Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-08-18, 11:56

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 160/160/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Alcoholic Beverages

Hey everyone! What can we drink? I know the basics, but I'm a vodka and cranberry drinker and cannot stand the sweetness of Diet Cranberry juice. Any recommendations on something I can mix w/ vodka to give it a little sweetness, but also a little bitterness? I used 100% cranberry juice only b/c even the cranberry juice cocktail was just too sweet. I don't like soda water so that's out and diet sodas are also too sweet.

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-18, 15:55

Plan: Primal
Stats: 186/166/148 Male 72"
BF:
Progress: 53%

I like a splash of unsweetened pomegranate or cherry juice in vodka.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-18, 20:30

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

maybe enjoy a half serving or try using a cystal light product. there is a cranberry flavored one, if not this brand , a walmart brand.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-18, 18:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/150/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:
Default zero sprite

I like zero sprite and I don't think it tastes sweet at all. Add a little lemon or lime if you like.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-18, 20:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I sometimes have 1 oz of good, small batch gin in straight club soda and the juice of about 1/4 to 1/2 lemon. The lemon is 1 o2 2 carbs but it’s not an artificial sweetener and is a fresh and flavourful drink.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-18, 12:26

Plan: Atkins DANDR/ Candida
Stats: 300/195.2/172 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 82%

you could always use the Diet cranberry with a splash of lemon or lime to cut the sweetness
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-18, 14:56

Stats: 186/186/145 Female 5 foot 2 inches
BF:

Gin and Diet Tonic = 0 carbs
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-18, 04:29

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylpn1
Gin and Diet Tonic = 0 carbs

0 carbs, but not 0 calories and not 0 influence on weight loss, based on oxidative priority.

Quote:
Oxidative Priority

When ingesting a meal, the first thing to happen is your body stops adding Free Fatty Acids (FFA) …it shuts off lipolysis, so the blood is not overloaded with fuel. Then starts processing the fuels coming in in order of oxidative priority.

First Alcohol; there is no storage capacity for it, which makes it toxic. Your body must burn it off first, so it shuts off burning other fuels, which are instead stored and lead to weight gain.

Then Ketones, if ketones are elevated by exogenous ketones or MCT oil, then your body needs to deal with that fuel before burning fat from your fat stores.

Then Protein, the body’s building blocks for making and repairing lean body mass. If you take in excess protein (something that is hard to do) your body must burn that excess because there is little to no storage capacity for protein either. It would rather burn glucose or FFA. Glucose takes only two ATP, while gluconeogenesis from protein takes six ATP, then another two ATP to turn it into energy, so burning protein for fuel is inefficient.

Finally Carbohydrate and Fat are the body’s preferred fuel source. Almost every cell in the body is ready to burn glucose, but the body also keeps glucose in a tight range of 70-120 mg/dl. …or about 1 teaspoon! If you eat a massive dessert with 40 teaspoons of glucose when your body only wants 1 teaspoon, it will take a long time to use up that much sugar. So most all that fat that came with dessert will instead get stored in your fat cells while the body is dealing with the glucose to prevent damage to organs.

At last, you can burn fat when you have dealt with all these other fuels. But if you eat carbohydrate heavy meals and sugary snacks much of the day, then you may be in fat storage mode most of the day and rarely dip into your fat stores.

So a well-formulated ketogenic diet for weight loss is straight forward from this list. Don’t drink alcohol or exogenous ketones, eat moderate amount of protein, limit carbohydrates as much as you can, and eat enough fat to keep your hormones happy and appetite satiated. This allows the body to use stored fat for fuel.

Keto. - Craig and Maria Emmerich

My Christmas Scrooge persona OK to maintain for me, I but cannot lose weight with alcohol or wine.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Nov-27-18 at 06:10.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-18, 04:20

Stats: 186/186/145 Female 5 foot 2 inches
BF:

Interesting article Janet, will keep in mind over the Holidays
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-18, 15:42
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Booze kills my appetite, provides caloric energy, but stalls my weight-loss. It can also cause dehydration and water retention or bloating. Not worth it IME
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-19, 14:43

Plan: keto/atkins/no cow dairy
Stats: 230/217/170 Female 5" 8'
BF:
Progress: 22%

I can't lose anything with booze. I did find on my last low-carb trek (60lbs in 6 months) that if I hit a plateau, a couple glasses of white wine would get the scale moving again, albeit a few days after the fact. YMMV