolic rate will drop lower and lower.

****************One even further note: Opinions are like eyeballs, we all have one. Or is it two?
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-18, 10:26

BF:

Thank you! I do believe I have been overthinking the whole thing which I do have a tendency to do Will continue following LCHF and will stop obsessing about the details. As long as I monitor my carb intake the rest will fall into place is what I am coming to understand.