Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-29-12, 17:38

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default I'm coming back to FC'ing for IBS symptoms

My digestive problems have escalated over the past 2 years and I'm willing to try anything and everything to help. I began food combining again just yesterday and I'm also adding a digestive enzyme. Yesterday, one of the big things noted was dramatically less bloat at the end of the day. I had tried food combining a couple years ago and had good benefits, but my digestive woes were not that bad, so I didn't stick to it. If this helps me now, I'd be willing to stick with it just to feel better. I've tried every kind of diet change you can imagine with no help like cutting grain, cutting dairy, cutting meat, upping fat, lowering fat, fodmap diet (this really does help!) etc. I'm FC'ing with keeping low FODMAP too.

One question that I'm confused about is nuts. Can I have some chopped walnuts in a salad with tuna? How about in yogurt if eaten as a snack? I've googled it and have gotten lots of conflicting info on nuts.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-03-12, 13:11

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

Hi LA,

Have you tried the Specific Carbohydrate Diet?

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-03-12, 23:31
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAwoman75
One question that I'm confused about is nuts. Can I have some chopped walnuts in a salad with tuna? How about in yogurt if eaten as a snack? I've googled it and have gotten lots of conflicting info on nuts.

Nuts wouldn't work for me. They aggravate my intestines like mad. Why do you do a trial with/without them and see what happens?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-04-12, 07:06

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Nuts wouldn't work for me. They aggravate my intestines like mad. Why do you do a trial with/without them and see what happens?

Thanks Nancy, not long after posting this, I tried a small amount in a salad and was terribly bloated that evening. Nothing else I ate should've caused it so I'm assuming it was the walnuts. I hadn't had any nuts in a very long time. On a low FODMAP plan, some people can tolerate a small amount, I guess I'm not one of them.

Also, now it's day 5 of FC'ing and I'm feeling great. Still far less bloat and no real stomach problems. I'm also taking the digestive enzymes, so the combo of the two seem to be helping so far.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-25-12, 08:09

Plan: CAD
Stats: 215/198/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hi, I have been FC for many years for IBS and adult acne and nuts do not bother me with meat or starches, or alone as a snack, but they do have some carbs.

In the past only some kinds of milk bothered my IBS, especially liquid milk, yogurt and cottage cheese since they are not as processed as other forms of milk. All cheese now bothers the IBS. Cream cheese and sour cream make me break out bad, but I love it occasionally since it does not bother my gut. Good brands of ice cream are OK for me, too, but very occasionally.

I eat my carb meal at lunch. If I have it for breakfast my blood sugar seems to drop and I feel awful until I eat some meat, and if I have it for supper I get heartburn/acid reflux at night.

Good luck and take care.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-12, 00:15

Plan: Suzanne Somers; LC
Stats: 182.5/158/105 Female 5'
BF:Melting!
Progress: 32%

On the Somersize plan we just don't eat nuts on Level 1 - the beginning level. On that plan they are listed as a food that doesn't combine well with other foods especially when trying to lose weight. Once you hit maintenance you add back in some things and see how your body does. I know many people here eat them on their plans.
Kat